NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Thank you, uhh.. Santa! ... I forgot your name, uhh, new here, one second.. -ruffles papers- svl7! Thank you svl7!

Just flashed your Dell 80.04.5B.00.02 vbios and it works perfectly! I'm up at 901 mhz before throttling kicks in, and there's no awkward throttling in the middle of benchmarks. (Formerly, it'd run at 888 and keep switching between that and 135 a few times per second.)

I'd like to overvolt since I'm not even breaking 70 C and I believe that's what's causing it to throttle down to 901 mhz. Is it safe to flash one of the other Dell vbios's that don't match my version?

If it's any help, I've attached my original vbios. It's from an Alienware M17x running a 680m, vbios version number 80.04.5B.00.02 .

atjandra: From what I can tell, yes, it'll help. In my experience the stock vbios tends to be unstable at high speeds, including its own Boost Clock. It randomly jumps between 750+ and 135 whenever it's under stress, even if it's not hot. The custom vbios slv7 provides fixes this.

I didn't have to re-enter any serial keys or reactivate Windows. I'm running 7, though. I don't know if 8's any different, but there's my two cents.

EDIT: Yeah, that's the source of the throttling. I got it to go to 1006 mhz somehow and the GPU kept crashing. It needs more power, Scotty!

EDIT AGAIN: We have a massive problem! When this vbios is active, it doesn't downclock the card when the laptop is running off of its battery anymore. At all. Normally it's kept down at 135 mhz and a really low voltage. With it as it is now, it's drawing *over 110 watts from the battery*. This is could be a fire hazard! I'm happy it runs so fast off the battery, but it scares me to do this for more than a few minutes at a time. Plus, it's playing bloody murder on lifetime. I'd estimate that it'd last maybe 30-45 minutes, and that's without a strong load on it. That's just because it refuses to downclock.

Is there any way you could bring the clockrange further so I can manually bring it down with MSI Afterburner, slv7? The lowest it's letting me go is 405 mhz, and I'd like to go down to 135 (or lower if possible). I don't want the laptop to forcefully underclock its self all the time so I can still show my system off when I'm not near an outlet, but I'd like it to last a more reasonable amount of time on battery.

Edit. 'Gain.: Yeeees indeedily this is more of a problem than I thought. Just decided to do a benchmark off the battery. It got inordinately hot as I slowly tried more intensive tests. Once it hit 125 watts the system shut down due to insufficient power. It did that while running at 405 mhz. In order to play graphically intensive games on battery I'll need to clock lower.

What really bothers me was how long it took to cool the battery. It's core must've been outrageously hot since I'd hold it for a few minutes under a box fan, get it to room temperature, walk away for a minute, come back and suddenly it's as hot as it was before, even without being plugged into the laptop. It only took fifteen minutes of discharging for it to act that way.

On a side note, it does eventually underclock (and undervolt) down to 135 mhz if it's left to idle long enough. I'd still like some way to /keep/ it down there, though. The ability to bring it even lower would be fun too; maybe I can double my battery life or something.

Maybe it'd be best if the vbios still manually forced the GPU to underclock on battery under all circumstances, benchmarks or not. It'd be annoying if my laptop turned off every time I identically pulled the plug while playing a complicated game.

Dell_680m_80.04.5B.00.02_Alienware_M17x_stock.zip

Nofew, I have similar problems when overclocking HOWEVER, mine are that when the clocks are going from pstate to pstate random pixel discoloration occurs. However it rectifies after a few seconds. Also if you want clocks to downclock you must go into power options>advanced settings and change the Graphics Processor settings to balanced. As well as in the nvidia control panel you must change the option in manage 3d settings "Power management" to adaptive. Please let me know if this helped and if you have the pixel discoloration at low clocks.

Nope, no weird artifacts at low clocks. I already have the settings you suggested, and they do bring the clocks lower when the system is idle, but they don't force it to stay low when the laptop's running off its battery.

