NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

hi svl7, nice to see that im not alone with issues about the GTX680m ... the throttling is making me crazy at my New GT70 at Overclocking.

So i will flash the Card with one of youre VBios, but im not realy sure , thinking all MSI GTX 680m Cards have the same VBios?! so i can take one of the Modded MSI ones?!

ihave read many sites here and search and the question is certainly not the first Sorry about...

so can i take one of thge MSI VBios for mine?

96t.png

after repasting the gpu again my temps with 1034mhz and 1.05v dont reach 70°C anymore (Prolimatech PK1 FTW ^^). So can you send me a Bios with 1.1v pls? is such a bios with temps under 85^C safe for daily usage?

Its a Dell Alienware M17x r4

It depends on what you say "safe" means to you. Personally I'd say yes, I'd say anything under 90C should keep your laptop running for years. I have another laptop that hits over 100C on stock speeds for long periods of time (12+ hours straight) and it's been working just fine for over three years.

Believe it or not, constant fluctuations can actually do more damage than severe temperatures. The PCB's expand and contract slightly when you're going from 60 to 90 C and vice-versa. If you go from one to the other about five times an hour it may actually do more damage than running it over 90C for long periods of time. In other words, if you're doing a lot of benchmarking don't let your laptop cool between rounds. Keep going straight through unless you're trying to beat a record or something.

Regardless, if you want to be sure it'll survive for the next decade, be sure to revert to factory speeds (or even underclock) whenever you don't need the extra power and keep your computer turned on (Not in sleep mode, keep it on) but idle when you're not using it so you don't make it go from 15 C to 45+ C and back every day. If you're super-paranoid it might even be worth trying to run a benchmark or something while you have a program with inconsistent CPU usage running just so your CPU's fed a constant supply of voltage rather than going up and down all the time. On the M17x, it's a good idea to keep your fans running at 2,500 RPM when the system's idle or under low stress as well. The fans can turn completely off and hold your temperatures for the CPU and GPU around 60 C, while having them at 2,500 keeps them down near 45ish. Depending on how much stress you put on it when it's not idle this may or may not help its longevity.

I have never OC'ed before as I've always had a laptop that was incapable to do so. I am fairly seasoned in other types of mods, but I don't want to mess this one up! I have read through countless numbers of posts and lots of warnings about flashing over my 680m. I think I'm safe to flash the latest MSI and Clevo 680m varieties, but I wanted to verify before I do so. Here are my applicable system specs:

Sager NP9150

MoBo: CLEVO P15xEMx

BIOS: 1.02.17 PM v1.0.4

Here are my questions:

1) Can I flash any vbios for the 680m (4GB)? If so, is it recommended to try out the different vbios until I find one that works best with my hardware?

2) Once the vbios is flashed, I understand I use NVIDIA Inspector or MSI Afterburn to incrementally increase the clocks to a satisfactory and stable level. Is that correct?

Sorry if this post is remedial! Thanks for any help.

ctasich: From what I understand you want a Clevo (4GB) vbios for your system. You may want to wait for someone else to confirm that though.

As for overclocking, yes, you've pretty much got it right. Just keep in mind that you can't adjust your voltage from within windows; you need to flash a vbios with a new voltage in it. Also, clockspeeds are locked to bins of 13 mhz. In other words, don't add 1 mhz at a time or something like that: add 13 at a time, since 12 or less won't always have an effect at all and 14 or more might actually tack on 26 all of a sudden.

When testing, be sure to run a variety of programs. Your GPU may run some fine and fail at others. This may or may not be acceptable depending on your personal preferences and desires for peace of mind. In my experience, the first symptom on my Dell 680m is a stuttering camera during 3Dmark's Fire Strike. It tends to stand still and then suddenly jump froward. After the jump, things keep moving but the camera stays still before it starts moving with the scene like it should. It's like the GPU tried to drop frames but didn't do it correctly.

is it possible nvidia releases a new vbios ?

