NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I went ahead and applied a larger voltage increase (+75mV), but GPU-z still shows 1.012v under load. I can see that the core and memory slider increases are being applied, but so far voltage seems to stay the same.

The modded bios is still great, though. I noticed that if I back down a lot on the memory (to just +100), I can get +150MHz stable on the core, which is something I couldn't do before.

@slv7

The Asus system will have a crippled abomination of a MXM card, or maybe even an on-board solution... Don't take it for granted that you will be able to flash the bios or vbios without any issues or complications.

Are you serious?? Is this a fact based on official released info, or 'educated' speculation? If true, then I'm not sure what to do... I hate the keyboards (SteelSeries) on MSIs and Clevo is not something I want to go towards. I have the GTX780DXR now, and the keyboard is pretty and all, and good for gaming / (keyboard banging), but not very good for everyday 'typing' way too many missed strokes, and you really have to push hard to get some keys to register. Not to mention 'Uneven' lighting (which bothers me (maybe ok for others, but not me)).

@ck2500

I don't think it's necessarily a PSU problem, because right now I'm using a modified Dell/Delta 240W __af_placement_id--[AFF-PLACEMENT-ID].html"]powersupply. I read on NBR forums that the stock Clevo 180W PSU wasn't enough for the +135/+500 overclock, so I prepared a modified PSU (...and even took the chance to make a guide for it there)

Very nice! How did you do it? Would you be so kind as to provide a link? Do you use the same handle at NBR?

Thank you both for chiming in.

@slv7

svl7 :P

Are you serious?? Is this a fact based on official released info, or 'educated' speculation? If true, then I'm not sure what to do... I hate the keyboards (SteelSeries) on MSIs and Clevo is not something I want to go towards. I have the GTX780DXR now, and the keyboard is pretty and all, and good for gaming / (keyboard banging), but not very good for everyday 'typing' way too many missed strokes, and you really have to push hard to get some keys to register. Not to mention 'Uneven' lighting (which bothers me (maybe ok for others, but not me)).

Yes I'm totally serious. No, I haven't seen any pics of the new G series disassembled, but when it comes to building a versatile and good gaming notebook Asus's track record is pretty poor if you ask me.

It's even worse when you look at what they do with the graphics solution they use in their systems. In the past the only part of it that was MXM conform was the connector. The board layout was something totally proprietary, and it got worse with each generation.

Up to know the GPU of the G73JH is the one that looks most MXM of all, but it is not for several reasons.

The JW had a crazy 460m board and won't take any other GPU, though I got the 660m to work in it, but only with a special vbios.

The VW was the same, the successor of it was even worse, everything soldered to the motherboard and the G75 of last year has a crazy GPU which doesn't even look remotely like an MXM card.

It'd be nothing but foolish to think or hope that the upcoming Asus flagship "gaming" notebook will be any better when it comes to the GPU.

I'm sure it will perform ok and everything, but don't expect being able to upgrade the GPU sometime, and it is not granted that it will be possible to flash a modified bios / vbios, as I said... maybe it will work, but no guarantee at all, to tell this you will have to wait until someone has a system, or send me one and I'll test it :P

• Thumbs Up 1

@slv7

Up to know the GPU of the G73JH is the one that looks most MXM of all, but it is not for several reasons.

The JW had a crazy 460m board and won't take any other GPU, though I got the 660m to work in it, but only with a special vbios.

The VW was the same, the successor of it was even worse, everything soldered to the motherboard and the G75 of last year has a crazy GPU which doesn't even look remotely like an MXM card.

Thank you for that warning. I had no idea... Well, I guess it's back to the shopping cart / research time. I need to decide either Clevo or Alienware. MSI is out of the question for me due to 'usability' issues which pertains to my specific needs. Also, it means that I may not have to wait around for ASUS to release their 'crippled' laptop.

I appreciate your input. I'll put some more due diligence into this and get a laptop that will support 'your' modded bios :)

Thank you very much. You may have just save me another 2 years of agony....

Here is a link to the 240W PSU guide: HTWingNut's Sager NP8250 / Clevo P157SM Review - Page 5 Yes, I have the same handle on the NBR forums. By the way, the guide is specifically for the Clevo P150EM / P150SM series with a 2.5mm x 5.5mm connector, and so you'll need to adapt the instructions to whatever connector your laptop uses. I would also try to use at least 16AWG for the spliced cable.

