NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

@svl7 Just an update for you. Finally got home and the new vbios installed without a hitch. Downloaded afterburner and the core clock is now adjustable past the 135 mark. I'm going to mess with the clocks, see what kind of performance I get, and I'll get back to you with more updates. In the mean time, thanks a heap.

@buluunee You're running a 675mx in your machine right? Any suggestions as to where to start my clocks for the OC procedure?

@svl7 Another update on the vbios I tried out from you. In short, everything worked great! Check your paypal account, I left you a donation/beer money. Again, thanks for all the quick replies and help. My card is definitely running how I wanted it to.

As for the benchmarks:

I'm using an i7-3630QM processor, with an nvidia gtx675mx. Laptop brand is a sager np9150, have a notepal u2 laptop cooler, and running windows in performance mode. The benchmarks were ran using 3dmark 11.

In short: Overclocking from base to 420+ (Clock and Memory using Afterburner) ran up my graphics score and overall score by about +2000 on both. Physics went up by about 200+. (Also, and this is just for bragging rights, my scores were graphed along a distribution chart on the 3dmark site and my scores topped the current charts with people running rigs similar to mine, placing my scores at number 1!) Further, my temps only reached a maximum of 71 C, which if i'm not mistaken is a pretty safe temperature for overclocking?

It should be noted that past roughly the 420 MHz+ mark, 3dmark 11 would crash. So I left my overclock settings at 420+ (Is this safe?)

I saved all of my exact scores to word files, so if anyone would like to see them just email me and I'll send em to you.

• Thumbs Up 1

@MrValle.

Think my head is beginning to hurt too. I've re-read your posts and there sure is alot going on with your 680. It doesn't sound like a card that is developing failure. It appears to be performing beautifully during bench marking. I am running Borderlands 2 without issues, and you have ran it in the past without issues so something in your system, OS, hardware or firmware has to have changed for it not to be running properly now. Sorry for stating the obvious, but when you try so many different things to find a solution, it starts to get unclear just how exactly the system is behaving.

I would recommend that you start over from the beginning. Start by re-flashing the M18 motherboard bios, and re-check all the bios settings. Next perform a clean install of windows, and at this point only load the Cougar 66 chipset driver and nothing else. Then install the Nvidia 680M driver. Next install 3D Mark 11 and Nvidia Inspector and perform some benchmark tests. If results are good then install a network driver to gain access to the Web to download and I install Steam and Borderlands 2. Do not install any other drivers, no windows updates, no anti virus, absolutely nothing but what is required to get that game up and running. Then game and see if throttling occurs. Test and change only one thing at a time and build the system up slowly.

I'm happy to help compare settings and gaming performance if we stick to Borderlands 2 as we both have it. If it helps PM me and I'll give you my Skype details so we can arrange to perform testing live as it will greatly speed the process along rather than bouncing posts back and forth in this forum. Have a think and let me know.

Thanks, any ideas,tips or tricks is appreciated.

I just bought dead space 3 for pc. it ran in 130fps and 77c gpu temp during main menu. But no throttling at all, it was working well.

So, some rare games just dont like my card :(

I will try what you suggested, i will reflash bios A05 that i already have just to make sure, and load default bios settings. And then i will format and install windows 8 again because i like it and it shouldnt be the culprit in this problem imo. And ill go from there.

And all feedback from you and others are all appreciated :) thank you.

@MrValle.

Graphically there is usually very little going on in Main Menus so Frame Rates will be super high. What frame rates were you getting in game?

If you have Vsync enabled and the native refresh rate of your display (in this case I assume your M18s dispaly) is 60Hz the game will be capped at 60 FPS. If the GPU struggles to process 60FPS then Vsync will force it to drop to 30FPS, if still struggling then to 15FPS. Most GPUs default to using 2 frame buffers to perform Vsync, thus the halving each time of the frame rate. To improve on this there is a process called Tripple Buffering, where 3 buffers are used to perform Vsync. You can enable this by launching the Nvidia control panel and uder 3D settings there is an option to switch on Tripple Buffering. This will help maintain Vsync and keep your Frame Rate up.

I have a M17 R3 so am unfamiliar with the M18 bios, but I am assuming that you can disable the Alienware integrated graphics chip?

