NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

tested the hole day with the MSI 680m - 80.04.33.00.24_'OCedition'_revised_02 - OV 1025v

just with 3DMark11 (and some freaky throttling Vantage Missions)

funny thing is the best performance is exactly 1001mhz Core and 2300mhz ram at the GTX680m ~ 7300 points, all other +- 5mhz is a bad Idea for my book and going fast down too ~7000points

PSU draws with a Maximum at 174Watts peak, and 150 ~ 160 Watts at high LoAD permanently() tested Battlefield with OC and figured out thats BF3 runs bedder with the New Bios and not any OC ...one hour later in Battlefield i wake up for testing :D

testetd an other 180 Watts PSU too from an old GT780 but the newer one performs bedder, the same PSUs have got differents (or the older one is freaky])ithink its normal

seen Khenglishs 240W Dell PSU ... fits it at an GT70?

Hello

Card Clevo

Yes Vbios OV

I posted it a couple of pages ago, you should be able to find it. I'll add it to the first post when I get around to do so.

I'll have a look, by the way svl7 I wonder if the reason my 675mx varies and wont flash, as in the locked the bios is because GPU-z ID's it as a KAPOK not a dell?

Ah right, can you send me your vbios? Maybe the 4GB version will work as well, I want to check.
btw svl is it totally normal or abnormal to get a +50mhz jump from stock voltage to OV? on stock voltage/ 1.0370/ i can push it with +443 core max and with OV vbios/ 1.0870/ i can push it till +493 core max which gives me 50mhz difference. is it normal or not?

SVL7 i want to thank you for your hard work!!! I flashed the 'OCedition' revised_01 for my p170em. have a couple questions. My temp at idle on ac power is 44c this seems high. what do you think?

Also when i open gpuz or aterburner the gpu sits at 758 core and 1250 mem at .9870 volts. This is when I am idle. System isn't down clocking the card which is making my battery die quicker. And raising my idle temps. my overclock is at 250+ on core and 700+ on mem. and while the overclock is stable as in no crashes. with these settings the i hit the 90c throttle temp pretty quickly. with no over clock bf3 the gpu sits at about 85c. i repasted the heat sink with as5 and no change in temps. I also thought the bios had no throttling? but oh well what do you guys think?

which VBios have u taken Riri ? the 1.05V one right, the CPU is very fast WoW how do you OC it ?

with svls 1.025V Bios i climbed up NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-1762 score: P25311 3DMarks

Edit: I kicked the first One :D = http://www.3dmark.com/3dmv/4683381 funny thing ...

my PSU is at end :confuse:

Been messing with my origin laptop tonight. I did the aluminum tape mod to the gpu heatsink. and my temps dropped about 5c with the 680m running on svl7 stock oc bios clevo 758/1800. volts .9870 still think my temps are high though. 77c before the tape mod. 72c after. while playing tomb raider. I am also having another issue. if I play the game on battery. the laptop will just shut off in under 5 mins. runs fine when plugged in. any thoughts?

gcmfishin: It shuts off because svl7's vbios's remove the part of the firmware that automatically downclocks the cards to their lowest speed. Your laptop battery can't keep up with it unless it does that. To fix this, be sure to underclock your card as far as it can go manually. Even then your battery life's going to be short, but you should at least get about 20-30 minutes out of it.

On a side note, this is why I asked him if there's a way he can extend the underclocking range further (but that seems to have gotten buried too). As it is now you can only set it to -405, but I'd like to set it further so I can try to get my usual 2-3 hour battery life back, or more if I bring it down even lower. -900 should be about optimal.

• Thumbs Up 1

gcmfishin: It shuts off because svl7's vbios's remove the part of the firmware that automatically downclocks the cards to their lowest speed. Your laptop battery can't keep up with it unless it does that. To fix this, be sure to underclock your card as far as it can go manually. Even then your battery life's going to be short, but you should at least get about 20-30 minutes out of it.

