NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

svl7, question: how hard would it be to modify the NVIDIA protection mechanism of 90C to 91 or 92C for the Clevo BIOS? Reason I ask is the Clevo's kick in maximum fans at 91 degrees or so (actually there might be yet another step at 93C), and that means that often the NVIDIA throttling kicks in before the fans are at max. :/ Doing this would increase the performance potential in Celvo machines which are running near top temperature range (they are not as well designed cooling wise as the alienware's this time around)

PS: Running Clevo 1.05V bios now, @1012/2260MHz stable, 3Dmark scores 7600 region. (yes my vram can't be overclocked too much, not sure why, just run of the luck it seems)

@Clyde : I have only a 180w psu and i have to contain the power of the beast, so a Msi vbios with 0.987v will be welcome ... Msi ov 1.000v or 1.012v are stable but could in certain case overload a 180W psu. I know that you mod your PSU to bypass this limit, i am not able to do so.

Yeah, I am feeling like pushing my PSU to its limit. Seeing my physic score in 3dmark11 is at like 7000 when overclocked and about 7600 at stock.

I think I can bear with my PSU since I haven't had any sudden shutdown when playing games. In fact I never tried to run Kombustor or that GPU killer Furmark.

Still waiting to mod the Dell 240W PSU when I have the time :)

I think a vbios that came before this revised vbios by svl7 had 0.987V but it only allowed us to overclock it up to +345MHz and had only 720MHz stock clock.

By the way love the new TechInferno forum interface :D

Device ID change is easy, but I'm under the impression that you only need to mod the driver to achieve what you want.

Yes thats right! But given the fact driver updates are getting released regularly I think modding device id is more convenient - a one time job. Anyway, u dont even need to flash the modded bios!! You only have to set the Chameleon bootloader to load the modded dev-id bios at boot time.

Maybe you can do this mod and let me try?

Thanx in advance

svl7, question: how hard would it be to modify the NVIDIA protection mechanism of 90C to 91 or 92C for the Clevo BIOS? Reason I ask is the Clevo's kick in maximum fans at 91 degrees or so (actually there might be yet another step at 93C), and that means that often the NVIDIA throttling kicks in before the fans are at max. :/

Currently I'm not sure how to achieve this, also it's generally not a good idea. I have an old M15x and my card only hits about 70°C when overclocked and slightly overvolted... I can only advice on modifying the heatsink for more pressure on the die, or manipulating the EC to get a higher fan speed. Contact your vendor and ask for a bios with higher fan speed settings as the current one is obviously flawed.

Yes thats right! But given the fact driver updates are getting released regularly I think modding device id is more convenient - a one time job. Anyway, u dont even need to flash the modded bios!! You only have to set the Chameleon bootloader to load the modded dev-id bios at boot time.

Well usually you can use the same modified file for a long time, even with updated drivers. But you can try a modified version if you want. Do you want the stock MSI vbios modified or the tweaked one?

Currently I'm not sure how to achieve this, also it's generally not a good idea. I have an old M15x and my card only hits about 70°C when overclocked and slightly overvolted... I can only advice on modifying the heatsink for more pressure on the die, or manipulating the EC to get a higher fan speed. Contact your vendor and ask for a bios with higher fan speed settings as the current one is obviously flawed.

Yes, already improved the pressure on the die, and the air flow, you should see how bad it was originally. Ok, I might bug my vendor for a modded EC, but I doubt they will do anything ;)

The problem is that you don't really solve the issue by changing the throttling point to an even higher temp - your fan will kick in, true, but then it will cool down to a more reasonable temp and the fan will slow down again, which in turn makes the temp go up once more... you see, the problem lies at the fan control.

90°C is too hot for such a GPU, poor cooling system and / or firmware design.

@Tonrac I don't think if that's a bug in the svl7's recent vbios that it has 1.012V 3d voltage.

If I recall correctly my stock factory vbios also has 1.012V 3d voltage ( MSI barebone ).

I think svl7 just unlocked the slider to max it out to +405MHz.

So far I am stable at 1100/2500 in games and an increment of 10MHz of that in core in 3dmark11 :D

MSI card should only be flashed with MSI vbios, is that right ?

