NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Actually, a 580's just better than some 600-series cards. It depends on what the game's trying to do. I don't know all the technical details on this one but I know the 580's still got some special stuff compared to 600's. You may want to Google "architecture" or "chip architecture" to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

The game coming out of beta won't fix it. Almost every game is designed to be as easy on your system as possible to ensure smooth gameplay across all systems so the developer can make the most money; they wouldn't make a lot if their game was only playable by people with dual Titans. As a result, these games won't put your GPU under enough load to force it to run at higher clockspeeds. Regardless, this isn't a problem, it's actually a perk. It means your card's so powerful that it "isn't even breaking a sweat"!

Hi svl7! Hi all!

I have one Question about overvolting in realtion to the voltage transductors (VT): If one reads throug OC forums one will find the importance of cooling the voltage transductors along with the GPU core... I presume, cooling the VT is not possile with an MXM module?! Have you any experiences in this field?

I do not even know if I want to OV my card right now - svl7`s "standard" bios works flawles for me - I ask mainly out of curiosity.

Best regards

Phila

P.S.: Did not even notice the boot text - what does it say - where can I find it? I do not notice it on the bootscreen?!?!

Hey! Thank you a lot! Simple as it is this might be one of the explanations why I do not reach a consistent framerate in MechWarrior Online. The FPS there really jump - as does the GPU load. A pitty, yet it is only beta of course. But the clocks won`t be stable for me. I achieved better FPS with my 580m in relation... This is why I asked about a higher "base" clock.

Thank you again.

phila

As a fellow MWO player, i will say it is just down to crappy coding. PGI has no clue what they are doing, and just keep botching the game. Do not judge performance of your system based on it..

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi svl7! Hi all!

I have one Question about overvolting in realtion to the voltage transductors (VT): If one reads throug OC forums one will find the importance of cooling the voltage transductors along with the GPU core... I presume, cooling the VT is not possile with an MXM module?! Have you any experiences in this field?

I do not even know if I want to OV my card right now - svl7`s "standard" bios works flawles for me - I ask mainly out of curiosity.

The mobile high-end cards are basically undervolted desktop GPUs. Certain parts of the voltage regulating circuits will run hot, and on many modern systems those parts are actually covered by the heatsink (AW, Clevo, MSI as well I think). Still your main concern needs to be the GPU die temperature. I run many cards in my M15x at the very limit and never had the voltage circuit actually covered with a heatsink. Don't worry too much.

Of course if you overvolt a desktop system everything looks a bit different. You can easily kill a motherboard with too much voltage, even if you cool the CPU well enough it is pretty easy to overheat the voltage regulation circuits.

P.S.: Did not even notice the boot text - what does it say - where can I find it? I do not notice it on the bootscreen?!?!

It only shows up for less than two seconds, and it might not even show up on all systems since there is not a standard for displaying POST messages of PCI devices (as far as I know) and depending on the BIOS implementation it might not show up at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello.

I'm new here, though I have now read almost every singel page of the 194 done so far.

Just want to give a huge compliment to svl7 for his great work and effort to make this possible and also every other contributer with helpful advices on this forum. I have learned a LOT!

Now to my question:

After going through the pages it seems that for several overclockers here, the performance of their cards/FPS wise, looks to drop after some time using the overclocks. Don't judge the vBios made by you svl7 at all, knowing this only alters the possibility to make the overclocks done in the firmware/bios.

So what I am wondering about is if the the overclocks are pushed too far and that the cards can't handle this over time, (like several have reported suddenly fps drops after weeks or months during Planetside 2, Crysis 3, Battlefield 3, Far Cry 3 etc) or if it is a driver problem in the game or Nvidia drivers. Though I wonder why this suddenly happens after a while, and not at once?

So after all I'm seriously considering flashing my vBios in my Clevo PH150EM (GTX 680M), and overclock to a decent amount, but I am a bit worried about the mentioned issues I wrote about. If I do the overclock I would be happy with around 910 core, and about +200 - +250 memory (as adviced by svl7 in one of his posts.)

Would an overclock like this be both doable with the no OV vBios (depending on my card of course), and at the same time be an overclock that likely won't give me problems after some time in use? And would the FPS raise in such an overclock be worth the effort? Even though I am planning only to use the OC when needed.

My Clevo bios has the old .29 firmware, so guess I'm good to go with the .33 firmware reported to be one of the most stable to my PH150EM system here on this forum? Guess the .67 would be ok too.

Have a good weekend everyone.

The stock voltage vbios should do well at 910MHz. Regarding the issues - as far as I see this they're caused by drivers and / or overclocking software.

Even though I usually run my system at stock (except for benching) I have been playing BF3 for hours on an overclocked vbios for testing and never run into any issues. It doesn't make sense that a GPU gets fps issues after a while, either it is defective and doesn't work anymore, or it works. A partially working GPU which just drops the clocks once in a while is something I haven't encountered so far. Well except of course if the clock drops are due to temperatures, which definitely shouldn't be the case with the 680m at stock volts.

