NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

so for NB user with 180psu especially with msi gt series nb... What are the symptoms or signs that your psu cant handle the power being drained by the gtx680m with an OV vbios from 1v to 1.05v? What can you guys suggest if some of us wants to upgrade our 180watts to a much higher wattage like 220watts psu/adapter? Given the fact that we have modded the backplate plus sufficent cooling for our NB? thanks

Yes it's SLI cable issue. If fix 2nd port of sli bridge with a finger in one position there is no green artifacts in fullscreen 3D and in some position of a cable appear red or violet stripes. But unforunately cable is damaged - it's impossible to fix it under keyboard to make it work. So i guess i have to buy new sli cable somewhere.
If your machine is still under warranty, just get it replaced under warranty. They will send you one right away once you describe the problem.

If the warranty has expired, you can buy one here: GDMRG | Alienware M18x Nvidia SLI for Dual Graphics Cables

@kolias: Thanks for the rep ...Like i say, only some games will overload your PSU. I have finished Crysis 2, from start to end, and i have only recorded one peak of 185W (it is just a peak so it cannot damage the PSU).

In exterior, Far Cry 3 doesn't consume more than 182W, but in the Lost Expedition level, the Gpu comsuption goes to a high 194-200W. I know that your CPU is rated at 55W vs 45w for mine, but i use a custom P150HM Bios, made by Prema, that put the MAX cpu TDP to 70W, in that condition my 2860qm stay a lot longer at his max turbo frequencies (3dmark physics score of 8100 vs 7500 with the stock Bios).

Btw you must have a wattmeter, i think it's a safety measure when you OC with a 180W PSU. I don't know if the GTX680M will run cooler than your HD7970M, keep in mind that OC to 1 Ghz core push the cooler system of our laptop in their limit, but it seem that you have already taken this parameter in consideration (notebook cooler + modded backplate). Making the gpu comsuption goes down is quite simple, you have to lower the frequencies of your card.

so for NB user with 180psu especially with msi gt series nb... What are the symptoms or signs that your psu cant handle the power being drained by the gtx680m with an OV vbios from 1v to 1.05v? What can you guys suggest if some of us wants to upgrade our 180watts to a much higher wattage like 220watts psu/adapter? Given the fact that we have modded the backplate plus sufficent cooling for our NB? thanks

I don't have a msi laptop, but with the P150HM, the symptoms are quite simple, the PSU become very very hot, and when it cannot support this stress anymore, the laptop shutdown brutaly.

For a Psu with higher wattage, i haven't found yet a psu higher than 180W with the correct adapter, i think that you will have the same problem with your Msi. Some advanced users have modified a 220-240w psu in order to put a compatible adapter, but it could be dangerous if you don't know how to do that (risk of damaging your laptop or risk of fire).

I hope that SVL7 can fix the Bug on the MSI 80.04.33.00.24 OC edition (without Ov), to have a 3d voltage of 0.987v, it could be a good compromise between clevo .29 vbios and msi .33 ov 1v.

@kolias: Thanks for the rep ...Like i say, only some games will overload your PSU. I have finished Crysis 2, from start to end, and i have only recorded one peak of 185W (it is just a peak so it cannot damage the PSU).

In exterior, Far Cry 3 doesn't consume more than 182W, but in the Lost Expedition level, the Gpu comsuption goes to a high 194-200W. I know that your CPU is rated at 55W vs 45w for mine, but i use a custom P150HM Bios, made by Prema, that put the MAX cpu TDP to 70W, in that condition my 2860qm stay a lot longer at his max turbo frequencies (3dmark physics score of 8100 vs 7500 with the stock Bios).

Btw you must have a wattmeter, i think it's a safety measure when you OC with a 180W PSU. I don't know if the GTX680M will run cooler than your HD7970M, keep in mind that OC to 1 Ghz core push the cooler system of our laptop in their limit, but it seem that you have already taken this parameter in consideration (notebook cooler + modded backplate). Making the gpu comsuption goes down is quite simple, you have to lower the frequencies of your card.

I don't have a msi laptop, but with the P150HM, the symptoms are quite simple, the PSU become very very hot, and when it cannot support this stress anymore, the laptop shutdown brutaly.

For a Psu with higher wattage, i haven't found yet a psu higher than 180W with the correct adapter, i think that you will have the same problem with your Msi. Some advanced users have modified a 220-240w psu in order to put a compatible adapter, but it could be dangerous if you don't know how to do that (risk of damaging your laptop or risk of fire).

I hope that SVL7 can fix the Bug on the MSI 80.04.33.00.24 OC edition (without Ov), to have a 3d voltage of 0.987v, it could be a good compromise between clevo .29 vbios and msi .33 ov 1v.

So the solution is bigger psu,maybe 230w-240w.My brother knows how to modify the psu with the right adapter,but i cant find any good deals for psu!

Did you find anything good?:lemo:

Hello guys, i bought a new MSI GT70 Notebook with GTX 680M and want to get the most of the graphic performance to play games in best quality, then i saw there are some vBios version which can increase the performance, so i need some help. (im new here and i flash the first time with this notebook so sry for my lack of knowledge)

- Which vBios is the right one for me if i want a stable overclocked but not overvolted bios for my gpu?

- do i have to update the "EC" or something else before i flash?

- Is there any risk to damage the hardware or any know issues that something dont work after flashing?

I use Windows 8 and use a external hd screen pluged into hdmi slot.

Here is a pic of my notebook specifications:

post-9240-14494994175968_thumb.jpg

Without flashing, you can safely OC to a max 854Mhz core (limit of your stock vbios) and 2200/2400 memory ... you need only an OC utility like MSI afterburner, with that software you can OC and check the stability and temperature of your card in game and benchmark.

For the time being, I can't advise you the MSI 80.04.33.00.24 oc edition vbios, because of a bug that put the 3d voltage at 1.012v versus 0.987v of your stock vbios.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe you can try the clevo 80.04.29.00.01 oc edition, it's stable at 954 Mhz core / 2400 Mhz Memory at 0.962v. But i don't know if it is compatible with your Msi.

thank you but i think there is a reason why the vbios files are divided in clevo, dell and msi... so i better dont do experiments ^^

@Tonrac I don't think if that's a bug in the svl7's recent vbios that it has 1.012V 3d voltage.

If I recall correctly my stock factory vbios also has 1.012V 3d voltage ( MSI barebone ).

I think svl7 just unlocked the slider to max it out to +405MHz.

So far I am stable at 1100/2500 in games and an increment of 10MHz of that in core in 3dmark11 :D

MSI card should only be flashed with MSI vbios, is that right ?

it's weird ! A stock factory voltage of 1.012v seem pretty high while the gt70 has only a 180W PSU ...

"MSI card should only be flashed with MSI vbios, is that right ?"

Don't know .. depend a lot of the Bios, my P150hm is compatible only with the Clevo 80.04.29.00.01 and all MSI vbios if i try other (like the clevo 80.04.67.00.10) my laptop won't boot anymore.

some incompatible vbios let you boot to restore a backup, other won't.

Hi there!

Remarkable job on modding bIOSes I must say.!

Q: Do you think one can mod the bios of an MSI 680m 4gb to another device ID? (ie change 11a0 to 11a2 or 11a3 for 675mx and 680mx respectively)?

Why would you want that? To trick a hackintosh into loading the drivers for a fully working QE/CI (3D accelereation). Apple supports 675mx and 680mx.

Thanx for reading...

• Brian featured this topic