@svl7 Another update on the vbios I tried out from you. In short, everything worked great! Check your paypal account, I left you a donation/beer money. Again, thanks for all the quick replies and help. My card is definitely running how I wanted it to.

As for the benchmarks:

I'm using an i7-3630QM processor, with an nvidia gtx675mx. Laptop brand is a sager np9150, have a notepal u2 laptop cooler, and running windows in performance mode. The benchmarks were ran using 3dmark 11.

In short: Overclocking from base to 420+ (Clock and Memory using Afterburner) ran up my graphics score and overall score by about +2000 on both. Physics went up by about 200+. (Also, and this is just for bragging rights, my scores were graphed along a distribution chart on the 3dmark site and my scores topped the current charts with people running rigs similar to mine, placing my scores at number 1!) Further, my temps only reached a maximum of 71 C, which if i'm not mistaken is a pretty safe temperature for overclocking?

It should be noted that past roughly the 420 MHz+ mark, 3dmark 11 would crash. So I left my overclock settings at 420+ (Is this safe?)

I saved all of my exact scores to word files, so if anyone would like to see them just email me and I'll send em to you.

Thank you! :D

This card is seriously underclocked... lol, glad to see it working like this. Temps are totally fine, great actually. I don't see any issue with a constant +420MHz overclock on the core as long as it is stable, it's stock voltage after all, but I would recommend to keep it easy on the memory overclock for daily use. Maybe +200 - +250MHz on the vram.

svl7, I have the MSI GT60-ONE-403US with the GTX680m. What are the differences between the 4 different vbios files you have on teh OP?

Please refer to the filenames and the description. Three of the MSI files come with increased voltage (OV) the other one is just tweaked for more overclocking and better performance.

well 450mhz is where it hits the limit on the core which will snow effect. 799mhz on core the also the limit where you ll see some snow effect for gtx 675mx. i can get stable OC for the benchmark at +445mhz on core and +788mhz on mem beyond that point 3dmark just crashes at the 3rd test. however this my latest 3dmark score with 785mhz on mem 430mhz on the core which gives me pretty decent score and low temps on benchmark NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor,Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-1762 score: P6516 3DMarks

with this score i am holding the first place in gTx 675mx results

I have two questions related to overclocking mobile cards with vmodded bioses:

1. Is the temperature the only factor that we should worry about and what is the recommended temp maximum for overclocked mobile card? How about the power section (mosfets/chokes)?

2. The power supply - if the battery is not charging (unplugged) do I have more headroom within the available maximum current from the unit i.e. is it better to keep the battery unplugged while OCing at higher voltage?

In the meantime thanks to this forum and svl7 I learned so much. Found out that afuwinflash and MMtool can help me obtain the Vbios.

If there is any way that I can help with the bios modding like hex editing and testing please let me know. I will be glad to help.

I am so happy that I can flash the modded bios for GTX 670MX if it becomes available.

Thank you.

Hello, i'm new here although i've been following the topic for quite a while.

I have a GTX670MX too (1.5g VRAM), on a Medion X7819, pretty similar to the MS1762 barebone and MSI GT70. I believe this card is underclocked (eg : gpu @ 615mhz, and 750mhz with afterburner) , 80.04.5B.00.A5 vbios. I do not get more that P3850 on 3dmark11 :(

The temps do not increase that much with max frequencies available on afterburner, it stands under 60°c at max load.

I can backup the vbios using gpu-z or nvflash, but can't do anything with.

Here is the vbios extracted with nvflash

Is there a way to get over these poor frequencies? Thanks !

@gokica.

Good to meet you here on TI.

I wondered that very same thing in relation to maximum safe temps so I contacted Nvidia Support direct. Really good bunch of people and you can open live text chats with a support representative. I was told that anything up to 85C is considered safe and healthy, 85C - 105C is considered to be critical, and quoting from memory, 105C and above you can expect to see smoke coming from your GPU!! Nice!.:sentimental:

In relation to the power side of things, you are correct in saying that the primary side of the Alienware motherboard would be under less load due to the absence of not having to charge a battery plus running the system...., but I'm sure there will be clever feedback circuitry in there to regulate the flow of current into the battery while sustaining the correct supply for the main system. The Mosfets and Buck Converters used to down convert the primary supply are thermal and peak current limited to safe guard against failure, so in my opinion I don't think you will burn out the power supply side of things. Although protection is in place sadly nothing is perfect and failure can still happen. Failure is more likely to occur the greater the loading placed on a circuit. I would say keep the battery in the system no matter how heavy you plan to overclock, I don't see it affecting performance. Hope this helps.