On a side note, this is why I asked him if there's a way he can extend the underclocking range further (but that seems to have gotten buried too). As it is now you can only set it to -405, but I'd like to set it further so I can try to get my usual 2-3 hour battery life back, or more if I bring it down even lower. -900 should be about optimal.

thank you for the reply. Thats what i was thinking. i remember before i flashed the bios on battery the card wouldnt pass 135mhz. Another questions. The card ramps up a lot in just windows alone while doing nothing at all. just have nvinspector open to see whats its doing and it will sit at 758 for like 10 secs then lower threw a few different steps. till it settles down at 135mhz. it will sit there about 5 seconds then ramp back up again. Shouldnt when i am in windows the intel card be used? You guys are really helpful and i thank you for helping me to get this laptop in tip top shape.

thank you for the reply. Thats what i was thinking. i remember before i flashed the bios on battery the card wouldnt pass 135mhz. Another questions. The card ramps up a lot in just windows alone while doing nothing at all. just have nvinspector open to see whats its doing and it will sit at 758 for like 10 secs then lower threw a few different steps. till it settles down at 135mhz. it will sit there about 5 seconds then ramp back up again. Shouldnt when i am in windows the intel card be used? You guys are really helpful and i thank you for helping me to get this laptop in tip top shape.

When using my 680m on battery I force the card to run at 2D volts (.8375V) by running nvidia inspector in command line with "-forcepstate:0,8" (without the quotes). Then you can overclock the 2D clocks. Unfortunately the 2D clocks can only be raised to 405/400 (actual), which is particularly limiting, especially on the memory.

Would be interesting if we could have undervolted 2D BIOSes. .8375V sounds pretty excessive for 405 core. The card boots up in P5 so an unstable P8 should not matter for flashing back.

• Thumbs Up 1

gcmfishin: Any massive change to the desktop is going to cause it to kick up. UAC prompts are one of the bigger culprits, as are some poorly-designed UI's (like Steam's). Regardless if you have Optimus or not it's going to trick the system into thinking it needs more power and spin the nVidia GPU up. It's really annoying when I'm on battery and suddenly things go from 135 to 405 mhz if I remember to underclock or 888 if I don't, but that's the way it is. I'm really not sure why, I mean there's not much point of running above 135 mhz on battery if you can't sustain it for a reasonable amount of time..

• Thumbs Up 1

If you can run 1100MHz on the core at 1.05V then I want that card. :D

I can try other tests if needed but my time is limited due to finals this week. My problem is auto-throttling, but I am going to use foil tape on the heatsinks to close the gap between fan exhaust and the heatsink, and closed-cell foam to recycle less warm air, once the things arrive tomorrow or mid-week. Hopefully this will cause less throttling.

(disregard the 50MHz discrepancy on the sliders on MSI Afterburner and what's showing for the memory clocks, I used Nvidia Inspector to adjust the clocks)

post-12609-14494995121067_thumb.jpg

QAAADlJREFUCNdjEBRgAAFGQSYGBpZKEGIAssIMQQjEMtgJQiCWwl4QArEYHoARiLUKjJgYYAAbiwFuBwBjOAkhfxMqggAAAABJRU5ErkJggg== Originally Posted by svl7 PwMpgImBRMDS2NiITXwaEGcCcRYQTwcJ1NfXQzTgMCgXiKWBeDIQPwXiTYSc9BeII4H4DBAvB2JzuJOAmBhfg5xlBLOBEQcWAOLLQPwRiOORbcAGmIF4JRBrAXEAVCNeDZOA2B2Is4F4C7IEI6kRBxBgADojGLsZmhQgAAAAAElFTkSuQmCCAh right, can you send me your vbios? Maybe the 4GB version will work as well, I want to check.

i'm using vbios in page 1 gtx 675MX 2 GB for MSI

bump, i sent you mp

SVL7 would it be possible to open up the core clock and memory a little more on the k3000m? i have the core clock at +500 and it runs great but it wont max the slider at +542 im not sure why i think it might just be to close to the new set limit same thing with the memory

whenever you get around to it thanks

Hello SVL i saw you said on NBR that 680m is overvolted and underclocked, the difference between 780m and 680m is just 192 more cuda cores, so then why does 780m scores 30% more then 680m in 3dmark?.. isn't it possible to give 680m same voltage as 780m and overclock the memory to 1250mhz since they are on the same architecture

First of all this is all pure speculation. It's easy to fake screenshots. However since a 680mx exists (full GK104 chip) it's possible that this is going to be rebranded as 780m. With the premise that the benchmarks and screenshots aren't faked it's not really surprising that the performance goes up like this, one more SMX and a higher core clock. Default 680m clocks is 719MHz, 758MHz boost... well except for the MSI card which runs at 771MHz. Memory speed makes a huge difference here as well.

You can easily overclock a 680m to the same performance without having to change the voltage at all. And I dare to say that the 780m might never overclock as well as the 680m.

But that's all totally off topic here, if you want to speculate about future nvidia cards please open a separate thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Brian featured this topic