NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

I have not touched anything related to system/drivers since December.

Today, after I noticed the issue, I decided to see if it was driver related. Uninstalled the drivers, did a driver sweep, then reinstalled the graphics drivers and receive the same issue.

There are certain occasions it would drop into the rest state, but I cannot force it to happen.

I uninstalled MSI Afterburner and noticed it to happen less as frequently and used Nvidia Inspector to view the clocks, but the issue still occurs.

This issue only began happening within the last four days in which I did not install anything.

EDIT: As of now, it jumps between 135, 231, 405, 758. This was just simple typing into this post and moving the browser around.

I've checked a list of system restores...the last one was since March 28 when I updated Java.

That MSI uninstall has improved the rest state condition however.

As for the OS being a possible culprit, there were no Windows/Microsoft related software or updates I've done.

As of now, after a reboot since uninstall of MSI Afterburner, its been at 135. If I do any action that just seems to load or move, it will go to 758 (instead of 405) and stay there for a few seconds before dropping again.

EDIT:

Attached image of what's going on. Playing with only a few applications at a time.post-7519-14494994996615_thumb.png

EDIT2:

The issue somehow resolved itself... I'm running the same applications and its capping at the 405 Mhz mark (which is good, its not very GPU intensive at all). Thanks for the help though @svl7.

I reinstalled MSI Afterburner and the issue has not reoccurred.

xZorbZx: See this post.

Also, 1.5 is going to kill your card. I highly suggest you start overclocking on something that's not expensive to replace -- You will blow your card to bits if you push it much over 1.05 and don't know what you're doing. Seriously, do your homework (or midterms, in this case -- Overclocking is a lot more in-depth than you think!)

Having a PSU period will limit how much voltage you can put into it, naturally. You'd need to be connected directly to a lightning storm or something to give it anything close to "infinite" volts. If you're asking "will I be limited compared to, say, a 650 watt PSU", then yes, you will. I can tell you from experience now that 240 watts is going to limit you to choosing between a 4 ghz CPU/+135 GPU or a stock CPU/+450 GPU. Depending on what you're doing you may want to switch between the two.

What are the major differences in the 1.0v all the way to the 1.5v?

With only having the 240w PSU am I limited to what volts I can run?

With my CPU over 4GHz and using the 1V BIOS I need to turn down by screen brightness to prevent my 240W PSU from shutting down. My GPU temps are mid 70s with fans on automatic so I will go higher voltage after getting a stronger PSU (and VRM/MOSFET) cooling). You should be able to push higher voltages than me though since I doubt your CPU will pull over 80W in games like mine.

xZorbZx: See this post.

Also, 1.5 is going to kill your card. I highly suggest you start overclocking on something that's not expensive to replace -- You will blow your card to bits if you push it much over 1.05 and don't know what you're doing. Seriously, do your homework (or midterms, in this case -- Overclocking is a lot more in-depth than you think!)

Having a PSU period will limit how much voltage you can put into it, naturally. You'd need to be connected directly to a lightning storm or something to give it anything close to "infinite" volts. If you're asking "will I be limited compared to, say, a 650 watt PSU", then yes, you will. I can tell you from experience now that 240 watts is going to limit you to choosing between a 4 ghz CPU/+135 GPU or a stock CPU/+450 GPU. Depending on what you're doing you may want to switch between the two.

I have been doing my homework for awhile now. Hense the questions. You didn't answer anything in regards to what's the difference from 1v to 1.05 volts. I was told before coming over here that this community doesn't treat new people very well. This comment pretty much sealed the deal for me. If someone can't ask a few question with out being critisized for the ammount of knowledge he has on one specifice subject, how will one ever learn?

Thank you sv17, for the hard work you put into these bios, keep up the good work.

With my CPU over 4GHz and using the 1V BIOS I need to turn down by screen brightness to prevent my 240W PSU from shutting down. My GPU temps are mid 70s with fans on automatic so I will go higher voltage after getting a stronger PSU (and VRM/MOSFET) cooling). You should be able to push higher voltages than me though since I doubt your CPU will pull over 80W in games like mine.

I only have a 3630QM CPU, I doubt it pulls anything close to that. I just trying to have a simple OC, possible OV if needed to play my games at full ultra setting and still stay above 60FPS. Crysis 3 is my major task at the moment right now. Also, why I'm asking about this. Trying to get the most out of my 680m to play all my games above 60FPS and MAX settings.

I appreciate your time.

Edit: With these mods, is it still the case that drivers newer than 310.96 still are causing crashes with higher clocks?

Hi xZorbZx!

To answer your questions from my point of view: I use all the actuall drivers with svl7`s Clevo 680m (80.04.33.00.10) and have no problems with crashing drivers. Off course some games will crash if the relation between clocks and voltage is not a stable one. But I did not experience any drivercrashes per se.

Concearning the differences between the mods: As far as I know the only difference between the mods is the higher voltage... resulting in -> more OCpower at the cost of more heat (not only on the core but as well on the voltage transductors - which can hardly be kept cool by stock cooling methods).

Best regards

phila

P.S.: As to Nofew`s reply to your question...

