NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

i think my problem -> 680m is not detected in DOS and Windows - comes from optimus switching (intel igpu / 680m) i found a person with the same problem on the NBR Forum he could only flash in Windows (a bootet USB Stick with DOS was not possible) and he had to deinstall the nvidia drivers first.

what are your experiences with nvflash (windows version) and Win8 64Bit?

i think my problem -> 680m is not detected in DOS and Windows - comes from optimus switching (intel igpu / 680m) i found a person with the same problem on the NBR Forum he could only flash in Windows (a bootet USB Stick with DOS was not possible) and he had to deinstall the nvidia drivers first.

what are your experiences with nvflash (windows version) and Win8 64Bit?

What laptop? I have a Clevo 170EM, and can still flash in DOS (this system does have optimus)..

What laptop? I have a Clevo 170EM, and can still flash in DOS (this system does have optimus)..

i have a P170EM with mainboard rev. 6-71-P15EO-D06AF

it came with AMD GPU so I had sent my notbook to Clevo (Germany) they changed my GPU from AMD 7970m to Nvidia 680m....

Madcat207 - which EC/Bios do you have? and which DOS nvflash version did work for you?

i have a P170EM with mainboard rev. 6-71-P15EO-D06AF

it came with AMD GPU so I had sent my notbook to Clevo (Germany) they changed my GPU from AMD 7970m to Nvidia 680m....

Madcat207 - which EC/Bios do you have? and which DOS nvflash version did work for you?

Hey - my 170EM has a bios of 4.6.5 (According to CPU-Z).

I used the 5.127 version of NVFlash. Pretty much just followed this guide:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2166-%5Bguide%5D-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html#post28018

Hi first post here. I also posted this on another site but I'm posting my situation here for extra eyes to see and help if possible.

Throttling issues, cause unknown.

So help me out, I been having an issue with my brand new GT70 with a gtx 680m. I havent done any overclocks on it, all still stock but with the newest beta drivers 313.96

This issue occurs whether I turn on the turbo feature button or not.

I tried out my system with Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 so far and the circumstances occur in both cases. For example, in GW2, when staring at a scenery and not moving, I maintain a fairly constant 70 fps, but every 30 seconds to sometimes 5 minutes, it drops down to 20-30 fps for a few seconds. I believe the GPU is throttling and when running GPU-Z in the background, it goes from 99% gpu load to 50%, consistent with the fps drop. With the fan speed at max, I sometimes go up to 80 degrees but this problem occurs even when I'm sitting around 74 degrees.

Is anyone else encountering this issue or is there a way to set it so that it will not throttle at all? I have been keeping a close eye on temperature and it never reaches dangerous levels.

So I'm still a tech beginner so asking for lots of advice. Hardly know if it's the bios, vbios or ec I'm supposed to update. Would the vbios from here help fix the issue? http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks-136.html

or the EC from here BETA EC for GT60 (16F3) & GT70 (1762)

Not sure which method I'm supposed to use because it seems both sort of seems to help with the random gpu throttling I get. Am I supposed to do one? both? in any particular order?

If there's any guide you can recommend I follow to actually implement these ways of fixing it, I would really appreciate the help. I'm unsure what to do at the moment.

The throttling in the MSI systems seem to be bios / ec related, there has been some discussion about this a couple of pages ago. Should be fixable with the proper bios/ec combo. Then you can put a modfied vbios from the second post on top of that and you're set :)

i bought a sefmade laptop from an internet site, what version do i need to unlock my card? just overclocking the core clock via msi afterbuner is fine to me,

MSI vbios from the second post.

so just to get it right, MSI 680m - 80.04.33.00.24_'OCedition'_revised_02 this one just allows me to overlock with msi after burner, and the others with OV 1000,1025,1050 are with voltage mods? how far can i go with each OV version?

The throttling in the MSI systems seem to be bios / ec related, there has been some discussion about this a couple of pages ago. Should be fixable with the proper bios/ec combo. Then you can put a modfied vbios from the second post on top of that and you're set :)

MSI vbios from the second post.

sir i really appreciate your work,it solve my issue that bugging me for days

but i noticed that dell gtx680m's Vbios has a bootscreen about copyright or something

I REALLY wanna it remove,could you please remove it for me? please

and sorry for my english im a chinese.

