NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Hey, we are all born as noobs, so no need for an apology. You won't be one for long if you hang out in a place like this, LOL.

There are several outstanding options. HWiNFO64 is great and so is ThrottleStop (thanks @Mumak and @unclewebb). MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision-X both have super monitoring and logging tools, and so does GPU-Z. The on-screen display (OSD) features of Afterburner and Precision-X are very good for active monitoring in-game/in-benchmark, but do not work with native 64-bit apps like 3DMark11. They work fantastic for Vantage and game benchmarks that are 32-bit and give you a real-time view of what is happening with core/memory clocks, temps, voltage and whatever else you have configured for OSD. Working in tandem with HWiNFO64, you can push both CPU and GPU information to OSD in either utility for real-time monitoring right on your screen. (Without HWiNFO64's RivaTuner plug-ins the OSD app in both utilities only feeds GPU information to the screen overlay.) A few older games and benchmarks (before DX10, e.g. 3DMark05/06) and legacy games are not compatible and will lock up your system or error-out while running OSD because it does not play nice with the older versions of DirectX/Direct3D.

You can see an example of what I am referring to with OSD by viewing many of the videos in my YouTube channel.

I am having the same issue like CooleRnax. Before the GPU test starts the voltage bumps up to 1.05 then falls down to 1.012 when FPS is getting recorded.

So far no heat increase since this is the same voltage as svl7 first revised vbios.

I am using Nvidiainspector to monitor the voltage by the way :)

For you guys that are asking about voltage drops, what CPU are you guys running? If you have an XM CPU that is overclocked with bumped up voltage and amps settings, you my might try lowering your CPU overclock. Under load, the CPU can draw enough power that your GPU is getting starved. Your AC adapter might not have enough output to overclock the daylights out of both processors. In 3DMark11 test #1 this problem becomes very apparent and you don't need an overclocked CPU to get excellent results in test #1. But, you need all the horsepower your CPU can muster to do well in the 3DMark11 Physics and Combined Tests.

Hello

I just flashed Dell 660m VBIOS Overclocking Edition for my M18x R2 and noticed Green cubes randomly showing up on screen random places and this happened on overclocked mode and in normal mode too, after green cubes show up screen goes black and in second comes up again with max brightness on screen. I did try to go slowly with overclocking I went to Base clock offset to +350mhz and memory clock offset to 250mhz when I noticed green cubes.

so should I flash original rom back again is this gonna fix this issue? cubes only show up when hirez graphics are rendered on screen.

thanks

For you guys that are asking about voltage drops, what CPU are you guys running? If you have an XM CPU that is overclocked with bumped up voltage and amps settings, you my might try lowering your CPU overclock. Under load, the CPU can draw enough power that your GPU is getting starved. Your AC adapter might not have enough output to overclock the daylights out of both processors. In 3DMark11 test #1 this problem becomes very apparent and you don't need an overclocked CPU to get excellent results in test #1. But, you need all the horsepower your CPU can muster to do well in the 3DMark11 Physics and Combined Tests.

I didn't OC my CPU, I have stock CPU

In terms of performance from when I tested, the 80.04.33.00.10 is better. Next is the 80.04.67.00.01 which I ran and was quite good for some time. The .29 was the only vBIOS that dropped in performance for me.

Are you sure that it was an actual increase in performance from the drivers themselves and not the clocks? 33 has working turbo boost for me and my card clocks up to 758mHz by default compared to the stock 719. If I drop the clocks to 719 it performs identically to version 29 which my card came with by default. I've yet to try 67 but I will and will post my results.

EDIT: Just flashed with 67 and it performs identically to the other two at 719mHz. Also, if someone would be able to answer as to what NVIDIA changed between the different driver versions(if anyone knows that is) that'd be fantastic.

Hello there guys! I just joined in in hope of getting some help and info.

I have the MSI GE60 (660m win 8 model). I really would like to see if anything can be done with regards to OCing my card. Currently if i use MSI afterburner i can do the normal 135 core offset, but it does not actually do anything. Even if i move the slider and apply it, it translates into no change in my active 3d clocks. If i was to adjust my vram speed though, it applies just fine. I am running the newest 310.90 drivers.