The stock voltage vbios should do well at 910MHz. Regarding the issues - as far as I see this they're caused by drivers and / or overclocking software.

Even though I usually run my system at stock (except for benching) I have been playing BF3 for hours on an overclocked vbios for testing and never run into any issues. It doesn't make sense that a GPU gets fps issues after a while, either it is defective and doesn't work anymore, or it works. A partially working GPU which just drops the clocks once in a while is something I haven't encountered so far. Well except of course if the clock drops are due to temperatures, which definitely shouldn't be the case with the 680m at stock volts.

Yes, that sounds logical. Guess the temps have played a big role for many of the ones experiencing the issues. And as you said that shouldn't be such a problem on stock volts.

You mention the overclock software used as a possible issue, would you reccomend using Nvidia inspector for this instead of the Afterburner?

Seem to remeber you wrote that in one of your earlier posts, though I see many have used the MSI afterburner for the clocks, including Bryan in his GTX 680M review benchmarks. So am a little confused about if one of them is better than the other for the purpose, or if they're both equal?

Speaking for myself, I prefer the Inspector, I have much less issues with it than with the MSI AB.

hello man i have a asus k56cb ultrabook with a gt740m ddr3 2gb gpu, guessing it is not a mxm board my main problem is gpu overheats my whole system i wanna get rid of boost state and some voltage from core i can overclock the core without giving voltage 1000mhz (no artifacts) but looks like im already memory bottlenecked and extra boost frequency helps nothing but temperature can you help me with this?? i dumped my vbios with mmtool but nvidia kepler tweaker 1.25 doesnt recognize rom file, i dont know why,

i just want you to remove the boost state from the gpu and tweak voltage a little bit as im not sure if boost state voltage is the same with p0 state voltage, sorry my english is very bad i couldnt find a working bios editor for the card i have how you do it? in assembler? or with a bios eitor?

i just want -85mhz from core which is boost and if you could some tweaking the voltage

and +50 to memory if you can any help will be appreciated

nvrom.zip

Which vbios version? For the time being I'd recommend going back to the WHQL driver, the new one seems to have serious issues with SLI and multi display setups.

First of all i introduce myself: my name is Morejasparda (well, this is pointless, because it shown on my profile Xd)

and i would like to say you, that you are an awesome comunity and very helpfull for amateur people like me.

After a long time i decide to be here too (maybe what was stopping to me was the "language barrier" . I must take

this opportunity to say that all of you try to forgive my grammatical failures. I promise to improve :D).

This said, the main purpose why i´m here now is because i´m about to order a gtx 670mx for my m15x (!!!) (although i have

to sell my actual 660m first and even the oldest 260m lol).

Upgrade monkey (where i think to buy it), effectively told me that no problems with the deal, apart perhaps i would have to mod

the .inf file adding my gpu ID, is that true? (with the 660 card i just downloaded the driver as well as his own .inf file from laptopvideo2go,

and everything ran well)

The other topic i would like to ask is about the loved oced kepler drivers around here (hehe), thanks to Svl7 & company we have:D,

because the card i will buy it´s the Clevo 3 gb one, and i´m not sure if the 670mx 1.5gb driver that is here, will run. I remember reading the

Newsty´s experience with that driver and the same card model, and the question´s solution hung in the air.

Hope I have not blethered on too long (XD) in my first post. I also hope write so much more :)

Regards

Which vbios version? For the time being I'd recommend going back to the WHQL driver, the new one seems to have serious issues with SLI and multi display setups.

I testet the stock without lock, the 1.00v, 1.025v and the 1.05v Verison. 314.14 have also a blackscreen problem but when i install the driver in secured mode it works after restart. But with 320.00 the display doenst work anymore

svl7: Since you're apparently doing voltage tests, would you mind overvolting the Dell 680m 80.04.5B.00.02 card to 1.025 or so? I've asked before but it got buried pretty fast.

aziraphale: His vbios's have the splash so people don't steal his work. This is fairly standard for any hacker that has to resort to hexediting. Google around a bit. As an example, "Dark_Alex" did it too when he was making modified firmware for PsP systems. Later people actually tweaked the notice so it read their names and tried to pass his work off as their own. This led Alex to rewrite part of the firmware to essentially self-destruct on the PsP if the bootsplash was changed.

In other words, don't muck with it. You can deal with a two-second pause during boot.

Later people actually tweaked the notice so it read their names and tried to pass his work off as their own. This led Alex to rewrite part of the firmware to essentially self-destruct on the PsP if the bootsplash was changed.

This comes on my to-do list :D

... as well as the Dell overvolt.

• Brian featured this topic