No. If you don't like it, don't use my vbios mod. I put it there because your Chinese fellows posted my mods as their own work on several forums.

im not aware of that.

i'm really sorry for their behavior

but im not one of them.

anyway,i guess i will figure it out by myself.

or and can i purchase an customize mod for my dell gtx680m?

I won't share it.

No. If you don't like it, don't use my vbios mod. I put it there because your Chinese fellows posted my mods as their own work on several forums.

post-10051-14494994298867_thumb.jpg

and sir ,not all of us did what u said .check this.the red name. that's u right?

please. i just wanna my laptop more powerful.let me buy you a drink .

• Founder
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6028[/ATTACH]

and sir ,not all of us did what u said .check this.the red name. that's u right?

please. i just wanna my laptop more powerful.let me buy you a drink .

What's the problem using the BIOS with the copyright then ?

Hi first post here. I also posted this on another site but I'm posting my situation here for extra eyes to see and help if possible.

Throttling issues, cause unknown.

So help me out, I been having an issue with my brand new GT70 with a gtx 680m. I havent done any overclocks on it, all still stock but with the newest beta drivers 313.96

This issue occurs whether I turn on the turbo feature button or not.

I tried out my system with Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 so far and the circumstances occur in both cases. For example, in GW2, when staring at a scenery and not moving, I maintain a fairly constant 70 fps, but every 30 seconds to sometimes 5 minutes, it drops down to 20-30 fps for a few seconds. I believe the GPU is throttling and when running GPU-Z in the background, it goes from 99% gpu load to 50%, consistent with the fps drop. With the fan speed at max, I sometimes go up to 80 degrees but this problem occurs even when I'm sitting around 74 degrees.

Is anyone else encountering this issue or is there a way to set it so that it will not throttle at all? I have been keeping a close eye on temperature and it never reaches dangerous levels.

So I'm still a tech beginner so asking for lots of advice. Hardly know if it's the bios, vbios or ec I'm supposed to update. Would the vbios from here help fix the issue? http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks-136.html

or the EC from here BETA EC for GT60 (16F3) & GT70 (1762)

Not sure which method I'm supposed to use because it seems both sort of seems to help with the random gpu throttling I get. Am I supposed to do one? both? in any particular order?

If there's any guide you can recommend I follow to actually implement these ways of fixing it, I would really appreciate the help. I'm unsure what to do at the moment.

Install the BETA EC for GT70(1762). That should help fix most of your problems....

If not, I suggest taking the notebook apart and replacing the heatsink compound on both your GPU and CPU with some high quality compound. This will help quite a bit. My GT70 doesn't throttle at all, even under full load for long periods of time while OC'd to 980 MHz.

Look, there's no reason to discuss this anymore here. I gave you my reasons. You didn't share the vbios, I don't blame you, but that's the way it is, and it will stay like this.

Seriously, it's 2 seconds. If you can't handle the two additional seconds then don't use my vbios. No need for further discussion.

• Thumbs Up 2

Look, there's no reason to discuss this anymore here. I gave you my reasons. You didn't share the vbios, I don't blame you, but that's the way it is, and it will stay like this.

Seriously, it's 2 seconds. If you can't handle the two additional seconds then don't use my vbios. No need for further discussion.

okay.then i wont use it.thx anyway

@darkhawk did you have the same problem too? And before installing the BETA EC for GT70(1762), is it necessary to update the bios or vbios or anything else first? I hate to risk bricking my pc so even at the price of some performance, if this one fix is all I need to stop the gpu throttling, I'm willing to live with that.

Install the BETA EC for GT70(1762). That should help fix most of your problems....

If not, I suggest taking the notebook apart and replacing the heatsink compound on both your GPU and CPU with some high quality compound. This will help quite a bit. My GT70 doesn't throttle at all, even under full load for long periods of time while OC'd to 980 MHz.