• Thumbs Up 1

Frostie, thank you for the elaborate answer. The GTX 670MX in my G75VX never goes beyond 60 degrees OCed at +135/+500 which is the maxumum by default. So I have a lot of headrum there.

Considering the fact that I have 180W supply which most probably can deliver some more from the rated W I think that I can play with about 30% headroom available under full load. I am sure that the laptop will never consume more than 130-140 W without OC. But once I OC heavily I will need lot more amps. I thought that the battery while charging takes part of the W/ampere from the PSU in order to charge. This is why I asked. I do not know if it has priority over the system to which should it deliver power first (the battery or the laptop components).

I am glad that there are more people with 670MX interested in raising the OC limits. Just like the 675MX I am sure that it is very underpowered.

And finally I am sure that svl7 will provide the OC bios for us in no time due to the experience as well as due to the fact that 675MX should have similar architecture and bios. I am not sure if ASUS makes major bios modifications due to the custom MXM board but still it is Nvidia GPU.

Thank you.

The 670MX is quite powerful to me, as i had only a 9800M GTS before, but like the G75 you have, gokica, many owners of the X7819 believe that it can do really better because it looks like the card is far beyond its capabilties.

When we see the gains we have in o/c it with afterburner (+135gpu + 1000vram), and how we are coming close to the 675MX specs even with 192bits bus width, i am sure we can beat or at least approach 7970M or 680M scores easily.

• Thumbs Up 1

The 670MX is quite powerful to me, as i had only a 9800M GTS before, but like the G75 you have, gokica, many owners of the X7819 believe that it can do really better because it looks like the card is far beyond its capabilties.

When we see the gains we have in o/c it with afterburner (+135gpu + 1000vram), and how we are coming close to the 675MX specs even with 192bits bus width, i am sure we can beat or at least approach 7970M or 680M scores easily.

Yes for a laptop card is a very good one. It is shame that it is so underpowered from its sibling the GTX 660 desktop graphic card. By raising the clock to +135 and + 500 for the memory (+1000 in afterburner and EVGA precision) I got about 30% plus FPS in Unigine Heaven. I guess Nvidia had to limit the card in order to keep it in the 75W thermal envelope.

I am not sure if we can reach higher clock on the memory although the modules are declared at 1500MHz (3000 in afterburner and EVGA precision). I tried with Nvidia Inspector to run the memory at 1500 but it seems that the voltage is not sufficient. I am not sure that we can remedy this via software. But the GPU memory controller is hungry for such speed.

The GPU max is about +160 (with Nvidia inspector). After that artifacts show up. If we can raise the voltage we can probably go higher than 800MHz on the GPU.

I have a clevo bios as P150EM with nvidia GTX680M Clevo 680m - 80.04.29.00.01 I wanted to know if I could replace the Clevo vbios 680m - 80.04.33.00.10 'OCedition' revised_01? compatibility and risk?

thank you

At least you can use Nvidia Inspector. My 670MX is clearly marked INVALID for the bios. disillusionment.png

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5994[/ATTACH]

Try and download the 1.91 version. Here you can get an Asian language version. Although it is older it may work fine.

If not you can still try batch commands in CMD and play with the P8 state that way.

Try and download the 1.91 version. Here you can get an Asian language version. Although it is older it may work fine.

If not you can still try batch commands in CMD and play with the P8 state that way.

I have it also on nvidia inspector after having 80.04.33.00.10 vbios flash the rev1 I have this message next to [iNVALID]!!

before I had the bios 80.04.29.00.01.

how to remove this message?

thank you

post-9905-14494994289645_thumb.png

Version 1.91 resolved an issue with the driver incompatibility of some sort that I had with my card.

See the last posts in the official blog (nick Goran).

OrbLog » Blog Archive » NVIDIA Inspector 1.95 – Tool

But it was not the same issue with the Invalid next to bios.

BTW do you guys get this message after you flashed a modded bios or is it the official bios?

• Brian featured this topic