Here is a link to the 240W PSU guide: HTWingNut's Sager NP8250 / Clevo P157SM Review - Page 5 Yes, I have the same handle on the NBR forums. By the way, the guide is specifically for the Clevo P150EM / P150SM series with a 2.5mm x 5.5mm connector, and so you'll need to adapt the instructions to whatever connector your laptop uses. I would also try to use at least 16AWG for the spliced cable.

Thank you for the link. I think I get the idea. However, I will comment that your method looks rather dangerous / potential fire hazard. There is another guy / gal there who goes by the handle "Meaker" whos' done a similar PSU mod on a 330 watt PSU. What he did was to open up the PSU itself, and solder in the connectors, then close it back up. The finished result looks as if it's custom made. Of course, this means scanvenging the original connector cable from the original PSU.

I'm going to attempt this when I buy a new laptop (in decision process). And when I do, I will post my results.

Thanks.

There is also one here on msi forums. I am using a dell 240 watts for my msi gt60. Works flawlessly and can overclock your cpu or gpu plus fsb too. now for that gtx780m owners here... Will some of you nb gurus post a screen shot of 3dmark 2013 Firestrike? I want to know the results with the vbios mod of Svl7 here.. btw... @svl7, what vbios version you modded for 780m? 30p?

@slv7

Thank you for that warning. I had no idea... Well, I guess it's back to the shopping cart / research time. I need to decide either Clevo or Alienware. MSI is out of the question for me due to 'usability' issues which pertains to my specific needs. Also, it means that I may not have to wait around for ASUS to release their 'crippled' laptop.

I appreciate your input. I'll put some more due diligence into this and get a laptop that will support 'your' modded bios :)

Thank you very much. You may have just save me another 2 years of agony....

Honestly Clevo/Sager are great machines aside from the speakers. I currently own a barebone MSI that I got for around $800 with a 675MX and I just bough all the rest of the parts on Ebay at fairly cheep prices. The keyboard is actually great and I love it to death, no missed strokes or anything. Speakers are also great, screen too... there's really not much to complain about besides the looks which aren't as low profile as I'd like. Alienware would really be my last choice, I went that route last year and discovered it's all about looks for them. They are extremely overpriced as well so you really don't get what you pay for. I'd suggest to get a clevo/sager or MSI notebook for the amazing performance you get at a really low cost. Overall I would suggest an MSI barebones notebook though as it's the cheapest and has great better speakers then clevo/sager .. not sure what "usability" issues you have with them, have you even tried one?

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly Clevo/Sager are great machines aside from the speakers. I currently own a barebone MSI that I got for around $800 with a 675MX and I just bough all the rest of the parts on Ebay at fairly cheep prices. The keyboard is actually great and I love it to death, no missed strokes or anything. Speakers are also great, screen too... there's really not much to complain about besides the looks which aren't as low profile as I'd like. Alienware would really be my last choice, I went that route last year and discovered it's all about looks for them. They are extremely overpriced as well so you really don't get what you pay for. I'd suggest to get a clevo/sager or MSI notebook for the amazing performance you get at a really low cost. Overall I would suggest an MSI barebones notebook though as it's the cheapest and has great better speakers then clevo/sager .. not sure what "usability" issues you have with them, have you even tried one?

OK, I'm now seriously considering the MSI whitebook 1763 model (Without the SteelSeries Full back-lit keyboard). It's either MSI 1763 barebone or Alienware 17. I'm sure many MSI folks have used the unlocked bios. For those who are using, I would like to request some information regarding the temperatures. And based on what I can gather, the single fan design does have the machine running pretty hot. It seems almost 80C is unavoidable playing the latest for about 30 minutes - 1 hour (if it takes that long to reach that temperature).

For current owners of the 1763 (or the dragon edition 2 / GT70-2OD), using the unlocked bios, have you noticed any difference in temperature at all? It goes without saying, if you overclock it, it will run hotter, but at default unlocked state with base frequencies and voltages running exactly at the stock bios levels, does it run any hotter? If someone would be so kind to post some detailed temperature scenarios comparing the original bios vs. the unlocked bios, I would certainly appreciate it.

TYVM!

i have an unlock bios, a modded ecfirmware by svet, and modded vbios done by svl7. combine those three ingredients works like a charm. google clevo/sager heatsink foil or fan foil (something like that) on how to lower your temps while playing dx 11 games. All of these I mentioned will be a great advantage to you when you have an nb.... now time for me to sleep :-)

OK, I'm now seriously considering the MSI whitebook 1763 model (Without the SteelSeries Full back-lit keyboard). It's either MSI 1763 barebone or Alienware 17. I'm sure many MSI folks have used the unlocked bios. For those who are using, I would like to request some information regarding the temperatures. And based on what I can gather, the single fan design does have the machine running pretty hot. It seems almost 80C is unavoidable playing the latest for about 30 minutes - 1 hour (if it takes that long to reach that temperature).

