NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Svl7, does fan speed profiles still work with the modified vbios for the 780? I have been keeping my fan speed at 100 percent lately(gt60) has a turbo fan button. However I was doing some gaming and I noticed the fan RPM never changed.

I recently flashed my (new, less than four weeks old) Dell M6700 with the K3000M vBIOS listed and am having some new challenges with the laptop.

Intermittently, the video on the laptop shuts off completely, but not before wigging out on screen for less than a second. I see colors and a few bars and lots of pixelation. This inst (I'm fairly certain) a heat issue, as the M6700 laptop has the dual fan design and is sitting on top of a cooling pad. Ambient GPU temp is somewhere around 23C when this happens. Routinely when rendering in AfterEffects it will hit 61C, but that is not high compared to my desktop OR E6420 with it's NVS4200M.

Svl7, is there specific information you may need to know about in order to assist?

Here are my system specifications:

Windows 7x64

Core i7-3740QM

32GB DDR3-1333 RAM

nVidia K3000M GPU

Optimus disabled

[EDIT]

I have attached my original vBIOS in case you want to take a look at it. It looks newer than the one on the list currently.

Dell_M6700_nVidia_K3000M.zip

[EDIT]

Fixed wording.

Hello there I have been using all the mods from the community (BIOS, vBIOS, light controller) which are great btw. Only sometime ago I have started to notice that my GPU (GTX680m) has been "shutting down" like if I leave it idle for too long it is like I have removed my gpu (not detected by the system, games or even nvidia control panel) and only restarting makes it active again. Sometimes after a full shutdown and turning on I get a BSOD the system restarts and boots normally, I think it is due to the gpu not being detected on the first boot. I haven't tried rolling back to stock everything yet. Does anyone have any idea of what might be going on? Could it be a hardware failure? Cheers

hello

my first post here.

I have an Dell Precision M6700 with a Quadro k3000m. Iv'e read that this configuration is overclockable. The standard OC i can make is +135MHz, but with the vBios instaled i can go to +400 MHz.

Is it safe? How can i download the proper vBios?

cheers

Hello there I have been using all the mods from the community (BIOS, vBIOS, light controller) which are great btw. Only sometime ago I have started to notice that my GPU (GTX680m) has been "shutting down" like if I leave it idle for too long it is like I have removed my gpu (not detected by the system, games or even nvidia control panel) and only restarting makes it active again. Sometimes after a full shutdown and turning on I get a BSOD the system restarts and boots normally, I think it is due to the gpu not being detected on the first boot. I haven't tried rolling back to stock everything yet. Does anyone have any idea of what might be going on? Could it be a hardware failure? Cheers

I had similar strange problems with my GTX 560M (the card I used to have installed), and I managed to solve the problem by reseating the GPU in the slot. So, it could just be down to a bad connection that might be solved by reseating.

anyone have any comments after using the 780m vbios on an alienware 18 ? Do the fans work like normal, any issues at all , or does it only unlock potential but otherwise keep all settings the same? Any information would be welcome, thanks

I've had no issues at all after flashing both cards with the TI vBIOS, everything works exactly the same as before, only betta.

Hey Svl7 any updates on an overvolted 675mx? and if no can you give me some pointers on overvolting. I know theres the P0,P5 and P8. but which one would you overvolt and what would be a recommended voltage ?

Yes, thanks! I was passing out and posted on the way to bed - ha. I had backed mine up but like all good usb drives, that one went to the thumb drive heaven in the skies shortly after.

Other than bad paste, can a bad gpu cause overheating? I have never really experienced this. (Referring to a NP9370 with SLI 680s. GPU2 is running a whopping 30 degrees hotter than GPU 1 - in games and in benchmarks). I repasted once with the pea method and once with the spread method and yielded the same results. I don't know what else to do rather than to RMA it. But I am open to suggestions! It wasn't overclocked. It has the stock volt "unlocked" vBios installed as does the other card.It has been running fine for months and just randomly I started getting some tearing and lines on the screen - so I started checking temps. If I turn on a bench like Unigine Valley or Heaven, this card will hit 90 degrees with fans on full blast in about a minute! The fans are all operational - but I am running out of ideas.

When I repaste, I use ArctiClean products as well. I was using Tuniq TX-2 for paste. The room I am working in is about 21C. When this card is running at 90 the other card is around 63C. If anyone has a suggestion or something worth trying - I am open to suggestion.

And I thought I was done with this machine! Haha. Thanks guys!

Is the fan on that GPU kicking up? Any dust in the heatsink for that GPU? Can't think of anything else.

Is the fan on that GPU kicking up? Any dust in the heatsink for that GPU? Can't think of anything else.

It appears to be running fine, and I have gassed her out with the ol' can of air - I am going to try reseating with a different thermal paste. I mean, I have only heard of it happening - but maybe I got a bad tube?

It sounds like you are getting poor die contact. If you have good die contact almost all the paste should be squeezed out from between the die and heatsink so that the die looks almost bare when removing the heatsink. I'm guessing that the paste needs to be very thick to make it between the die and heatsink so that you can't see the die at all after heatsink removal. If so then you need to increase pressure on the heatsink. This can be done by placing wide shims between the heatsink and heatsink screws so that the screws push down directly onto the heatsink instead of indirectly through the very thin steel.

In addition clevos heatsink assembly process is a bad one that warps the processor contact plate, but this issue affects both GPUs and the CPU, so it should not be the cause of your temperature discrepancy.

I was actually thinking that, and your assumption is correct in terms of what it looks like when I remove the heatsink. Where can I get a shims like you describe? The right size and all that? The other thing I was looking at is lapping the heatsink, not sure if that will do any good at all in this configuration. But from PC experience, it seemed the same that it wasnt getting enough pressure. I just didnt know how to increase it and see if someone else came to that conclusion - I really appreciate your help!

• Brian featured this topic