NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

post-10635-14494994383618_thumb.jpgGuys please help me out .. I don't know what happened but after finally being able to get into Dos I nvflashed to Clevo 680m (80.04.33.00.10) 'OCedition' revised v01 rom(think thats where i fkd up sighh).ctrl alt deleted and restarted with usb unplugged and now it stuck at the screen with intel rapid storage with disk info thats it.. It won't boot past that!!

What did i do wrong? please help :( where do I go from here..?

svl7 please help me :( Im willing to donate to solve this problem just really want my pc back to how it was :/

If you can boot dos again, try flashing an MSI rom. Are you able to get to the bios? The idea is to boot dos again even if nothing comes on the screen and try to enter the commands blindly. You can download MSI roms from the second post or download the original MSI rom from here: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?page=1&architecture=&manufacturer=&model=GTX+680M&interface=&memSize=0

If you can't boot dos, you might have to send you Notebook for repairs at the place where you bought it :(.

Very weird indeed I've searched everywhere for help.. when I attempt to boot without any HDD its just blank screen. I've been trying to blind flash but can't really tell(durr me its blind) i have the nvflash cwimd and the old backup along with that also the autoexec.bat. What I wrote in the auto exec is nvflash -6 new.rom. My next question is there anyway to tell if blind flash is working or loading?

Hey guys I'm new round here :D and I have svI7's vbios installed on my Clevo GTX 680m currently running @ 958/1150 and I just have a couple of questions + Need to build up my 5 posts to have full site access :) ( I Already paid the $5 fee because because I couldn't wait to download!), but that ran out, I don't even know when lol.

Firstly: is the "80.04.67.00.01 - OCEdition no OV" newer than the "80.04.33.00.10 - OCEdition no OV" and is it better, more stable? because I'm using the "80.04.33.00.10" ?

Secondly: My 680m with even the stock clocks for the vbios mod by svI7 (758) goes to 89C when the GPU is being utilized 99% in Crysis 3. Why is this happening? My retailer said that they would be putting IC-Diamond on the GPU and CPU both but giving their track record for customer service plus there was something missing when I received it, I doubt they even touched that. Anyways is this normal for my GPU to run at 89C even at lower clocks? at the moment when it does get to 89C it instantly jumps to 603/504 or something, throttling I guess but Will the IC-Diamond help it if I repaste it?

Thirdly: Where is the 920 core stock Saltius vbios mod for the GTX 680m that I keep reading about? is it an older version that's not really used anymore?

Fourthly: (Sorry for so many questions i'm sure they will help others) - When I install the vbios mod my fps in MSI Kombustor went from 60-63 to about 91-93 FPS without me even touching any clocks, Do you know why that is? and How did you make these mods? I'm sure they are hard and time consuming and require a lot of knowledge but how do you do it if you don't mind me asking? also Is there a limit for how many times you can write a vbios to the ROM?

Thank you very much svI7 and any other user who can answer my questions :smile:

Fourthly: (Sorry for so many questions i'm sure they will help others) - When I install the vbios mod my fps in MSI Kombustor went from 60-63 to about 91-93 FPS without me even touching any clocks, Do you know why that is?

Hi!

I guess it has something to do with the ability of Kepler to detect Benchmarks/Burn in Tests... If a benchmark/burn in test is detected the chip will auto-throttle. With the new bios this might be interrupted, resulting in higher frames.

About your temps in Crysis 3... What kind of rig do you have? MSI, Clevo? Alienware? On my Clevo I don´t get past 77C in C3 - with svl7's 80.04.33.00.10 @ 958/2385 I don`t get past 85C.

Best regards

Phila

Hi!

What kind of rig do you have? MSI, Clevo? Alienware? On my Clevo I don´t get past 77C in C3 - with svl7's 80.04.33.00.10 @ 958/2385 I don`t get past 85C.

Phila

Hey Phila!