For current owners of the 1763 (or the dragon edition 2 / GT70-2OD), using the unlocked bios, have you noticed any difference in temperature at all? It goes without saying, if you overclock it, it will run hotter, but at default unlocked state with base frequencies and voltages running exactly at the stock bios levels, does it run any hotter? If someone would be so kind to post some detailed temperature scenarios comparing the original bios vs. the unlocked bios, I would certainly appreciate it.

TYVM!

I don't have a 680m, only a 675mx, but heat wise I wouldn't think the cards would be too different. I overclock the 675mx with svl7s vbios and msi afterburner +333 core/+350 on mem boosting it from around 4000 to 6000+ on 3dmark 11. Even with this I only get around 80C. Playing Crysis 3 and FarCry 3 with these clock speeds the gpu will get around 85C. There's a button on the top of all new MSI notebooks that maxes out the fan speed, its annoying but you really need it on, especially while overclocking. I also applied some diamond thermal compound to the GPU and CPU, not sure how much it helps but I'm sure it does a little for the temps.

I'm not sure where you're looking, but if you do go with the MSI whitebook this site is by far the cheapest site I've seen the whitebook models, I bought mine there after clicking every link on Google. You can get a 16F4 barebone model (the one after mine) for only $1218 and it has the GT780M graphics. I'd definitely go with it.. tell me if you find a site offering it for cheaper. Oh, and no taxes on that site either.

Edit: Actually, it seems things have changed within the last couple months, this site might be a little cheaper. Still please tell me if you find one cheaper then that.

Edit: OK, so it seems like you might just want to go to xotic pc and get their barebone model. Before, after calculating everything for my system, (barebone, all the parts with it and shipping) it came out to be $100 less then the one xoticpc had up, but now it seems like the new haswell processor is pretty expensive and along with everything else you might just want to check them out instead. You still might save a little building yourself but I'm just not sure.

@elmo not true. Cheapest at Provantage. PROVANTAGE: Availability of MSI Notebook 937-176322-001 17.3" HSW Core i7 i5 GT780M W8 DVDRW 9 Cell RTL By MSI But those are as you know w/ no, with the cpu, disk and memory, specs I want it still reaches $2K range. I need to decide soon though... Thanks for the links.

Edit: I think we're going off topic here... Let's stay focused on the modded vbios, settings / temps etc.., thanks.

@elmo not true. Cheapest at Provantage. PROVANTAGE: Availability of MSI Notebook 937-176322-001 17.3" HSW Core i7 i5 GT780M W8 DVDRW 9 Cell RTL By MSI But those are as you know w/ no, with the cpu, disk and memory, specs I want it still reaches $2K range. I need to decide soon though... Thanks for the links.

Edit: I think we're going off topic here... Let's stay focused on the modded vbios, settings / temps etc.., thanks.

Haha oh yeah almost forgot what this thread was all about, sorry slv7! Anyways, hope you get a good deal. Good luck!

with unlocked vbios it will only let me go to 993 core on 780m. I can set the slider on msi afterburner or nvinspector higher but actual core doesn't change.

has anyone used svets vbios tuner. minimum donation seems to be 15 euros. it is any better than using the vbios's posted here.

with unlocked vbios it will only let me go to 993 core on 780m. I can set the slider on msi afterburner or nvinspector higher but actual core doesn't change.

has anyone used svets vbios tuner. minimum donation seems to be 15 euros. it is any better than using the vbios's posted here.

Which vbios are you talking about?

And no, that tool is a bad idea, it has issues and might brick your card when used with the vbios posted here.

Which vbios are you talking about?

And no, that tool is a bad idea, it has issues and might brick your card when used with the vbios posted here.

I have a vbios that has the 135 oc limit took off. Now I can set the overclock slider to +600 max if I want but card only goes to 993 core max even though slider is set higher. with the vbios posted here what core clocks can you get up to.

Any clock, until your card can't handle it anymore and crashes the driver.

strange thing is it doesn't crash the driver. it just wont go above 993. all benchmark tests run ok and don't crash.

does the 780m vbios overclock edition posted on page 2 work on any 780m. I have MSI GT70 dragon edition 2. Thanks.

• Brian featured this topic