NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Hi again ppl,

using the vbios Clevo 680m (80.04.33.00.10) 'OCedition' revised v01, I managed to only get stable OC with 938/2450, is it good?

Here are some benchs I made, are they normal?

OC(938/2450)

Heaven DX11 (default)

Room temp:21,5ºC

GPU Tempo:71ºC

Results: 97fps - 2445

3DMark11

GPU Tempo:66ºC

Results:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,CLEVO P15xEMx score: P7438 3DMarks

3DMark13

GPU Tempo:70ºC

Results:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,CLEVO P15xEMx

Thank you in advance,

Best Regards to all

@The guys who have "throttling" in Borderlands 2 and Planet Side 2

If the GPU Utilization jumps up and down it's not throttling, it's simply badly optimized CPU wise. Especially Planet Side 2.

Well I tried the different power setting which lost me 20fps so that isn't it I honestly think I just need more juice because at if I lift my memory clock from 2399mhz to 2499mhz I get weird glitches in 3dmark and all sorts of fun stuff :P and running it at 1080p is impossible the PSU just trips XD. and also the only reason I use the BETA EC is because any other BIOS unlocked or stock gave me constant throttling no matter what clocks I was at and what I was doing playing anything or running anything hardware intensive was impossible! but with the BETA EC throttling is completely gone I havent had one since the upgrade! I even see 3.6ghz on occasion and 3.7 too! But it you know of a better BIOS please tell me! so far I have tried this one: http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/1839-msi-g-series-unlocked-bios.html and this one: MSI GT70 Unlocked BIOS (latest 10M, non-RAID) - Page 2

Both gave me nasty throttles just like the stock BIOS and the ones downloaded from MSI.

i think the latest official bios update fixed the throttling if you do not mind losing your unlock Ed state in bios

@buluunee sorry i'm no BIOS expert what do you mean by unlocked ED state? are there any advantages to having the official BIOS? Will it increase my performance GPU and CPU wise if I upgrade? thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi All,

I am running a 680M in an Alienware M17 R3. I have SVL7s unlocked vbios on there, but am currently not overclocking the GPU as so far it has proven powerful enough for my gaming needs. I have HWino and MSI Afterburner launching on startup to monitor performance and temps. Last night when playing Planetside 2 and Borderlands 2 the GPU was constantly trottling. The core clock never dropped below the default maximum of 758Mhz but the GPU usage/load would drop as low as 30%, constantly adjusting itself back up to 99%, up/down, up/down.....all the time. Is this know as throttling if the core clock never drops?

I checked for unwanted programs running in the background, restarted games, un checked Vsync options to try and force the GPU to full load at all times but it still throttled alot. Nothing to my knowledge on my system has changed since it functioned properly. Any ideas what might cause this?

My GPU temperature in both games sits around 65 – 72C. It can’t be brought on by thermal throttling at these temperature could it?

I ran 3D mark 11 when it was throttling but my score was normal 6120, and Afterburner graphed the GPU usage at 99% during all GPU tests. Strange!!!!

Any help much appreciate guys. Thanks.

I had the exact same issue nothing fixed it except the BIOS I think it is a BIOS issue try downloading the latest one from Dell and see if that helps because I was also throttling like mad until I got the modded BIOS that I have.

@Vlad if i not mistaken you mentioned that you are using modded bios which are 10m non raid right? since your not bios pro whom does not mess with bios then you have no benefit from unlocked bios just go for the latest msi bios because there are numbers of report than latest bios update had fixed the throttling and also if it does not help you at all reverse it. btw latest ec is proper with official bios also fan related issues has been fixed with ec update so lower temps than beta ec however best performance is with latest ec update + bios. if this combo does not work for you then you can go back so its worth to try out

@buluunee well the BIOS/EC I have is in my sig it isn't unlocked it is from MSI its just an employee messed with the BIOS and tried to supress throttling. I wish it was unlocked because I do mess with the TDP and core multipliers I'm just not very good at differentiating the different BIOS versions and what the add. I will go ahead and try the latest MSI EC and see if it boosts scores and then report back!