I have a Clevo P150EM, Maybe the same as you? If not then maybe the heat problem is because it's a 15.6" but I doubt that. I have IC-Dimond Caret 7 coming in the mail soon though so maybe the thermal compound I currently have on the processors is either had better days or is not something premium?

What is the average ambient temperature of the room that you tested in for the results that you got and will 2 or 3 degrees higher than yours affect my results (Just so I can get an idea on how much ambient temperature affects the core temperature)?

Also when I get this temperature problem fixed will a constant clock of 958/2386 like yours ;) take away from the overall life of my 680m, Will I get artifacts sooner than when I would if I didn't overclock? I unsure about this because I was reading about OverVolting and how it can eventually ruin your GPU with artifacts and such?

Also do you think running @ 85C Max (If I can get as low as that) is bad for a stable overclock to run all the time? And with my card currently getting to 89C Max maybe even 90 for a split second is that damaging my GPU at all?

Thank you Phila, and anyone else who can help my Mighty Overclocking Venture :smilingface (52):

Best Regards

Hi bignaz and welcome to TI!

My assumption was wrong and that GTX670MX vB is indeed part of the sBIOS.

Anyway I attached the stock one for someone to tinker with it. ;)

Thanks i use to mess around with the cbios back in the 6800 days but nothing with the combined bios so i dont even know where to start lol.

Hey! Just askin if installing a modded BIOS would be safe. i mean is it foolproof? can i recover from a brick? :) im currently using my MSI GE 60 and i would want to OC it (currently i can only OC to 957mhz but @Prema 's Bios mod would allow me to OC to 1040 iirc). i had a bad experience in Bios installing (though i guess its because i was treading on unstable ground, forcing bios options on an Acer with InsydeH2O was not fun at all) so i'm a little scared but still willing to go through with it. :)

Hey! Just askin if installing a modded BIOS would be safe. i mean is it foolproof? can i recover from a brick? :) im currently using my MSI GE 60 and i would want to OC it (currently i can only OC to 957mhz but @Prema 's Bios mod would allow me to OC to 1040 iirc). i had a bad experience in Bios installing (though i guess its because i was treading on unstable ground, forcing bios options on an Acer with InsydeH2O was not fun at all) so i'm a little scared but still willing to go through with it. :)

That simple vBIOS mod is harmless as long as you don't burn your system into the ground with high temps. The risk of bricking is not higher as with a stock BIOS update. There is also some recovery method on the MSI...

@svl7 I was wondering if you could help me flash your modified bios to a CLEVO GTX675MX, Bios ver 80.04.58.00.05. I've tried to flash your modded bios and nvflash errors out with "Error: Mismatch in 256 byte page mode programming" Here is my original bios if it helps.

Has anybody got any idea's?

hi, i´ll change vbios for my clevo gtx680m , i´ve a question, 1025v or 1050v? is 1050v dangerous? what temperature will reach with 1050v? and what is the recommended core clock/memory in 1025v and 1050v?

i already have 0,987v with 958/1188 , thanks and Greetings to all

Your Text

Hi happycamper! Yes, we got the same rig. Average temp in my Room is 22C. With the stated oc I reach 84-85C in demanding scenes. This are high, but not too high temps.

In my other notebook i got the 580m that i oced as well (Temps up to 90C in summertime) and she is still alive.

All the new generations of chips will autothrottle at dangerous Temps (580m did this at 97C). So you should not get any Problems with a Max of 85C.

With OC you get artifacts sooner but they wont ruin your card, they are just ingame irritations. I found Crysis 2 or Saints Row 3rd very good in testing for artifacts as both games start showing artifacts long before the drivers crash.

Yet, you have to realize, that no two cards are the same - might be you get artifacts sooner/later than anyone else...

Best regards.

Phila

Thanks to original poster for all this technical information!! Has anyone tried Liquid Ultra metal thermal paste on these 680ms? was it worth it? I dont go over 70c max currently and after flashing and oc'ing I want temp to remain low by changing from the mx2 to liquid ultra

• Brian featured this topic