That is a sweet oc, which bios are you using/voltage?

And have you run heaven for a while or just threw some games on?

Again sweet of I seem to max at 967mhz with 1.025v at load and a shade over 1000mhz at 1.037v at load/the bios which gives 1.050.

- - - Updated - - -

@bn880 it's weird that you have to use an ov 1.05v vbios to reach only 1012Mhz core, did you try the 1.000v ov msi vbios? This -0.05v will help you, run your card cooler.

If you see my post above, I have a similar oc result. Which is a shame because my m18x keeps it under or just at 60c in summer and around 50c this time of year.

Cooling is good GPU is nice but not a monster over locker it is a clevo 4gb 680m

Open to any suggestions to improve my oc. For instance have the vbios on here been updated with any tweaks within the past 2/3 months?

Do you guys see running the 1.05v bios full time as safe or dangerous?

My core temps are at most 64c in the summer , I remember that there were issues reported with overvolting the 580m and do not know if that is an issue with this card (I am assuming it has to do with the vrm temps).

And yes once the prices drop near the release of the 780m I will pick up a second 680m :-)

@Tonrac; no I have not tried the MSI 1.00v, I'm guessing though I will get pretty much the same result. I'll try it sometime though out of interest, doesn't cost much effort. :)

@supermi; I hope it's safe, its staying on my card unless I find the MSI one helps. The nice thing with the NVIDIA cards is they keep down clocking themselves when not needed, and have the protection at 90C. Also since .987 vs 1.05 isn't a gigantic difference, should be fine.

@Tonrac; no I have not tried the MSI 1.00v, I'm guessing though I will get pretty much the same result. I'll try it sometime though out of interest, doesn't cost much effort. :)

@supermi; I hope it's safe, its staying on my card unless I find the MSI one helps. The nice thing with the NVIDIA cards is they keep down clocking themselves when not needed, and have the protection at 90C. Also since .987 vs 1.05 isn't a gigantic difference, should be fine.

Do let us know if that 1.00v bios helps. I would agree not likely unless you are having temp issues.

Coming from a desktop overclocking backround I would agree very little added voltage ... but these vrm's are puny and not actively cooled. I remembered reading of people with 580m's killing their cards with a very small increase in voltage, I assumed it was the power circuitry.

I might join you at 1.05v again as I am maxing out at 967mhz with 1.025v ... gosh people getting 1100mhz at less voltage is envious!!!

Luckily I have my 4 way sli 680 classifieds which will all do over 1400mhz at decent voltage to make me smile, still would like my 680m to hit 1100mhz ;)

@bn880: without my modded backplate but with a notebookcooler, i have reached a max 89°C with the ov1.000v playing crysis 2 during hours, without FN +1, and without throttling of the card.

with modded backplate 82°C.

@supermi: 1100core /2500 memory is a very extreme OC ... i am pretty lucky with my 1006/2400 OC at 1.0v.

@Clyde: Stock K5000m should be 0.987v. Do you have a version which is 1.012V stock?

Hi svl7,

Here is: http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2221-quadro-card-gaming.html#post30038

@Tonrac,

Slightly higher voltage does not really matter for temperature and power consumption and for 99% of the components are designed for higher voltage and operate more stably. The whole art to aptly select the voltage, frequency and load to the technical capabilities of our laptops and our skills.

k5000m.jpg

I tried the MSI 1.025v (which should be more stable than 1.0v) and I couldn't maintain 1012MHz for more than 10 seconds. :) So it doesn't help at all. I need 1.05V to be stable. Now at 1026MHz and rock solid, still have to find the limit at 1.05V for the GPU core (Vram is always solid at 455 to 460, but slightly unstable at 465, no matter what voltage or temp)

It does indeed matter that the Clevo card is 4GB, it is having to regulate, supply and cool that many more memory chips, which increases temperature and instability quite a bit as it's running basically the same regulators, caps etc. as the 2GB version.

