NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Hi SVL7,

i have the clevo 370em3 with the 120hz display and 680m in sli configuration, i have the same flickering problems at 120hz as the 780m sli with 120hz .

i RMAd my notebook but i get it back with the same problem

my question: is there a vbios for the 680m sli that fix the flickering problem too ?

is it the clevo 4gb 680m ov bios for better 3d?

i have this problem for so long now and iam playing at 60hz all the time and thought i was the only one with these problems...

hope to get it fixed with your help.

i dont want to overclock the cards i just to fix the 120 hz flickering

thx

SVL7 often seems to be on the lookout for new VBIOS versions to mod, so he might mod your VBIOS for you (& others) if you post it up here. Use GPUz to dump the VBIOS to a file (it's the little button to the right of the VBIOS number in GPUz), and post it up here.

I followed your link to that thread, you managed to work out your max overclock at stock voltage, looks pretty good, very similar to my maximum overclock on stock voltage. That's a good omen for you getting some more performance out of your cards - as you can see mine get up to 1124Mhz on the core (which is applicable to you, because the 670MX is pretty much the same card as the 770M). What voltage is your stock voltage? 0.925V??

Yeah I will send them some money and post my vbios in hope they will mod it for me. Thanks for the tip.

I`m not sure what voltage I`m running. GTX 780M runs a bit lower than GTX 680M although they both are GK104, so perhaps my 770M is running slightly lower than your stock vbios. I will check it out and report back.

1124MHz? Holy crap thats fast dude. 200Mhz higher than my highest overclock lol. I have maximum temp of around 70C, plus I`m using a 330W PSU so I should absolutely have a decent amount of headroom for more clocks. Well if I haven`t recieved a rotten apple. They exist you know :)

Also, I thought I was gonna get the high voltage VRAM 780M have. The ones that can do 1500MHz+ on the VRAM. But it looks like I have the same memory as you? 1200MHz is pretty decent I guess. Maybe it will go higher with a new vbios too?

I will post more results later, when I got a working vbios :)

Yeah I will send them some money and post my vbios in hope they will mod it for me. Thanks for the tip.

I`m not sure what voltage I`m running. GTX 780M runs a bit lower than GTX 680M although they both are GK104, so perhaps my 770M is running slightly lower than your stock vbios. I will check it out and report back.

1124MHz? Holy crap thats fast dude. 200Mhz higher than my highest overclock lol. I have maximum temp of around 70C, plus I`m using a 330W PSU so I should absolutely have a decent amount of headroom for more clocks. Well if I haven`t recieved a rotten apple. They exist you know :)

Also, I thought I was gonna get the high voltage VRAM 780M have. The ones that can do 1500MHz+ on the VRAM. But it looks like I have the same memory as you? 1200MHz is pretty decent I guess. Maybe it will go higher with a new vbios too?

I will post more results later, when I got a working vbios :)

OK, sounds good, I'd be interested in hearing how you get on. You're a bit confused on the voltage thing though. The 780M (1.00V) runs at a higher voltage than the 680M (0.987V), also the 770M (0.968V) runs at a higher voltage than the 670MX (0.925V). Also, the modified VBIOS won't affect your memory clock, as the voltage that you can change is only related to the core, not the VRAM. Therefore, your maximum VRAM overclock will be the same on the modified VBIOS - the good thing about that is it's less work, you've already determined your max VRAM overclock.

You might be able to get the same core overclock as mine, but your max core overclock for a stable 3DMark run at 0.968V is 915Mhz, whereas at 0.968V I can get 1006Mhz through 3DMark11. So if I was to extrapolate those results I would guess your core would end up at about 1019Mhz at 1.05V (I wouldn't push the voltage any higher though). This is just my estimate though based on comparing our 2 GPU's. Having said that, I'd still rather have your system with sli 770M's!

Are you sure?

I remember hearing that the boost clock for GTX 680M is 0.987V and GTX 780M have boost clock at 0.981V.

Another question: Why can you overclock the VRAM only to 1100Mhz? We should have the same low voltage VRAM right? And that 1006Mhz on the cores, is that on stock voltage or with custom vbios?

Thanks for the tip on voltage cap btw. I know HaloGod managed to run his GTX 765M on 1.1V and several members at NBR say below 1.1V is fine. 1.05V seems like a reaonsable limit :)

At load the 780m goes up to 1.013V, at least that's what I got reported when I run it in the M15x. Way too much for that chip. Then again, most mobile cards have a default voltage that's too high for most chips. 680m was at 0.987V, but with certain Vbios versions it dropped slightly after a while.