As far as I know, Nvidia doesn't release any BIOS related files directly to the community and if there any any updated ones released, it'll be done by ASUS, MSI or whoever the laptop manufacturer might be.

I'm using the 1.050V vBIOS for the the 680M in my P170EM, on 314.22 WHQL drivers. I can get 1100/2400 stable (tested with Crysis 3) but any higher causes the game to freeze and need killed via task manager. Are there any driver settings that need changed or am I pretty much at the limit?

I'm using the 1.050V vBIOS for the the 680M in my P170EM, on 314.22 WHQL drivers. I can get 1100/2400 stable (tested with Crysis 3) but any higher causes the game to freeze and need killed via task manager. Are there any driver settings that need changed or am I pretty much at the limit?

If you can run 1100MHz on the core at 1.05V then I want that card. :D

svl7: What's the usual limit for a 680m at stock voltages? From what I can tell the typical limit is 1200 at 1.1 volts, and I'm at 996 now. Assuming things are linear that means I'd get near 1100 at 1.05..

My GTX 675MX 4Go Vbios 1.03 volts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7217[/ATTACH]

That's the older vbios, right? Not the voltage test?

svl7: What's the usual limit for a 680m at stock voltages? From what I can tell the typical limit is 1200 at 1.1 volts, and I'm at 996 now. Assuming things are linear that means I'd get near 1100 at 1.05..

I haven't seen a card running at 1200MHz if I remember correctly. Whether you can get higher clocks with more voltage depends on your chip, generally the chip will clock higher with more volts, especially those mobile parts which are basically underclocked desktop chips. However it is not guaranteed, in the past I had a 5870m which could run 950MHz totally stable (35% OC) but overvolting it didn't help to get it a single MHz higher. In the end this totally depends on your chip

That's the older vbios, right? Not the voltage test?

I haven't seen a card running at 1200MHz if I remember correctly. Whether you can get higher clocks with more voltage depends on your chip, generally the chip will clock higher with more volts, especially those mobile parts which are basically underclocked desktop chips. However it is not guaranteed, in the past I had a 5870m which could run 950MHz totally stable (35% OC) but overvolting it didn't help to get it a single MHz higher. In the end this totally depends on your chip

Clevo 675mx (4GB) - 80.04.58.00.05_'OCedition'_rev00.zip vbios

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6497294

svl7: Oh, so there's not even an average range? Interesting.. The more I poke around the less this feels like overclocking a CPU. 'Tis gunna be interesting to see what happens once I start poking around at the voltages.

While it's on my mind, is there a safe limit to how many times I can flash the vbios? The PsP's NAND could only take about 20 or 30 writes before cells started dying and things became corrupted.

Riri-Fifi: How'd you get that high with a 675? o_o.. You have like, 1/4th the cores of a 680 but the score's so close!

svl7: Oh, so there's not even an average range? Interesting.. The more I poke around the less this feels like overclocking a CPU. 'Tis gunna be interesting to see what happens once I start poking around at the voltages.

While it's on my mind, is there a safe limit to how many times I can flash the vbios? The PsP's NAND could only take about 20 or 30 writes before cells started dying and things became corrupted.

Riri-Fifi: How'd you get that high with a 675? o_o.. You have like, 1/4th the cores of a 680 but the score's so close!

Design plays a huge factor in how many times flash memory can be rewritten. 20 writes is absurdly low and sounds like sony had a major design error where the flash programmer holds voltages too long or uses excessively high voltage or something. In SSD drives the worst drives can still do 1k or so write cycles, and I expect the flash memory on a BIOS chip to be SLC since there is no need for high density, which is good for 100k+

Also BIOS chips tend to be NOR arrays instead of NAND arrays. I'm not sure why since NAND is cheaper. I guess NOR structures were easier to make at first and they just stuck with it.

So basically what I'm saying is you should be able to flash your BIOS as many times as you want without the flash memory wearing out, assuming Nvidia didn't make a design blunder.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Brian featured this topic