What are the major differences in the 1.0v all the way to the 1.5v?

You (due to a typing error, I guess) asked about a 1.5 Volt mod, which would be pretty much. You meant the 1.05, right? I guess because of this Nofew advised you to be careful. I think, he did not intend an offence.

xZorbZx: phila_delphia's right, I didn't mean to offend, it's just that geeks with high standards always have an air of arrogance and harshness around them to not-as-geeky people. It comes with the "cut the bullcrap and get to the point" attitude we all have. I don't mean any offense with the following post either, though I'm fairly sure you'll read it like that anyway. I really am trying to help though, so read it (don't skim!) and the page I link to. It'll help you a lot.

I was treated great when I came here. I adhered to the rules; one of them states that you must make a minimum of five quality posts upon joining. Based on this it's safe to assume that the majority of the community consists of hackers. Asking for help without giving out help yourself doesn't count as a quality post, it just means you're begging. No, donating $5 doesn't give you any special privileges or respect, it just lets you download things sooner; you still need to make a few good posts before people will respect you.

The fact you made two posts in a row rather than editing the first and appending your new post shows that you really don't understand how these forums work. Stuff like that ticks people off, especially when a mod has to come around and merge them for you later. I really, really recommend that you read this. It explains exactly what communities like this expect out of people and how to conduct yourself. Long story short, new people need to prove their worth. They need to show they can figure things out by themselves and that we aren't going to sink hours into them and get nothing back. This happens really often, especially from people who say things like "kay, here's $5, now give me a nice big chart." This is a community, not Wal-mart. </rant>

Annnyway. I did answer your question, you just didn't read my post. In case you're having trouble understanding it, a simpler answer is "there's too many variables". Every single chip, even those with the same model number from the same distributor, is completely unique. 1.05 volts on one chip will have different results than 1.05 on another. Heck, if you have a particularly bad sample then you might already be at 1.05.

The 3630qm will pull close to 80 watts if you have it running under maximum clocks. (You /can/ overclock it, just not very far. It's locked in firmware. (Yes, even CPU's have their own BIOS's. Well, it's actually called "microcode", but the concept's close.))

Khenglish: Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried disabling Turbo Boost so you don't have your PSU pushing so close to its limit? Depending on your game you might not notice a difference between stock speeds and turbo speeds.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi xZorbZx!

To answer your questions from my point of view: I use all the actuall drivers with svl7`s Clevo 680m (80.04.33.00.10) and have no problems with crashing drivers. Off course some games will crash if the relation between clocks and voltage is not a stable one. But I did not experience any drivercrashes per se.

Concearning the differences between the mods: As far as I know the only difference between the mods is the higher voltage... resulting in -> more OCpower at the cost of more heat (not only on the core but as well on the voltage transductors - which can hardly be kept cool by stock cooling methods).

Best regards

phila

P.S.: As to Nofew`s reply to your question...

You (due to a typing error, I guess) asked about a 1.5 Volt mod, which would be pretty much. You meant the 1.05, right? I guess because of this Nofew advised you to be careful. I think, he did not intend an offence.

Yes, you are correct it was a typing error. Also, thank you for the very simple and easy to understand response. We need more people like you in this.

xZorbZx: phila_delphia's right, I didn't mean to offend, it's just that geeks with high standards always have an air of arrogance and harshness around them to not-as-geeky people. It comes with the "cut the bullcrap and get to the point" attitude we all have. I don't mean any offense with the following post either, though I'm fairly sure you'll read it like that anyway. I really am trying to help though, so read it (don't skim!) and the page I link to. It'll help you a lot.

I was treated great when I came here. I adhered to the rules; one of them states that you must make a minimum of five quality posts upon joining. Based on this it's safe to assume that the majority of the community consists of hackers. Asking for help without giving out help yourself doesn't count as a quality post, it just means you're begging. No, donating $5 doesn't give you any special privileges or respect, it just lets you download things sooner; you still need to make a few good posts before people will respect you.

The fact you made two posts in a row rather than editing the first and appending your new post shows that you really don't understand how these forums work. Stuff like that ticks people off, especially when a mod has to come around and merge them for you later. I really, really recommend that you read this. It explains exactly what communities like this expect out of people and how to conduct yourself. Long story short, new people need to prove their worth. They need to show they can figure things out by themselves and that we aren't going to sink hours into them and get nothing back. This happens really often, especially from people who say things like "kay, here's $5, now give me a nice big chart." This is a community, not Wal-mart. </rant>

Annnyway. I did answer your question, you just didn't read my post. In case you're having trouble understanding it, a simpler answer is "there's too many variables". Every single chip, even those with the same model number from the same distributor, is completely unique. 1.05 volts on one chip will have different results than 1.05 on another. Heck, if you have a particularly bad sample then you might already be at 1.05.

The 3630qm will pull close to 80 watts if you have it running under maximum clocks. (You /can/ overclock it, just not very far. It's locked in firmware. (Yes, even CPU's have their own BIOS's. Well, it's actually called "microcode", but the concept's close.))

Khenglish: Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried disabling Turbo Boost so you don't have your PSU pushing so close to its limit? Depending on your game you might not notice a difference between stock speeds and turbo speeds.