If you want a better memory overclock you'll need increase the voltage with a hardmod. Well if you're luck a pencil mod might suffice.

I had recently had a card that wasn't able to overclock the memory by 5MHz without crashing, but was dead stable at stock memory clocks. If only one chip is bad then you reach the limit pretty soon.

Memory overclock is in most cases overrated. Or does the 770m / 670mx get bottlnecked by the memory bandwith when running at 1100MHz + core?

@Robbo: Many people say 670mx and 770m is basically the same card, just different clocks. Technically the first one's a GK104 die while the second one is GK106, though no idea whether there's an actual difference. The pics dies look pretty similar from what I've seen, but I can't remember properly. Theoretically the 770m should have a smaller die, just as the GTX 660.

960 cores would mean 5 SMX, that's a whole GK106 or a GK104 with 3 units disabled.

Thanks for the details and explanation svl.

As long as the 1200MHz on the VRAM is enough bandwidth, I`m not looking to have more hassle in terms of that hardmod you mention. I know I have 115.4GB/s on 1200MHz. GTX 680M have 115.2GB/s as stock so I think its enough? :)

But will confirm it once I get hold of a vbios that works on my machine.

You are probably thinking about GTX 675MX svl. That one is GK104 with 256bit bus and 960 cores. GTX 770M and GTX 670MX is only GK106 on 192bit with 960 cores as far as I`m aware. I was hoping 770M had high voltage VRAM like 780M, but since it doesn`t, its basically a GTX 670MX.

No, I was thinking about the 670mx. Vbios says it's GK104, and the die as well, I just checked some pictures, it's definitely GK104. 770m has a smaller die, GK106, just as the vbios.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thats strange. I googled up GPU-Z images and they were all GK104 like you say. Then Nvidia must have changed it later. Both notebookcheck and various news sites reported GTX 670MX as GK106 when it first came out. It was a way to have two cards on the market and charge more for the GK104 card (GTX 675MX).

NVIDIA Announces GeForce GTX 680MX, GTX 675MX and GTX 670MX Mobile GPUs | techPowerUp

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670MX - NotebookCheck.net Tech

AnandTech | NVIDIA Quietly Releases GeForce GTX 670MX and GTX 675MX for Notebooks

Man, now I feel even worse for having this GK106 crap. :(

Robbo shouldnt feel bad at all. At 1100MHz he have better memory bandwidth than me at 1200MHz.

EDIT: Even Nvidia reports 670MX as 192bit

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/notebook-gpus/geforce-gtx-670mx/specifications

Edit2: Duh. GTX 670MX is GK104 with 192bit bus. Not 256bit bus. Confusing. :P

@svl7, yep that's really good information from you, and it fits with what I knew about GK104/GK106/670MX/770M already. GK104: 670MX/675MX/680M/780M. GK106: 770M. Notebookcheck have it wrong I believe when they say the 670MX is GK106 (I think they just got confused by the fact it had the same general specifications as the GK106 GTX 660). I always figured 670MX would overclock better than the 'similar' 770M, due to the fact it's a bigger chip with more surface area: better cooling for one, better heat dissipation.

@Cloudfire: your memory overclock is good at 1200Mhz, I only get 1100Mhz as you know. It's just luck of the draw on the individual chips you end up with on your board. They're produced to a certain tolerance I guess, and there's inherent variations in their micro structure (if that's the correct phrase) that determines that there will be differences in their ability to run at certain frequencies at any given voltage. So, looks like you had better luck with your VRAM chips, and I had better luck with my core (differences between GK104 & GK106 aside).

@svl7: you asked me if the 1100Mhz VRAM was a bottleneck in games. I guess it's hard to quantify. If I have GPUz open when I'm gaming the memory controller load is a representation of the saturation of the memory bus I believe, but I may be wrong about that? When I'm gaming the memory controller load rarely goes above 70%, and in most games hovers around 40-50%. But, if I lower the memory overclock it will lower 3DMark scores a little. When I was doing my overclocking testing though, the percentage core overclock was more influential than the percentage VRAM overclock, so I think the core plays a bigger role. I think as long as you've got 'enough' memory bandwidth then you're sorted, but if you've not got enough, then performance would tank I reckon - I imagine a bit like when you run out of VRAM, but not quite as extreme! I get 106 GB/s bandwidth at 1100Mhz VRAM, so that's 10 GB/s less than a 680M. I'd like to have a bit more bandwidth, but I don't think it's become a major issue in any games yet - a lot of that evidenced by the GPU load mostly being 97-100%. I believe that if memory bandwidth was too low, then GPU load would plumment also, because I think that is a measurement of how busy the core is. A lot of what I've talked about right there is inferred by me observing the GPUz sensor readings while gaming, combined with some relatively limited knowledge on my part, so I can't guarantee whether all this stuff that I talk about is 100% correct. Haha, that's my disclaimer!

