NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Well I ran into a hell of a problem. I've flashed before (3 times) and never had this happen. I've got an np9170 with the 680m in it. I flashed the 1000 33s in a dos enviroment, rebooted and I get the intel screen before the bios loads. It basically reads that it is ivybridge and that decompiling is prohibited. Ever seen anything like this? I have everything to blind flash it if I can get past this insane screen. What the hell happened?

Well I ran into a hell of a problem. I've flashed before (3 times) and never had this happen. I've got an np9170 with the 680m in it. I flashed the 1000 33s in a dos enviroment, rebooted and I get the intel screen before the bios loads. It basically reads that it is ivybridge and that decompiling is prohibited. Ever seen anything like this? I have everything to blind flash it if I can get past this insane screen. What the hell happened?

Did you flash the MSI 33.00.24 or the Clevo 33.00.10?

I flashed the clevo ones.

So you have a Clevo P170EM with Clevo vBIOS MOD v80.04.33.00.10? Well do you know if you where on the latest main BIOS or at least already on 1.02.xx?

The 33 & 67 vBIOS where made for W370EMx/W570WMx models with proper UEFI support, so if your BIOS doesn't provide that...

it helped some users to wait for like 15 minutes at the boot screen to pass boot...you may also try a CMOS reset (remove PSU, battery & BIOS battery from below the keyboard).

If you are or plan on using UEFI (Win8) boot, then you need to use the mods based on v80.04.67.00.01. Version 80.04.33.00.10 has an "UEFI mode only bug" which keeps the GPU running at much lower Mhz than it should.

Hi svl7 - I have download all four of the MSI 680m vbios from the second post. Each one when I click on the zip file after I have downloaded them says that the file is invalid. I am able to manually extract the contents though. Each file inside does not seem to have the .rom extention, but part of the filename itself as the extention. I've tried this from two different computers with the same result.

If I rename each vbios file with a .rom extention, I get some very persistent warnings from nvflash when attempting to flash that make me think something is wrong. The messages are not the normal run of the mill messages that you see when flashing. Am I losing my mind, or is there something wrong with the files?

Hi svl7 - I have download all four of the MSI 680m vbios from the second post. Each one when I click on the zip file after I have downloaded them says that the file is invalid. I am able to manually extract the contents though. Each file inside does not seem to have the .rom extention, but part of the filename itself as the extention. I've tried this from two different computers with the same result.

I just downloaded all of them, and every single archive is fine. I have no idea what the problem is. Might be your browser...

Yeah it seems that was my mistake, I thought I was running a new enough bios. Do I havve any other options? I've tried both of those to no avail. Thanks for the help again Prema

Well:

- I don't think the EMs boot without dGPU, otherwise you could just boot with Intel graphics and update your sBIOS

- If you have an other GPU you could update your main BIOS

- If you have someone with a Notebook that takes your 680M you could flash your card there

- You could try to take the v14 BIOS file, rename it exactly to "P17EM_08.rom" and follow part 2 of THIS

Good Luck! :69:

my version bios(p370em) is 1.02.06, i think the best choise will be Clevo 680m - 80.04.67.00.01 'OCedition' revised_01.zip this is the same version as I have but it has unlocked OC

What is new in v8 compare v6 (i have only customized boot logo by reseller ) ?? ok i will try v67 version :)

btw in stock voltage i reach 2600mhz on memory (stable on 3dmarks and games)

Well this is the official Changelog: Support eDP panel

But Clevo never mentions the real changes, they just pick one or two points...

Holding down FN + b leads to a restart loop. Releasing it boots to the same screen. I don't have access to a different computer right now.

The laptop WILL boot without the Nvidia card in it. However the fan will run at Max rpm and it shuts down after a varying amount of time. My idea is that I would just flash it without the card in it. I'm scared that it will shut down during it however since I cannot guess how long it will take before it turns off. Anyone know why it does this?

P.S. I should say that when the Nvidia card is out the laptop boots normally, I login and browse the web or what ever else I would do under normal circumstances. It is just a gamble as to how long it will last.

