NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Hi ppl,

I've been using the vbios from this thread http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2062-using-your-4gb-gtx-680m-its-safest-full-potential.html, on my GTX 680M, and so far I managed to get 960/2400 stable clocks :)

But after seeing this thread has much more up to date vbios, do you advise to change mine? If yes, to which one?

Thank you ppl,

Best Regards to all

Hi ppl,

I've been using the vbios from this thread http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2062-using-your-4gb-gtx-680m-its-safest-full-potential.html, on my GTX 680M, and so far I managed to get 960/2400 stable clocks :)

But after seeing this thread has much more up to date vbios, do you advise to change mine? If yes, to which one?

Thank you ppl,

Best Regards to all

The only real difference that I am aware of are that the BIOS's in this thread have higher voltage options. The one you are running is 1.0V, while the ones here go up to 1.05V. If you have the thermal and power headroom, then there's nothing wrong with the higher voltage. If your temps currently get over 85C, I would stay with your current BIOS, if they're under, then you should be OK temperature wise to go with more voltage. I think 680m's throttle at 96C or so.

The only hard part is figuring out if you'll blow out your motherboard or not. I haven't heard of anyone doing that when overclocking a 680m, but it's possible. A struggling power brick will put more strain on the motherboard's power regulation. Some laptops like m18x's have plenty of power headroom, but others have less. If you have a 180W PSU or weaker, I advise that you do not exceed your current 1V. Someone once posted a 680m laptop at 1.0V at 980MHz with only a 3610qm pulling 190W from the wall. If you've seen someone else with your same laptop handling the higher power draw, then you should be OK.

I believe your current BIOS will put out a higher 1.025V if you set exactly 915MHz base clock with 65mhz boost clock, giving you 980MHz at 1.025V. You can try that if you wanna test out how your system handles more voltage first before flashing.

Nice memory overclock BTW. I think most people can only do around 2200.

I recently purchased a GTX 680m 4GB for my Clevo X7200. I'm using the revised OC version for Clevo running at 1000/1100. So far so good. I plan on trying out the other Vbios to see how they do. Great job with the Vbios. Thank you!

Hi ppl,

Depends on your card and system.

The only real difference that I am aware of are that the BIOS's in this thread have higher voltage options. The one you are running is 1.0V, while the ones here go up to 1.05V.

The versions here are all based on OEM vbios, some of them are heavily revised compared to the other one posted in the thread mentioned above. Each of the vbios here is superior to the older one, the only reason to use the old MSI vbios was to prevent throttling at higher clocks, but I solved that in all the current versions. There's no reason to use the old version, it doesn't perform as good as the latest vbios, especially in games.

Maybe your battery was damage during the overload. I have a PSU overload in Far Cry3, after the shutdown, i boot up my machine and saw that my battery was @85% (it was fully charged before the shutdown). I think that the overload put first my PSU in security, then the laptop drawn his 195W on the battery, and finally the battery goes in security mode causing the shutdown.

Fortunately it wasn't damage (but i don't use the max ov version like you).

Laptop battery are not made to power the machine at so high wattage.

Ok so today I decided to get to the bottom of what happened when my PSU tripped out. I went to the tech lab at my school and used the multimiter to check the voltages of my charging connectors by the battery and the battery itself. What I found is that the charging connectors were just fine ~11volts THANK GOD! no internal damage done... however the battery itself was oly showing ~1volt a little less... So this is bad I need a new battery and for safety a new PSU ( THANKS A MILLION! @omega939 I now know how and where to get a 240 watt PSU). I already called support at xoticpc and they told me to fill out an RMA request, I was also told that if the people at msi support decided it really is the battery that I could send just that in and get a free replacement! :Banane24:.

The only real difference that I am aware of are that the BIOS's in this thread have higher voltage options. The one you are running is 1.0V, while the ones here go up to 1.05V. If you have the thermal and power headroom, then there's nothing wrong with the higher voltage. If your temps currently get over 85C, I would stay with your current BIOS, if they're under, then you should be OK temperature wise to go with more voltage. I think 680m's throttle at 96C or so.

The only hard part is figuring out if you'll blow out your motherboard or not. I haven't heard of anyone doing that when overclocking a 680m, but it's possible. A struggling power brick will put more strain on the motherboard's power regulation. Some laptops like m18x's have plenty of power headroom, but others have less. If you have a 180W PSU or weaker, I advise that you do not exceed your current 1V. Someone once posted a 680m laptop at 1.0V at 980MHz with only a 3610qm pulling 190W from the wall. If you've seen someone else with your same laptop handling the higher power draw, then you should be OK.

I believe your current BIOS will put out a higher 1.025V if you set exactly 915MHz base clock with 65mhz boost clock, giving you 980MHz at 1.025V. You can try that if you wanna test out how your system handles more voltage first before flashing.