Well I just updated to the newest MSI BIOS right from the GT70 0NE page using a DOS driver and ran up some benches again! and whadaya know MUCH BETTER! especially in the CPU area take a look:

old BIOS: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3740QM Processor,Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-1762 score: P7632 3DMarks

new BIOS: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3740QM Processor,Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-1762 score: P7718 3DMarks

the overall score isn't THAT much higher but it is significant as the GPU score didn't change much however there was a gain of a few fps here and there. the biggest difference though was the CPU score which with the new BIOS leaped up over 100 points! thanks @buluunee

Hi all, I was referred to this thread after doing some research on my computer. I recently just purchased a sager np9150 and was wanting to overclock the graphics card (gtx 675mx). From the research I have gathered and the software I've ran so far on my laptop, I would need to have the current vbios on graphics card flashed in order to overclock it past whatever limits have been imposed on the card.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5948[/ATTACH]

This is the current information on my card. According to hwinfo, my machine is running a clevo based p15xEMx mobo, with an american trends bios ver. of 4.6.5. I was wanting to know if it's possible to flash this card, or is it completely locked down? From what I've read, this model of computer is a pain in the ass to overclock (due to vbios and mobo lockdown?) but if there is a chance someone could give me more info, or refer me to a place where I could get some help it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

So I just got the GT60 0ne-403us a few days ago, I did the beta EC flash (T17 version) to help with the random large framerate dips I was getting in games. It helped a lot and fixed that problem.. My question is, for my model laptop and the 680m, which vbios should I use, I would like to stay at stock voltage for now, I see svl7 just added a file MSI 680m - 80.04.33.00.24_'OCedition'_revised_02 - OV 1000v.zip, is that the one I should use? I was hoping to get +300/+500 with stock voltage if possible. I just want to make sure I'm picking the right file before flashing this thing.

Sorry MrValle for I meant to say that it is good to meet you here and thank you for posting in response to my issue. It is always easier to find solutions with more help.

I tell a lie, I did flash the other vbios, immediately tested the GPU with 3D Mark 11 and got a lower score on the new vbios. I ran the benchmark a couple of times just to make certain the results were coming out the same, and found that my score dropped by approximately 90 points with the new vbios. I immediately reverted back to the older vbios and left it well alone.

The fact that you have performed a clean install of windows and the throttling issue still remains, cancels the possibility of software incompatibilities or software updating causing the issue. Thanks for letting me know I won’t roll my system back now.

How long has your GPU been experiencing throttling? Are you only getting throttling in some games and not others?

Nice to meet you as well.

This throttling problem i have noticed in games as Borderlands 2, serious sam 3 bfe (or whatever its called, didnt play it more than a few minutes when i noticed the throttling), and also Crysis 3 MP beta. Lastly i can say that i even got this throttling in Entropia Universe which is also a crytek engine based game but the weird thing is i got the throttling in Entropia Universe during christmas when i was at my parents place. Now i simply cannot replicate the throttling in Entropia Universe but on the other hand i get throttling on the other 3 games all the time.

EDIT:

When i sometimes boot up the computer and windows plays its melody it can hang and sound messed up for a brief moment, and sometimes the melody plays in slow choppy motion. I can also get it sometimes when i play a video or a game when everything just locks up and the current sound played stretches out for the duration of the lockup which is about 3-4 seconds. And on som very rare occasions the computer can freeze and i have to do a hard reset.

Might be my GPU/MOBO or something else starting to give up on me. Or maybe GPU isnt getting enough juice maybe a power related issue.

@Vlad Fomitchev & Sirana – Thanks guys for your help and support.

Last night I got in about an hour and a half of gaming and this how I got on.

I had HWinfo and MSI Afterburner set to launch at Startup, the first thing I did was to close both programs. I then downloaded Nvidia Inspector (as recommended by some members in the forum, thanks guys), first time I’ve used it and I really like it. It has a nice interface and could be described as GPUZ and Afterburner all in one. I used this as my new GPU monitoring tool.

I then launched Planetside 2 throught Steam and began gaming. I run FRAPS to keep an eye on frame rates and for ten minutes my Frame rate stayed in the high 40s and no throttling was present. I then decided to up the anti and push the GPU a little harder so I OC the core to 858 and proceeded to game in PS2 for another 40 minutes. No trottling at all. NInspector graphed the GPU at a constant usage at 70 – 99%, just as I would expect in PS2. I then decided to run Borderlands 2 and gamed for about 30 minutes and no trottling, with my frame rate at an almost constant 60.

I may have cried wolf a little too early, but I was definitely experiencing trottling on both game titles yesterday. Hopefully it may have been as I expected a Steam update or windows update in the background.