Now I'm on a mission to mod the EC fan tables myself. Unfortunately when clevo edited the fan tables there were still huge amounts of changes in the rom file. So it's hard to locate the exact addresses of the values. They also seem to have relocated the fan speed reporting in the EC VRAM region at the same time. (It's at D2h now)

@bn880: without my modded backplate but with a notebookcooler, i have reached a max 89°C with the ov1.000v playing crysis 2 during hours, without FN +1, and without throttling of the card.

with modded backplate 82°C.

@supermi: 1100core /2500 memory is a very extreme OC ... i am pretty lucky with my 1006/2400 OC at 1.0v.

Yeah you are lucky. For me my 680m 4gb only got stable at 993/2500 using 1.05v. I can go up to 1006/2500 but only stable for 3dmark11 and about 1 hour of crysis 2 after that it crash. Maybe because im running in SLI or i got unlucky card.. but anyway big thanks to svl even at 993/2500 i very satisfied with it performance. My temp at full load max at 77c (when temp reach 74c gpu fan kick at 100% and thats good for me and thanks to alienware) running in m18x with ic diamond 7.

Well usually you can use the same modified file for a long time, even with updated drivers. But you can try a modified version if you want. Do you want the stock MSI vbios modified or the tweaked one?

Thanks! The tweaked would be just fine for experimenting. PLease change dev-id to 11a2 or 11a3.

Well it seems that there are more of us who need the 1.05v to get about 1000mhz, at least the company makes me feel better LOL ...

Well an extra 100mhz would be nice!!! but I am pretty happy with the performance I have ...

well if any one gets bored with their EXTREME clocking 680m esp 4gb and either wants to sell it to move on to new challenges or ;) trade it for the challange of overclocking a lesser overclocker like mine, let me know!!! I game in 3d and more power is more fps and more FUN!!!! hahaha I will be happy to get sli on this bad boy YAY~~~~

Hey @svl7 I just want to thank you for all your work, spending time for our benefits.

I'm having a problem with overclocking in SLI. It seems that my max clocks aren't the same between the 2 cards and I'm wondering if maybe the VBIOS is specific for Master and Slave GPU's. I'm using the 1.050V Clevo VBIOS and getting this:

snipefortechinfernobioshelp_zps32818971.png

I uploaded the two different BIOS' could you mod them each for this 1.050V and OC? It's alright if you don't want to mess around for me but if you do I'm willing to make a donation for your time. Thanks however.

BIOS' here under GPU1 and GPU2: http://rapidshare.com/files/1892850379/SLI%20VBIOS'.rar

Is anyone else using SLI and getting the same thing? Is it actually a problem or is my different max clocks supposed to be like that? Any input would be great.

Have you flashed the two card like SVL7 show in their guide?

"SLI users will need to flash each card separately. The concept stays the same, but you will need to use the corresponding adapter index to flash a card. How to figure out the adapter nr. is described above.

Flashing goes like this: Code:

nvflash -i[index] -6 vbios.rom</pre>

[index] represents a number, namely the index you found with the 'nvflash -a' command. So a command example to flash a card which has index 0 is: 'nvflash -i0 -6 vbios.rom'

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/2166-%5Bguide%5D-nvidia-vbios-flashing.html

There's no master / slave vbios. Make sure you properly flashed both cards. I never had a dual card system, not sure whether it occurs that one card clocks lower. Maybe @Brian can give some insights.

• Founder

As long a both cards are flashed correctly, they will scale to the same maximum overclock. I have two Clevo 680M in my Alienware and they scale to max just fine. However, sometimes the secondary card will not clock to max if the game doesn't have a proper SLI profile or it doesn't utilize the cards fully. So test it in a modern title like Battlefield 3 to make sure.

• Thumbs Up 2

As long a both cards are flashed correctly, they will scale to the same maximum overclock. I have two Clevo 680M in my Alienware and they scale to max just fine. However, sometimes the secondary card will not clock to max if the game doesn't have a proper SLI profile or it doesn't utilize the cards fully. So test it in a modern title like Battlefield 3 to make sure.

It would appear that you are quite correct. I just tried running Crysis 2 at maximum settings, with DX11 and high-res textures and voila. Both cards running at the same speed in 99% perfect unison :)

Thank you both for helping a noob I really appreciate it.

• Brian featured this topic