NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

I used some copper flashing and other scrap metal. I wedged metal under the edge of the heatpipes that runs out under the steel retention bracket to hold to bracket up for each screw. Then I made shims for each screw to widen the area they pushed down on. You can probably get away with a much simpler solution of just big shims that reach well into the plate to push down directly.

The idea behind lapping in this case is not to make the heatsink smooth, but to just make it level. Smooth is nice and helps a little, but the big deal is making it level. This gets a 10C+ improvement on clevos due to how they smash the heatpipes into the plate, warping the plate. If you look closely you can see stress marks on the die side of the copper late directly under the heatpipes. For the GPU I used an edge of a stone countertop to get between the mounting brackets. For the CPU I used the countertop itself since it does not have brackets poking through (which may not be true for the P370EM).

Very good temperatures those seem! What kind of mod did you do?

Reduced both copper plates, GPU htsnk doesn't need that much reduction and molded the mosfet Fujipoly pads specific size increasing the gaps between them, basically more warm air gaps for better heat dissipation than the htsnk itself and let it rise :D (lower density)

I will post pics after upgrading the MB...did you use the mosfet AL strip ?

Reduced both copper plates, GPU htsnk doesn't need that much reduction and molded the mosfet Fujipoly pads specific size increasing the gaps between them, basically more warm air gaps for better heat dissipation than the htsnk itself and let it rise :D (lower density)

I will post pics after upgrading the MB...did you use the mosfet AL stripes ?

Ah, I see what you mean about the specifically sized Fujipoly pads. Do you mean you reduced the copper heatsink all the way back to expose the heat pipes directly to the GPU?

When you ask about me using the mosfet AL strips, do you mean did I use that folded piece of aluminium with pads on that chip I was having difficulty covering? I haven't done that yet, I'm relying on my current 'botch' job! If the card fails, then you can just say 'told you so'! I may do that mod you suggested to me with the aluminium strip & pads another time.

Ah, I see what you mean about the specifically sized Fujipoly pads. Do you mean you reduced the copper heatsink all the way back to expose the heat pipes directly to the GPU?

When you ask about me using the mosfet AL strips, do you mean did I use that folded piece of aluminium with pads on that chip I was having difficulty covering? I haven't done that yet, I'm relying on my current 'botch' job! If the card fails, then you can just say 'told you so'! I may do that mod you suggested to me with the aluminium strip & pads another time.

I reduced the copper plate without exposing the heatpipes, double pipe cpu htsnk will not cover the die so exposing them will increase the temp difference between cores. Better cover that chip, when stressed it reaches 120C with htsnk contact.

The overclocking potential of this vBIOS with those temps is highly increased only limited by the 240W PSU 780M/XM temporarily...

The 780m vbios is a god send. It works really well. 1006/6008Mhz @1.0125v everything was rock steady in 3DMark 11 and I'm sure I can go higher. I scored around P9400 with a 10000+ Physics score and that was with my CPU at only 4.0Ghz Sandy Bridge used to need 4.5Ghz to get that score.

Hello Chief :) I see that you have a Dell GTX 780 card :) Unfortunately, I have the opportunity to purchase only the Clevo card to my M18x R2 :( I know it should not be problems but ....Do you still need to modify drivers - despite having the card dell 780m??

I reduced the copper plate without exposing the heatpipes, double pipe cpu htsnk will not cover the die so exposing them will increase the temp difference between cores. Better cover that chip, when stressed it reaches 120C with htsnk contact.

The overclocking potential of this vBIOS with those temps is highly increased only limited by the 240W PSU 780M/XM temporarily...

You had me worried, so I took the cover off the bottom of the laptop & ran Heaven benchmark on it on a loop. I was able to get underneath while it was running & feel how hot the heatsink was getting in various places. The entire heatsink area, both over the mosfets at the top of the card, and over the VRAM was really quiet hot to the touch. I could keep my finger on the heatsink for maybe half a second before I had to remove it. The heat seemed quite uniform over the heatsink, but I don't think it was getting up to 120 degC, because I don't think I would have been able to touch it for so long if that was the case. I think the 670MX runs a bit cooler than the 580M and 680M, so I think the mosfets don't get so hot on this card. I have covered that chip with pads, and when I felt the pads over that chip I could feel the heat, but it wasn't quite as hot as the metal heatsink to the touch (not surprising because metal feels hotter to the touch for any given temperature). But the pads felt hot enough, that I think they are drawing heat away from that chip that we've been talking about. I know it's not as effective as having the heatsink in direct contact with it, but I'm happy with it for now. If the card does fail though, then I'll just blame myself & learn from the mistake for next time I install a GPU!

Also, it's a bit problematical to do that mod you described with the aluminium strip & pads because the ideal gap between the heatsink at that point is suitable for a 1mm pad. If I use an alu strip plus pads on either side too, then it will be too thick for level heatsink contact I think.

Does this only happen since you flashed the vbios? Temps are totally ok.

It doesn't seem that the voltages are unlocked on the K3000M card either. Should I be left to assume that this is a system board restriction?'

Also, there is some incentive in getting me a dell K3000M unlocked vbios for my current revision. ;)

@ svl7

I have a Notebook with P170EM mainboard and Intel processor.

Its a single gpu. My OS is Windows 7 64bit.

The stock vbios was "exactly the same" ver. 80.04.58.00.05 (stock)

.post-15179-14494995963217_thumb.jpg

edit:

Oh I saw it too late. P0-State but PCI 2.0 only?

Is that right?

Is there any way to get a vBIOS for the Clevo W230ST 765m with unlocked voltage or at least a fixed voltage? Will vBIOS patcher work with this? Thanks.

Vbios version?

@ svl7

I have a Notebook with P170EM mainboard and Intel processor.

Its a single gpu. My OS is Windows 7 64bit.

The stock vbios was "exactly the same" ver. 80.04.58.00.05 (stock)

.[ATTACH=CONFIG]8760[/ATTACH]

edit:

Oh I saw it too late. P0-State but PCI 2.0 only?

Is that right?

So, if you overclock nothing happens? Make sure to run the Nvidia Inspector with admin rights.

• Brian featured this topic