Hey guys :) I was wondering if any of You great modders could mod my BIOS for Asus N56VZ because I really want to overclock the GPU, I have also tried p states in Nvidia Inspector but it is no good, still can't cross the 135+ Mhz barrier for the core. The BIOS is in the attachmentm, it is the latest that is available in Asus homepage. I would be really appreciateful for it. Thank You :)

N56VZAS216.zip

Heh, funny. I moved it down one bin to 993 mhz and it's stable. P7831! Epic! Now I'm just hoping for a Dell 80.04.5B.00.02 version at 1.1 volts.. There's some stuttering when I have it running this high that makes it look like the camera's skipping ahead of where it should be, but other than that there's no obvious issues. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm one step lower than the maximum my card can handle at its current voltage, not an issue with the vbios.

I'm not sure if anyone else has discovered this, but running the 680m's memory clock at 2500 doesn't help much. It's actually worse in some tests than leaving it at stock speeds. However, running it slightly lower fixes it. My best guess is that the memory clock and processor clock have to be somewhat in-sync, and if the memory outpaces the processor sometimes the memory ticks /just/ before the processor gives it a command, thus requiring it to wait a longer period of time before the next tick. Chances are there's some magic number the clock needs to be set at to really make things shine.

I have a MSI GT70 with a gtx 675mx (4GB) Could you make sure everything will go smoothly

[ATTACH]6819[/ATTACH]

Or is the MSI one that you posted for the 4Gb 675mx going to work?

its gonna work just flash it according to flashing guide from sticky
  • Thumbs Up 1

@svl7 any chance to get a hands on oved gtx 675mx 4gb vbios? tnx

What was your vbios version?

Hi,

I currently own a msi gt70-one w/ gtx680m (win 8 pro os). I would like to know:

1. If I have no intention to oc the 680m, would it be wise to flash the vbios?

2. If I flash the vbios, should I re-enter my win 8 serial number?

Any advices would be appreciated.

Thank you.

No and no.

SVL7 is it possible to get you to do one of your awesome vBIOs on my k3000m?

Yes, vbios?

Seems im having an issue with the modded vbios for clevo 680m gpu's. When I boot up my computer the 680m WILL NOT throttle down to idle clocks until i open up msi afterburner. Using gpuz tonitor the clocks they stay the same. its not until i open msi afterburner will the clocks drop. whats the issue?

Decoy101x: Certain things cause the clocks to spin up. Generally any changes in resolution, summoning the UAC dialogue or starting a fullscreen 3D game will kick it into gear. I also believe it also runs at full (non-boost) speed during boot.

It takes a few minutes for it to realize it can clock down. Try just sitting idle for a few minutes and see if that gets it without starting Afterburner. You may also want to disable UAC (only for a short period of time!) so starting Afterburner doesn't kick it back up.

• Thumbs Up 1

i think that was it. i reflashed back to stock vbios and reinstalled 314.22 just to make sure it wasnt something i did as of recent.

though I noticed with stock vbios overclocked to 850/2000 I was playing HAWKEN and a few times during my match the core clocked dropped to 740 and once for a good 10 or 20 seconds it dropped down to 719 and then went back to 850. no idea whats happening but will the custom VBIOS stop that?

also whats a good way to monitor my cpu frequencies while in game?

i think that was it. i reflashed back to stock vbios and reinstalled 314.22 just to make sure it wasnt something i did as of recent.

though I noticed with stock vbios overclocked to 850/2000 I was playing HAWKEN and a few times during my match the core clocked dropped to 740 and once for a good 10 or 20 seconds it dropped down to 719 and then went back to 850. no idea whats happening but will the custom VBIOS stop that?

also whats a good way to monitor my cpu frequencies while in game?

What are your temps like? You can use Throttlestop to monitor cpu frequencies. It doesn't have an in-game OSD like Afterburner but it keeps a log you can look at afterwards.

• Brian featured this topic