@svl7: Just a quick question. I tried undervolting by 50mv to see what clocks I could run at, just for fun really. But, when I ran a 3DMark11/3DMark13 run, in the result scores it just listed my GPU as Generic VGA. It hasn't done that before, and seemed to coincide with me trying the undervolt. If I run at stock or increased volts, then I still get 'Generic VGA' listed in the scores. I have installed the 331.82 driver recently, so could be that possibly, but wondered if by undervolting it once it had somehow changed something with how the GPU was recognised? (It's still recognised at 670MX in GPUz, NVidia Control Panel, etc).

Futuremark system information is bugged as hell, Kepler has been out for ages and it still doesn't manage to recognize the clock speed of the GPU, even though nvapi allows to easily read it out. I wouldn't be surprised if that's another annoying bug there.

About the memory... I doubt any of the mobile cards gets bottlenecked by it, at least not at 1080p. At 1440p an overclocked 670mx would most likely be quite a bit limited by stock memory when the core is pushed, but that scenario is still unlikely for laptop users.

Yeah, futuremark system info doesn't seem that reliable! I might try reinstalling that if I can be bothered, or I might just wait until the next driver update to see if that has any effect.

Yes, what you say about the memory is pretty much in-line with my experiences on this laptop.

Hi SVL7,

i have the clevo 370em3 with the 120hz display and 680m in sli configuration, i have the same flickering problems at 120hz as the 780m sli with 120hz .

i RMAd my notebook but i get it back with the same problem

my question: is there a vbios for the 680m sli that fix the flickering problem too ?

is it the clevo 4gb 680m ov bios for better 3d?

i have this problem for so long now and iam playing at 60hz all the time and thought i was the only one with these problems...

hope to get it fixed with your help.

i dont want to overclock the cards i just to fix the 120 hz flickering

Did you already try the vbios posted in this thread?

I love the 780 modded vbios. I have both my msi gt60s running smoothly without any throttling!

I do have a quick question. I just picked up a razer blade 2013 model.

I was wondering if the Dell 765m 14in AW will work with this system?

Thank you in advanced.

HI i have a clevo 370em3 laptop with 680m sli and iam affected with the 120h flickering and crashes.

At 60hz i have no problems .

i saw in an other forum that there is a solution for the 780m sli by svl7 , now i would like to ask if there is a solution for the 680m sli too?

I RMA my laptop but after one month away and replacing the motherboard the failure was still there as before.

i would be so happy to solve the problem with my laptop .

thx

---

No i did not try a vbios in this thread, because i don't know which one i have to choose ...

one of these ?

but which one?

• same with increased 3d voltage ('OV') -> refer to the file name (Same warning as above applies to P1xxHM users).

---

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9682[/ATTACH]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/egf9trzegfooixd/GK104.rom

these are my cards

thx

@quickcrusader: I'm sorry, I think your attachment got messed up somehow, I can't access it. Can you upload it again?

I do have a quick question. I just picked up a razer blade 2013 model.

I was wondering if the Dell 765m 14in AW will work with this system?

You mean whether the Dell vbios will work in the Razer? No, that most likely won't work. Besides, I think the vbios of the Razer is part of the bios.

@quickcrusader: I'm sorry, I think your attachment got messed up somehow, I can't access it. Can you upload it again?

You mean whether the Dell vbios will work in the Razer? No, that most likely won't work. Besides, I think the vbios of the Razer is part of the bios.

How are you able to tell? GPUZ says 80.06.44.00.ff but its unable to download it.

hi,

i tested rev 2 vbios, but i think somthing went wrong, the cards performed very bad

Okay. I have a hunch about where the problem lies with that, the attached version might fix it. If not let me know, there's a second possibility.

If it won't work in the end I might have to go to the older vbios version, because there is an issue with the stock version of this vbios.

EDIT: File removed.

• Brian featured this topic