@MrValle. I checked my system details and I am running SVL7’s modified vbios 80.04.33.00.32 and driver version 310.90. Thanks to the guys at Laptopvideo2go, I download my Nvidia drivers from there, so I recommend giving that a go. I backed up my GPUs original firmware so if you want I can give you the unmodified vbios if you would like to try that, just let me know. My 680M is a the 2Gig Dell version. I really do hope you get your GPU running OK. Any help at all you need just keep posting here or PM me, and I will try my best to offer support.

Over the next few days, if I get a chance to do some more gaming, I will post any issues I may have.

@those with throttling - Seems you guys figured it out for the biggest part, cool! I haven't experienced throttling with my vbios mod when gaming, no issues so far... though I have to say that I mostly played Blops2 recently and not many other games. The easiest way to rule out the vbios is to run the same thing with the stock vbios flashed. I'm confident that with the current mods, the cause doesn't lie in the vbios but somewhere else - EC, BIOS, drivers... background activity, or similar.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5948[/ATTACH]

This is the current information on my card. According to hwinfo, my machine is running a clevo based p15xEMx mobo, with an american trends bios ver. of 4.6.5. I was wanting to know if it's possible to flash this card, or is it completely locked down? From what I've read, this model of computer is a pain in the ass to overclock (due to vbios and mobo lockdown?) but if there is a chance someone could give me more info, or refer me to a place where I could get some help it would be appreciated.

Can't see the image you attached... I haven't uploaded a 675mx vbios mod so far, will do that soon.

So I just got the GT60 0ne-403us a few days ago, I did the beta EC flash (T17 version) to help with the random large framerate dips I was getting in games. It helped a lot and fixed that problem.. My question is, for my model laptop and the 680m, which vbios should I use, I would like to stay at stock voltage for now, I see svl7 just added a file MSI 680m - 80.04.33.00.24_'OCedition'_revised_02 - OV 1000v.zip, is that the one I should use? I was hoping to get +300/+500 with stock voltage if possible. I just want to make sure I'm picking the right file before flashing this thing.

First of all, +500 on the memory is a bad idea unless you only use it for benching. +300 on the core at stock most likely won't be stable, unless your card is a golden sample. With the 1.0v it should work.

@svl7 hey mate how is process on msi gtx 675mx im itching to kill my gpu hehe

Soon... :D

@svl7. I am currently running your modded 80.04.33.00.32 no OV bios. I did try the 80.04.5B.00.02 no OV bios and found that it dropped my 3D Mark 11 score by approximately 90 points. I immediately reverted back to the older bios but never gamed on the new bios to see how stable it was for me. You mentioned in one of your posts that it was recommended to run on the new bios as it was more stable. What are the main differences between the Old and New bios?

Its was in one of your posts you mentioned Nvidia Inspector, I just started using that and I'm well impressed, it is a great software tool for the 680, so thanks for the heads up.

@Vlad Fomitchev & Sirana – Thanks guys for your help and support.

Last night I got in about an hour and a half of gaming and this how I got on.

I had HWinfo and MSI Afterburner set to launch at Startup, the first thing I did was to close both programs. I then downloaded Nvidia Inspector (as recommended by some members in the forum, thanks guys), first time I’ve used it and I really like it. It has a nice interface and could be described as GPUZ and Afterburner all in one. I used this as my new GPU monitoring tool.

I then launched Planetside 2 throught Steam and began gaming. I run FRAPS to keep an eye on frame rates and for ten minutes my Frame rate stayed in the high 40s and no throttling was present. I then decided to up the anti and push the GPU a little harder so I OC the core to 858 and proceeded to game in PS2 for another 40 minutes. No trottling at all. NInspector graphed the GPU at a constant usage at 70 – 99%, just as I would expect in PS2. I then decided to run Borderlands 2 and gamed for about 30 minutes and no trottling, with my frame rate at an almost constant 60.

I may have cried wolf a little too early, but I was definitely experiencing trottling on both game titles yesterday. Hopefully it may have been as I expected a Steam update or windows update in the background.

@MrValle. I checked my system details and I am running SVL7’s modified vbios 80.04.33.00.32 and driver version 310.90. Thanks to the guys at Laptopvideo2go, I download my Nvidia drivers from there, so I recommend giving that a go. I backed up my GPUs original firmware so if you want I can give you the unmodified vbios if you would like to try that, just let me know. My 680M is a the 2Gig Dell version. I really do hope you get your GPU running OK. Any help at all you need just keep posting here or PM me, and I will try my best to offer support.

