NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

paladinjake: All 680m's throttle at 90C. The absolute limit is 95C, and the temperature probe isn't 100% accurate. If you disable the throttling then there's a very good chance your card's going to die.

As for why it's so hot even at stock speeds.. Sager's kind of ridiculous. They have the part of the copper cooling pipe that contacts the card bent so that it doesn't conduct heat as well. To correct this, you need to take the cooling unit out and actually sand it down until it's flat. You may want to apply better thermal paste while you're at it (though I dunno what Sager uses; it might be fine).

svl7: Do you think it's possible to write a vbios (for a Dell 680m, but preferably all of them) where the P5 clock is at 757 mhz? I just had a stroke of genius -- Being constantly overvolted might be dangerous, but the 680m doesn't allow us to change the voltage without a reflash. So, set P8 to be 135 mhz (or however low it's supposted to be), and then set P5 to be 757 mhz (or whichever the stock value is for that particular model). That way, you can run at P5 all the time if you want stock speeds and close to stock voltage, and when you set it back to auto it'll run at your maximum overclock with the overvolt!... In theory, anyway.

This does appear safe from my standpoint -- There's /another/ clock entirely for the rate it's set at boot (I have no idea what P-level it is, but it doesn't seem possible to tweak it. On my system it's accessed by doing -forcepstate:0,0.), so after the mod the system should still boot up at roughly 400 mhz without placing too much draw on the battery.

The only drawback is the fact that only P0 automatically switches to a low-power state during idle, but it should be possible to write a program that reads how much use the GPU is getting (MSI Afterburner does that, after all) and switch from P8 to P5 to PBoot (to emulate the old P5) and back again as if it were in P0.

I am new to this scene and this forum. I have a MSI gt70one with gtx680m. I also flashed the latest bios from MSI's website. I have some problems with random framedrops in all games and also a strange graphical glitch in the volume mixer, specifically the system sounds bar. It glitches out. Now is my question: will a vbios flash fix this glitch and any particular framedrops i have? And the last question: can anyone tell whether they also have huge lag in Starcraft 2, even when in low graphics settings? And the game also lags when I am viewing my ladder stats in game. The game is very unplayable!! Any help would be helpful! Thnx a new user

That is some really good observations from you. I also have a m6700 with a dual core 3540m and a K5000m. Temps in game never go above 75 degrees Celsius and the entire unit never throttles. I hope to be able to try out the new vbios that will enable me to do some serious OC on my card. Also I am swapping the CPU next with a 3940XM.

For me the topic is interesting, i owned M17x R3 for a year (with 580M GTX) and it was getting ridicilously hot even at stock clocks. It was throttling all the time and GPU reached 80c. I have seen m6700 and m17x cooling systems and they are pretty similar setup, but where comes that big difference?

btw i played some games, laptop was placed in the bed with half of vent holes blocked, and in 4 hours of gaming GPU max temp reached only 68c, while GPU was running on 1100MHz (+400MHz OC). The fans were not fully engaged at any time, also after applying the OC-ed vbios, K3000M does not throttle on the battery (normally was stuck at 135Mhz) which is goooood... It means im able to play all games on the battery.

Well and crysis 3 was running ultra settings@1080 with my K3000M 30-40FPS very playable, GRID2 max out getting 35-45fps around 60% more fps and performance gain only with +400MHz. I wonder why did they underclock those cards, for me it still does not make any sence.. :)

Thank you SVL7, great work!

For me the topic is interesting, i owned M17x R3 for a year (with 580M GTX) and it was getting ridicilously hot even at stock clocks. It was throttling all the time and GPU reached 80c. I have seen m6700 and m17x cooling systems and they are pretty similar setup, but where comes that big difference?

But 580M is a Fermi core in 40nm. You can't really directly compare its temperature to the Kepler core (28nm) one.

mine was the same original but i found the 33 10 better. I dont understand, if i use the 33 10 stock without OV and clock it to +130 / +600 i get higher score than if i use a OV 1.025v or 1.05 and clock to +230 / +600 wtf? i mean i got the P150EM with the 180W PSU and i dont have a XM cpu just a 3610QM shouldnt i have space to Overclock? why am i getting lower score like 200-400.

EDIT: +130/550 3dmark vantage 24800 score and 3dmark 11 P7255. I have the 7970M aswell and it scores higher ( 26k vantage) with the same Notebook, well its optimized for benchmark probably. Well i dont know why my 680M doesnt work well with higher clocks (OV) its getting around 80C°while benchmark and while gaming farcry 3 85-90C.

Strange... more voltage e clock.. e worst benchmarks... and in real world, fps games? is worst too?

Are you using 33.10 MSI?

I'm having the same issues.

Clevo P370EM. 680SLI. Used the Clevo BIOS 33.10 OC, 980/1200 stable. 12.5k 3DMark11. 80c max BF3.

Upgraded to the Clevo BIOS 33.10 OC/OV 1.025 and 1.050. Same clocks. 11.9k 3DMark11.

Only issues in 3DMark11, In-game I seem to have zero issues at increased clocks, however I'm a bit anal and I'd like to bench as high as possible knowing that everything is running aOK.

Should I try the MSI version of the BIOS?

Other thoughts?