Holding down FN + b leads to a restart loop. Releasing it boots to the same screen. I don't have access to a different computer right now.

The laptop WILL boot without the Nvidia card in it. However the fan will run at Max rpm and it shuts down after a varying amount of time. My idea is that I would just flash it without the card in it. I'm scared that it will shut down during it however since I cannot guess how long it will take before it turns off. Anyone know why it does this?

The EC gets no temperature reading from the dGPU, so it does an emergency shutdown...

I have no idea if the time is enough, but to get the max time:

- remove all drives, SSDs DVD etc except the pendrive to force it as boot device

- create an autexec.bat file with just this line:

afudos P170EM.14 /E /P /B /N /X /SHUTDOWN %1 %2 %3 %4

I create this file, remove everything, plug in the flash drive and boot right? It will run by itself?

What happens if it turns off before this finishes? Also I figured it was due to the temperature reading tricking it. I can't turn this off can I?

I create this file, remove everything, plug in the flash drive and boot right? It will run by itself?

What happens if it turns off before this finishes? Also I figured it was due to the temperature reading tricking it. I can't turn this off can I?

YES, you put the regular P170EM.14 update along with afudos & the autoexec.bat file on your DOS pendrive and boot. It will flash EC & BIOS and then autoshutdown.

(Only works with that file as it also contains the matching v11 EC, don't try this command with every BIOS file)

If it shutsdown before it finishes...FUBAR

Well, Sadly, I tried putting a different video card in the laptop and I got the same error. Now I am lost. I know the laptop runs fine without the card, so I assumed the problem was the card. Here is the thing, I just got the second card in recently, is it possible that it runs a vbios my bios cannot handle? The bios you sent me was actually the last time I updated Prema. It is a 670MX, out of a laptop that is not even a week old.

Is the vbios on that card already in a form that won't run on mine so I am getting the same error? I'm off to put the 680m in the other laptop and pray it boots, if it does not I might seriously be sol.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: 680m boots fine in the new laptop. Basically I am going to flash it back in the new laptop, put it in the old one and roll with it. I'll update if I have anymore bad luck. I'm just gonna roll with the stock bios for now, seeing as how my oversight was almost fatal. Keeping my fingers crossed that this goes cleanly. Thanks for Prema for all the help, gonna see if this works and if all ends well I will be sending a beer your way (Of course, even if it does not go well I'll be treating you to a second beer, this is the second time you have helped me out of a massive mistake on my part.)

Update 2: And success! Flashing the bios back actually fixed it. I'll do more research next time before I jump. When I can Prema I will be sending you some cash through paypal as I always do when you help me. Thanks again man, you are a life savor.

Well, Sadly, I tried putting a different video card in the laptop and I got the same error. Now I am lost. I know the laptop runs fine without the card, so I assumed the problem was the card. Here is the thing, I just got the second card in recently, is it possible that it runs a vbios my bios cannot handle? The bios you sent me was actually the last time I updated Prema. It is a 670MX, out of a laptop that is not even a week old.

Is the vbios on that card already in a form that won't run on mine so I am getting the same error? I'm off to put the 680m in the other laptop and pray it boots, if it does not I might seriously be sol.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: 680m boots fine in the new laptop. Basically I am going to flash it back in the new laptop, put it in the old one and roll with it. I'll update if I have anymore bad luck. I'm just gonna roll with the stock bios for now, seeing as how my oversight was almost fatal. Keeping my fingers crossed that this goes cleanly. Thanks for Prema for all the help, gonna see if this works and if all ends well I will be sending a beer your way (Of course, even if it does not go well I'll be treating you to a second beer, this is the second time you have helped me out of a massive mistake on my part.)

Update 2: And success! Flashing the bios back actually fixed it. I'll do more research next time before I jump. When I can Prema I will be sending you some cash through paypal as I always do when you help me. Thanks again man, you are a life savor.

Glad you got it working again! And yes, the 670MX &675MX were recently updated to UEFI vBIOS too and mostly create the same trouble with HMs or EMs with older BIOS...

@svl7 did you try to remove the whole UEFI part from those newer vBs, yet?

• Brian featured this topic