Just picked me up a m17x R4 with a 680m in it and even with the non OverVolt option it opens the card up decently. Sorta bummed that when I tried running a few tests that the driver seized up on me, tried a bold and brazen +200/+200 OC and 3DMark11 didnt like it on the last test. Would the Overvolt version make much of a difference there, or is this card just not capable of higher tier clocking. ((Note: Havent posted really, so unable to download your Overvolting Epicness variant))

seems i made 1 step forward - i installed a spare HDD with Win7 32Bit and now the nvflash win tool can find my NVidia Card.

Sadly DOS tool does not work. I'll try to flash it when i have some time for testing...

So my issue came from Windoes 8 64Bit in combination with the nvflash in version 5.117

(my card was not found by the tool. After uninstalling the NVIDIA drivers nvflash had reported that it could not start the needed nvflash driver ?!)

Just picked me up a m17x R4 with a 680m in it and even with the non OverVolt option it opens the card up decently. Sorta bummed that when I tried running a few tests that the driver seized up on me, tried a bold and brazen +200/+200 OC and 3DMark11 didnt like it on the last test. Would the Overvolt version make much of a difference there, or is this card just not capable of higher tier clocking. ((Note: Havent posted really, so unable to download your Overvolting Epicness variant))

From what I gather the 680M is an intentionally crippled card that Nvidia released in order to merely unlock the extra voltage/clocks and re-release the same chip as a new "higher tiered" card such as is the 680MX that was recently introduced. So that said...yes flashing the overvolted bios will net you a huge performance increase. I was able to do a little better than your current clocks on the stock unlocked bios, but I am now running the 1.05V bios and for benchmarking will push +382 on core and +350 memory netting me 3Dmark11 scores around 8400..... I game at around 1000mhz and never see temps get above 80 unless I'm pushing the Crysis 3 beta at max which I saw temps hit 90! Which is a question I had for you SVL7.. I noticed that the throttle threshold was 90? It seemed the temps would "bounce" from 89 and when it hit 90 the game would stutter till the temp came back down that degree again.. it might have been placebo affect but the cards temps would not go any higher, and I of course did not want to utilize my accidental warranty so soon haha. Again this only happens in Crysis 3 running all settings maxxed.

I'm not sure... I never hit 90°C, I think if you hit that temp with this card you should think about repasting, de-dusting or tweaking the contact between heatsink and die, increasing the fan speed... whatever you can do. 90°C is already rather high, and changing the throttling threshold wouldn't be a solution.

From what I gather the 680M is an intentionally crippled card that Nvidia released in order to merely unlock the extra voltage/clocks and re-release the same chip as a new "higher tiered" card such as is the 680MX that was recently introduced. So that said...yes flashing the overvolted bios will net you a huge performance increase. I was able to do a little better than your current clocks on the stock unlocked bios, but I am now running the 1.05V bios and for benchmarking will push +382 on core and +350 memory netting me 3Dmark11 scores around 8400..... I game at around 1000mhz and never see temps get above 80 unless I'm pushing the Crysis 3 beta at max which I saw temps hit 90! Which is a question I had for you SVL7.. I noticed that the throttle threshold was 90? It seemed the temps would "bounce" from 89 and when it hit 90 the game would stutter till the temp came back down that degree again.. it might have been placebo affect but the cards temps would not go any higher, and I of course did not want to utilize my accidental warranty so soon haha. Again this only happens in Crysis 3 running all settings maxxed.

Then how come my card throttles at 70-75c in crysis ? other games it doesnt throttle anything at higher temps.

I'm not sure... I never hit 90°C, I think if you hit that temp with this card you should think about repasting, de-dusting or tweaking the contact between heatsink and die, increasing the fan speed... whatever you can do. 90°C is already rather high, and changing the throttling threshold wouldn't be a solution.

Hmm.... kinda frustrating to hear - i have already repasted (using Antec Formula 7), and in gaming i will hit 83-85 peak (MechWarrior Online), with +162/+250 (but letting the system control the fan.. haven't tried the dust buster mode yet....).

This is on a 170EM...

Ok, so i hit the fans to full speed (Fn+1), and the temps never peaked above 76 with the same clocks. Arg.. what i wouldn't give for fan control in afterburner...

• Brian featured this topic