To follow that. When I post my first reply, it will not post until someone looks at it. So, I could not make changes to correct my typing error, I also could not "EDIT:" and add my second question that I posted in a second post.

Moving on, I am well aware of the variables that come into play with all chips OC and OV differently. I also read your attached post. It didn't answer what the major difference was. phila_delphia gave the exact answer. Very simple, straight forward and easy to understand. You on the other hand, came out gunning down the new guy. You said it yourself in your post. "No, donating $5 doesn't give you any special privileges or respect, it just lets you download things sooner; you still need to make a few good posts before people will respect you." Nobody asked for special privleges, I asked a simple question. I guess being the new guy and "not having special privleges or getting respect" deserved the pussyfooting answer and the critisizem of knowledge to one who doesn't know everything. Unlike you, a man who knows everything, so he feels that he has the right to speak down to someone who may not have the knowledge on a specific topic. But, to be clear. I was not offended in any way. just letting you know how you do not make new people feel comfortable or welcome coming to this forum.

Thanks, for the files again. Enjoy the beer.

I really don't see why you're making such a drama. From my point of view @Nofew really posted useful replies to your questions. Also your typo might have led to a certain confusion since you asked about 1.0V vs 1.5V, which can really lead to the impression that you never looked into overclocking.

Nofew mentioned some very good points. Many people seem to get offended very easily by our forum rules and when they don't get a reply immediately.

This forum is not corporate run, it's all paid by the admins and it's not cheap. The rules are not there to make life harder, it's in place to prevent leechers and keep this place alive the way it is. The voluntary subscriptions help paying the server costs.

People wonder why their posts get deleted... oh well, a post just containing "thank you" is totally unnecessary due to the thanks button. Same goes for really silly questions which only get asked to increase the post count and can be answered very easily by reading the main post.

That being said, let's get back to topic as this is really not the place to discuss this.

@xZorbx: To come back to your 1.0V vs 1.05V question - more might allow you to get higher stable clocks (on the core). More voltage doesn't necessarily mean higher clocks, especially when the chip or the voltage supply is already at its limits, however this is not the case for the 680m at 1.0V. (It's the same chip as you can find on a desktop GTX 670). Still, everything above the stock values can only be seen as "bonus" and is not guaranteed at all. Every chip can and will behave differently, for reasons stated by Nofew.

More voltage will always lead to much higher temps and therefore degrade the chip faster than stock values. Yet I haven't managed to actually kill a card.

• Thumbs Up 1

...Yet I haven't managed to actually kill a card.

I liked this one ;-) You really intend to kill them?! Just kidding of course...

Yet I still have this question, I posted two days ago: Have you done any bios-mods with base clock higher than 758?

Would this make sense at all?

Thank you & Best regards

phila

phila_delphia: Some do, but not many. I don't understand why it'd be useful. As it is the nVidia cards have four clockrates: power-saving (135 mhz on 680m), balanced (405 mhz), full load (758) and boost (however high you +set it). The card automatically changes between them as required. This extends the lifetime, keeps your temperatures lower and helps your system stay stable. I don't see why anyone would "need" to run it faster 24/7.

If you think you do because you're "not scoring as high as you should" and "I can see my usage is over 90%", that's normal. It only clocks up if the usage is consistently near 98% or more. If not, it'll downclock its self until it is. In this case the bottleneck is actually your CPU, not GPU. Go play a more graphically intensive game and it should stay up at higher speeds.

• Thumbs Up 1

@svl7

so the plot would thicken as it seems.

In my determined attempt to flash your modded bios, I desoldered the bios chip from my GTX675MX and attempted to flash it with an external SPI programmer.

I first read the chip, which read fine, then tried to flash your bios to it. This is where all my attempt failed.

While the flash completed upon rereading the chip the stock bios was still in place, I attempted to erase the chip first.

Once again when reread the chip had not been erased.

It seems that my bios chip is locked and I can only assume that it has something to do with the soft straps as the hardware Write lock pin pin is unlocked. Alas I could not find how to issue the commands to unlock the soft straps with my spi programming tool.

It seems that I'm the only one with a locked 675MX bios chip :53_002::upset:

so in the meantime I've resoldered the bios chip.

If anybody knows the corret command syntax in nvflash to set BP0 and BP1 lock bits(I think these are the soft straps) to 0 I would be most greatful.

Now I continue my hunt for a blank mx25l2005 rom IC.

- - - Updated - - -

If you think you do because you're "not scoring as high as you should" and "I can see my usage is over 90%", that's normal. It only clocks up if the usage is consistently near 98% or more. If not, it'll downclock its self until it is. In this case the bottleneck is actually your CPU, not GPU. Go play a more graphically intensive game and it should stay up at higher speeds.

Hey! Thank you a lot! Simple as it is this might be one of the explanations why I do not reach a consistent framerate in MechWarrior Online. The FPS there really jump - as does the GPU load. A pitty, yet it is only beta of course. But the clocks won`t be stable for me. I achieved better FPS with my 580m in relation... This is why I asked about a higher "base" clock.

Thank you again.

phila

• Brian featured this topic