Over the next few days, if I get a chance to do some more gaming, I will post any issues I may have.

Maybe it is my monitoring programs that is the issue then. I always have Afterburner running with the accompanied OSD. I will try to uninstall that and use this Nvidia Inspector.

@MrValle.

Hopefully that will restore your system to proper working order, but sadly I suspect not as I've ran Afterburner with the 680 and had no issues. If my GPU continued to throttle my next step was to revert to the default vbios. I don't have access to it at the moment but if you need the default bios let me know and I will upload it for you. Is your 680 throttling in all games you play? I noticed all the titles you mentioned are Online Multi Player Titles, try playing a game totally Offline and see if throttling occurs.

Edit:

I will run Afterburner and HWinfo again on my system tonight to see if throttling returns and post the feed back tomorrow.

@MrValle.

Hopefully that will restore your system to proper working order, but sadly I suspect not as I've ran Afterburner with the 680 and had no issues. If my GPU continued to throttle my next step was to revert to the default vbios. I don't have access to it at the moment but if you need the default bios let me know and I will upload it for you. Is your 680 throttling in all games you play? I noticed all the titles you mentioned are Online Multi Player Titles, try playing a game totally Offline and see if throttling occurs.

Edit:

I will run Afterburner and HWinfo again on my system tonight to see if throttling returns and post the feed back tomorrow.

Back on stock vBios i got throttling in all benchmark programs. And i couldnt overclock a single mhz. But not sure if i got throttling in games though. I want the overclock option since i have shotcut keys for stock profile and another one when i need a little bit extra power (very mild oc).

These modified vBioses from SVL worked like a charm for a long time, i can even run benchmark programs with them. It was all of a sudden i noticed throttling only in the 3 mentioned games (BL2,Serious Sam3,Crysis 3 MP BETA) so i wonder what might have happened there. I get throttling while playing those games offline also (except crysis 3 which is not playable offline atm).

i am currently on

Dell 680m - 80.04.5B.00.02_'OCedition'_revised_00.zip

but will flash to

Dell 680m - 80.04.33.00.32__'OCedition'_revised_00.zip

again and try it out.

@MrValle.

If your GPU is throttling in 3D Mark 11 then it will throttle in modern games. My stock bios also didn't allow an OC to be applied. I think you are near a stage of needing to change out hardware as you have pretty much tried everything else. Try the latest Nvidia driver from Laptopdrivers2go.com.

Have you a spare GPU you can test the main system with? Ideally you would need a 100 Watt card to test it equally in relation to power draw. I had a 7970M go faulty in the same manner, except it deteriorated alot faster. It too started throttling and eventually wouldn't run 3D clocks, then died. Cards go faulty, Over Clocked or not. My advice would be to flash SVL7's modded bios and apply a decent Over Clock, 100 - 150 Mhz on the core. Uncheck any Vsync options in your games and drive the card hard. If it is dying you may as well kill it and get to a final conclusion if the GPU is faulty or not. Judging from other members applied OCs, 150 is mild, so Crank it up. :joyous:

Hi again ppl,

using the vbios Clevo 680m (80.04.33.00.10) 'OCedition' revised v01, I managed to only get stable OC with 938/2450, is it good?

Here are some benchs I made, are they normal?

OC(938/2450)

Heaven DX11 (default)

GPU Tempo:71ºC

Results: 97fps - 2445

3DMark11

GPU Tempo:66ºC

Results:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,CLEVO P15xEMx score: P7438 3DMarks

3DMark13

GPU Tempo:70ºC

Results:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,CLEVO P15xEMx

Thank you in advance,

Best Regards to all

Those temps look great. What temps are you getting in games?

Doing more pushing personally, and gaming has yeilded a max of 85C (without the fans in full boost - Clevo 170EM)... higher than i would like, but i know still within limits (clocks at 915/2150)...

@Can't see the image you attached... I haven't uploaded a 675mx vbios mod so far, will do that soon.

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry about that, still learning how to use the forums.

post-9853-14494994252668_thumb.jpg

Can you see it now? For some reason quick reply didn't upload the picture after i hit submit...

• Brian featured this topic