I tried following instructions on saving my bios with gpu-z but it errors out and doesnt save a file. Something about missing nvflash in my account\...\temp\\ yada yada. I went and tried to dump it in a bootable usb drive but it still wont save it, and when i tried flashing over the dell OC bios it wouldnt do it. It would ID my card but wont go through and wont error out either. I have reflashed my Radeon Desktop cards numerous times, but things are just not going anywhere here. Please Help!

Great job svl7 and thanks so much for your hard work!! I have an MSI GT60 0ne 403us and with your vbios I was able to get P8010. I will try the OV edition soon.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

what frequency you using to reach in 3dmark11 P8010? Mem and Core speed? tnx

The voltage drop is not an issue , it is a feature, it initializes the higher voltage for the transient from changing from lower state to an higher state to make sure of stability and once it runs for awhile it drops down to a lower voltage to continue steady state use of the clocks.

It is normal to drop voltage, core and memory clocks if the demand does not require use of the resources. That's not a feature if it is doing it even when it is not supposed to (i.e. under load).

Hello

I just flashed Dell 660m VBIOS Overclocking Edition for my M18x R2 and noticed Green cubes randomly showing up on screen random places and this happened on overclocked mode and in normal mode too, after green cubes show up screen goes black and in second comes up again with max brightness on screen. I did try to go slowly with overclocking I went to Base clock offset to +350mhz and memory clock offset to 250mhz when I noticed green cubes.

so should I flash original rom back again is this gonna fix this issue? cubes only show up when hirez graphics are rendered on screen.

thanks

You should lower your overclock, you're seeing artifacts, either your core or memory frequency is too high. Start with something like +150 core / + 100 mem and go up slowly, in like 20MHz steps, find your limits. Best to do core and memory separately, makes it easier to determine what causes it if artifacts start showing up.

Remember, your GPU is clocked at 835MHz default 3d clock, and up to something like 900+ boost, but everything else is a bonus, and not guaranteed to work, even though a lot of 660m overclock like champs.

hey guys and hey svl7

Iam currently trying to flash my 680M on my alienware m17 - r3

I used the Dell 680m (80.04.33.00.32) 'OCedition' revised v00

but then i got this subsystem error when flashing in windows. Do i really have wrong rom file or what is this about? its a nvidiga gtx 680M which i bought from ebay to replace my older 560M in my Alien m17-R3.

post-8983-14494994149601_thumb.png

THanks.

Yes i did as you said and now he next error popped up :-/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5735[/ATTACH]

Your board ID tells me that you don't use a Dell card, but instead a Clevo or MSI card. You need to flash the correct bios, else you will have serious issues (even though reversible in this case).

Whats the safe limit for overclocking here and can I use MSI Afterburner? like a +100 on GPU or?

Totally, even much more is safe, but unless you use a modified vbios you will be limited by +135MHz. Also keep in mind that I didn't modify the uefi part of the vbios, this means you can only use a modified vbios if you disable secure boot / fast boot and enable the legacy option roms.

Do you by any chance use a Clevo (4GB) card?

Totally, even much more is safe, but unless you use a modified vbios you will be limited by +135MHz. Also keep in mind that I didn't modify the uefi part of the vbios, this means you can only use a modified vbios if you disable secure boot / fast boot and enable the legacy option roms.

Wasnt working for me so just switched to this one :) not saying it doesnt work just I havent found the combination to make it work so I tried this out. Trying to hit the 11k+ results in 3dmark11 but I dont think thats happening

Wasnt working for me so just switched to this one :) not saying it doesnt work just I havent found the combination to make it work so I tried this out. Trying to hit the 11k+ results in 3dmark11 but I dont think thats happening

I'm not sure how exactly you set up your system at the moment, but the Dell vbios version "80.04.33.00.32" contains only a legacy vbios, no uefi capable drivers. You need to have secure boot / fast boot disabled and legacy option roms enabled in the bios, then it should work very well and should allow you easily to overclock by +200MHz on the core.

• Brian featured this topic