NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

That's just the way it is with GPUz. It's DDR which is Dual Data Rate so it is running at 5Ghz don't worry. Everyone's will show the same.

GDDR5 is really quad data rate, not dual data rate. That's why 1250 is 5GHz. I do not know why it is has DDR in the name, but it's not DDR.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello, thanks for your reply,

i tried oc with xtu, but when i overclock i only get to 3,45GHZ, till 3,46Ghz i get a freeze and a restart.

How can i oc further? is there anything i have to deactivate ? increasing the voltage doesnt helped.

thanks in advance

greetz

I have a 4800MQ in an Alienware 17 with similar behavior. Try LOWERING the voltage if your BIOS allows XTU to change that. The Alienware systems have a default of 1.2V and that causes the Haswell CPU to "power throttle" and sometimes shut down if you try to overclock the 4800MQ. I am seeing better results with the core voltage set at about 1.165V to 1.175V so that might work for you as well. You will also need to raise your Processor Current Limit with XTU if your BIOS allows that. Try around 75.000A with your CPU. I am running about 135.000A on the 4930MX in an Alienware 18, but the 4800MQ in the Alienware 17 cannot not handle more than about 75.000A. Also try increasing the Processor Cache Ratio to match your max multiplier on core 0 and set the cache voltage the same as core voltage.

Hey, Im new to the whole VBIOS modding thing. How easy/difficult would it be to revert back to the stock BIOS if I wanted to change it back?

Well, it's just as easy as flashing a modded one in the first place, so if you can flash it the first time I don't see why you couldn't easily flash it back to the original - but you'd obviously want to do a backup of your existing vBIOS to start with!

I have a 4800MQ in an Alienware 17 with similar behavior. Try LOWERING the voltage if your BIOS allows XTU to change that. The Alienware systems have a default of 1.2V and that causes the Haswell CPU to "power throttle" and sometimes shut down if you try to overclock the 4800MQ. I am seeing better results with the core voltage set at about 1.165V to 1.175V so that might work for you as well. You will also need to raise your Processor Current Limit with XTU if your BIOS allows that. Try around 75.000A with your CPU. I am running about 135.000A on the 4930MX in an Alienware 18, but the 4800MQ in the Alienware 17 cannot not handle more than about 75.000A. Also try increasing the Processor Cache Ratio to match your max multiplier on core 0 and set the cache voltage the same as core voltage.

Hey Mr. Fox,

Thanks for your reply.

I downloaded the newest XTU version "4.1.0.12" from Computerbase, and voila i can raise my multi for 1 core from 34 to 36, 4 cores from 32 to 34.! thats impressive,

but when i updatet xtu, i cannot clock the bclk higher, its locked, i can only modify "Core voltage, processor cache ratio, dynamic cpu voltage offset and processor cache voltage offset" the other things are locked.

now i got the next problem, is it normal that if i benchmark the cpu it sporadical clocks down during the benchmark, from 3,29 to 2,99 or 2,79 and then it jumps again back to 3,29ghz, the temps are highest 74 celsius.

thats really annoying,!

how about your 4800mq? i only get 670 xtu score and windows index is 7,6.

thanks in advance

greetz

You can adjust the settings with Nvidia Inspector or Evga Precision, you will get much more than 500 additional points on the GPU score in 3dM11, 10k GPU is doable with this vbios. Power is not everything, there are some more tricks in that modified vbios.

Hey Mr. Fox,

Thanks for your reply.

I downloaded the newest XTU version "4.1.0.12" from Computerbase, and voila i can raise my multi for 1 core from 34 to 36, 4 cores from 32 to 34.! thats impressive,

but when i updatet xtu, i cannot clock the bclk higher, its locked, i can only modify "Core voltage, processor cache ratio, dynamic cpu voltage offset and processor cache voltage offset" the other things are locked.

now i got the next problem, is it normal that if i benchmark the cpu it sporadical clocks down during the benchmark, from 3,29 to 2,99 or 2,79 and then it jumps again back to 3,29ghz, the temps are highest 74 celsius.

thats really annoying,!

how about your 4800mq? i only get 670 xtu score and windows index is 7,6.

thanks in advance

greetz

Go into the BIOS and enable the overclocking options and try to enable the option for "Extreme Edition" if that setting is available. You can change the multipliers in the BIOS the same as XTU. If you see an option to use cTDP or BIOS, select BIOS.

The trottling down to non-turbo ratios should be address by Alienware in a BIOS update before long. They know of this issue. The Core Current Limit is set too low for turbo ratios to work.

That's just the way it is with GPUz. It's DDR which is Dual Data Rate so it is running at 5Ghz don't worry. Everyone's will show the same.

Owh..thnx for clarifying my doubt.. am juz about to ovrclock it to match with 2500.. =p One more thing, my fren did said that gpu inside alien 17 with 120hz 3d screen always been underclock..is it true?

• Brian featured this topic