Nice memory overclock BTW. I think most people can only do around 2200.

Depends on your card and system.

The versions here are all based on OEM vbios, some of them are heavily revised compared to the other one posted in the thread mentioned above. Each of the vbios here is superior to the older one, the only reason to use the old MSI vbios was to prevent throttling at higher clocks, but I solved that in all the current versions. There's no reason to use the old version, it doesn't perform as good as the latest vbios, especially in games.

Thanks ppl for your feedback :D

I flashed the Clevo 680m (80.04.33.00.10) 'OCedition' revised v01, from the OP, and so far so good :D I'm managing to work with 958/2400 clocks so far, but I'm afraid they are not stable enough, do you advise other clocks?

Thank you,

Best Regards to all

I dont know what your PSU is rated but if it is over 180 watts you are fine. Because I just downloaded the crysis 3 beta which manages at LEAST 99% load on my GPU I can't overclock at all on my 180 watt the computer cutts out immediately. it depends how demanding the game is because something like nexuiz 2012 runs fine at 1006mhz core and 2400 memory. crysis on the other hand crahses the computer so it really depends on the game.

dont know what your PSU is rated but if it is over 180 watts you are fine. Because I just downloaded the crysis 3 beta which manages at LEAST 99% load on my GPU I can't overclock at all on my 180 watt the computer cutts out immediately

@Vlad

Hmm.. I havent downloaded crysis 3.. Although i am using right now the rev 2 OV 1025volts of svl7 and played games like, bf3,fc3,crysis2 running fine though...

Tell me the results when you get your 240 watts adapter. Can post in my thread if you want to. tnx

Thanks ppl for your feedback :D

I flashed the Clevo 680m (80.04.33.00.10) 'OCedition' revised v01, from the OP, and so far so good :D I'm managing to work with 958/2400 clocks so far, but I'm afraid they are not stable enough, do you advise other clocks?

Thank you,

Best Regards to all

Hi again ppl,

Finally found my stable clocks at stock voltage: 936/2400, after hours of testing and playing, the GPU doesn't crash and seems very stable in games + low temps :D

Thanks ppl,

Best Regards to all

@Vlad

Hmm.. I havent downloaded crysis 3.. Although i am using right now the rev 2 OV 1025volts of svl7 and played games like, bf3,fc3,crysis2 running fine though...

Tell me the results when you get your 240 watts adapter. Can post in my thread if you want to. tnx

is that bios compatible with clevo hm barebones?

Msi 80.04.33.00.24 are Hm compatible.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

And vice versa? So far the stable vbios and showing good results to me is the MSI OV-1025v rev2. I've tested the OV - 1.0V and the non-OV (tweaked timings) but you have to lower the clocks to make the desired speeds stable... BTW if I use the HM versions for MSI, then will the EC still auto detect the temps for the fan to speed up?

I'm just curious.... How high can an intel 3610M processor reach scores in 3dmark 11? 8k?

@Vlad

Ya ill absolutely make sure to post the PSU results when I get it because as of now my PSU trips several times a day while trying to get playable framerates in crysis 3 so i definitely need it XD

Ya ill absolutely make sure to post the PSU results when I get it because as of now my PSU trips several times a day while trying to get playable framerates in crysis 3 so i definitely need it XD

When you done with the mod of the 240 watts adapter. can you show the pics you soldered with the new end plug for your nb? tnx

Cant wait to get a dell 240 watts adaptor too...

Ya i'll definitely do that it might be a few weeks though as I'm in school and don't have an actual job so it might take me a while to get the stuff but I think ill buy it sometime next week if I get the money. I'll take pictures of the soldering for sure as it is kinda risky so I would want to help anyone else in their attempt XD.

- - - Updated - - -

@svl

I'm curious svl what are the highest clocks you managed to push off of a 680m? someone posted 1100mhz core and 2500 memory is it possible to go higher!? what is the limit for this ridiculous GPU?

I'm curious svl what are the highest clocks you managed to push off of a 680m? someone posted 1100mhz core and 2500 memory is it possible to go higher!? what is the limit for this ridiculous GPU?

Just do your project first (dell 240 wattsmod) before you ask svl7 lol

I also played the crysis 3 open beta on high settings throughout and hit 94 C (with turbo fans), modified a few settings lower and overclocked +200/400 and still hit 94C. Msi vbios OC Svl7 revision 1. will flash to the second revision. game looks great but my card does run a bit hot. Thanks so much svl7! itll be nice to have lower temps with the right voltage for the base OC version rev 2

edit: yup, with the second revision OC version msi the 680m runs 3 C cooler than the first revision. awesome catch and fix! thanks again

I thought this might be fun for all of my fellow 680M lovers :)

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQhee0gSVkQ?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQhee0gSVkQ?hl=en_US&version=3&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

• Brian featured this topic