After trying the vBios OC edition (no overvolt) on my Clevo P150EM for some time now, the gpu will let me overclock it to around core 950mhz/memory 2300, and the vBios itself made by svl7 is exellent.

The problem with the Clevo laptops just seems to be cooling, and poor made heatsinks. I have added the aluminum foil mod, made a tight heatsink to TIM installation, but the temps just won't go low enough whatever I do. Have considered removig the areas under the fans of the laptop, and put on some custom one for better airflow, but just don't know if the temps gain is worth the risk regarding of warranty.

At stock clocks 719mhz/900 memory, my temps reaching around 81 degrees celcius with the mentioned mods.

After adding PREMO's full fan mod, I can get it to run at 850mhz/2200 memory with the same temps.

Reading about many of you with the Alienware laptops, just seems the cooling on your systems is better built and have better heatsinks.

Kay! So I don't know if I should be making a new thread for this, but I figured I'd post it here.

svl7's vbios disabled my GPU's automatic "switch to P8 whenever the power cable comes out" magic and has ran my battery down pretty fast when I forgot to switch manually. I wanted this feature back so I wrote a program that handles doing it for me that I'm chucking on here.

It checks if the power is plugged in once a second. If it is it'll use nVidia Inspector to switch the GPU to P8, and if it's not it'll switch back to P0. The actual command is only sent once per change in system power, so if you want to override its decision you can just go ahead and switch pstates like you normally would without any issues.

In order for it to work you need to copy nvididaInspector.exe to somewhere in your system Path. If you don't know what this means, just go copy nvidiaInspector.exe into C:\Windows\system32 and be happy.

The program only takes up a megabyte of memory (Seriously? A whole meg for this? What the freak, Windows.h? Normally I program stuff that only takes a few KB when I'm lazy. This feels embarrassing..) so it shouldn't interfere much with gaming. I would turn it off for benchmarking just in case, though. To do that you'll need to hit ctrl alt delete, go to the task manager, find it and kill the process.

To get it to run at boot just right click it, make a shortcut, then drag and drop it into the "Startup" folder in your Start Menu.

Source code's included in the attachment. It's dead simple since I'm using system() calls but if someone can figure out how to switch P-states without the aid of Inspector I'd happily jump on that.

NVBattSwitch.zip

Hey, svl7, thanks for the great work! The vbioses are fantastic, except for one for the dell 680m. It's the Dell 680m - 80.04.5B.00.02_'OCedition'_revised_00.zip. So I'd recommend no one to use it, unless you don't care about an fps cap, because it capped me at 31 fps in every game! I'd recommend the 1050 overvolted, that one is fantastic. Keep up the great work, svl7!

italy2200: FPS cap? Are you sure you just don't have a bad card? Some cards are overvolted from the factory since they can't handle even stock speeds at 1 volt. The 5B version brings the voltage up (or down) to 1 volt, so yeah.

If you load your backup and check the voltage while running under maximum load that should shed some light on things.

Nope, Nofew. Before I flashed this vbios I was reaching around 45 FPS with a slight OC and the OV'd 1050. And before that, I was about 40FPS average with my stock vbios and a 50 Mhz overclock, when I was at .950 volts, around. This vbios just messed me up, I'm pretty sure. I'll report back when I flash a different one though.

Nope, Nofew. Before I flashed this vbios I was reaching around 45 FPS with a slight OC and the OV'd 1050. And before that, I was about 40FPS average with my stock vbios and a 50 Mhz overclock, when I was at .950 volts, around. This vbios just messed me up, I'm pretty sure. I'll report back when I flash a different one though.

Yes, this vbios in examination messed me up to, although I know there are several users who don't have problems with it. I didn't experience any fps stuck at one value, but the cards became very unstable and crashed constantly. I tried all the vbios available for Dell 680m and, aside from that one we're discussing, all work great. I'm currently using the OV 1050 and I'm quite happy with it, since I can overclock 1040 core and 1100 memory gaining great performance and stability.

Slv7's work is simply amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just hope he can find time to mod the K4000M. Is there some sofware for this? Does that vBIOS patcher support Nvidia Quadro cards? OK, I could probably use the 675MX one, but I'd rather have one which my laptop BIOS supports officially.

See this post and the one after it. If you want to speed the process up, you can buy svl7 a K4000M.

But I thought that the Nvidia BIOS'es are similar so he can change it without actually owning one (e.g. there's already a modifed K3000M and K5000M (hence why I posted my vBIOS here https://anonfiles.com/file/28887b9dbe84d945d616f1e194e02509).

Yes, it's called a "hex editor"

Of course I know it's done with a HEX editor and I presume that the address location for the clock values Nvidia uses for their vBIOS is probably in the same spot so it can be found easily by someone who knows what to look for. Hence why you have programs like vBIOS patcher which then edit these values which the ones you want. All I asked was if this patcher application supports K4000M or not.

Well, did it work? I thought it was a different board ID which means you would have had to force the flash.

Well I guess it's OK then? A while back when I did it I flashed the 4GB version and it made the card unrecognizable to my computer, it was just completely blank. I flashed the 2GB version after that and it went through. I could OC up to +333 and +350 on mem and it gave me around a 50% FPS boost. So it does work. The only thing is, I think some games overpowered it because GPU usage would be all over the place like the voltage couldn't meet the demands or something I guess.

• Brian featured this topic