NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Thank you. Need to take a look at this when I find time. The pictures I have of my card don't show the voltage regulator well enough, can't read the part nr. Do you have the datasheet?

Stupid location of that resistor, hahaha.

I have to agree that the 106MHz BCLK is going to cause stability issues. That's too high and it affects stability of multiple aspects of the system. Any crashes, lockups or BSOD (or even lower benchmark scores) are very likely attributable to that. To find your highest stable GPU OC with 3DMark11 leave the CPU alone and let it run without any overclock. Once you determine your maximum stable GPU OC over several runs without issues, then you can start pushing the CPU to achieve your best possible 3DMark11 score. Go a little at a time with the CP

Thanks. I've left the bclk to 100fsb now. leaving the cpu at stock speeds with modded ec firmware. The NB is running fine now but while playing dx11 games highest temps reaches at 93degrees celcius... after 2 hrs of play is stable. I turned on the turbo mode on and ran it for several minutes but the screen froze. I just used the task manager to exit the game though.. I Think i must not turn on the turbo mode on while playing dx11 games as the gpu is reaching 93 degrees for sometime? But wait what are the symptoms of PSU of your NB (msi gt60 if your gpu is oc'ed with AB plus using a slight bump in bclk) if it cannot handle the power?

well, i skimmed through and see clyde did this awesome mod, but when i go to look to see it in action, i see nothing. am i missing something? point me to this mod in action. even with a stock vbios this mod should still show memory improvement.

• Founder
well, i skimmed through and see clyde did this awesome mod, but when i go to look to see it in action, i see nothing. am i missing something? point me to this mod in action. even with a stock vbios this mod should still show memory improvement.

http://forum.techinferno.com/showthread.php?p=35903

That has the photo, not sure if he put up test results yet.

Sent from my GT-N7000

you remember the guy in the clevo thread who had the x7200. DGDXGDG or something or the other. remember he did those super mods to his 580m's?

i was trying to find that thread.

bottom line..he did all that extra modding and it looked great and seem to be unstoppable...till an alienware came by and smacked that mod silly.

with his modded psu and cards.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/3dmv/3870295/3dmv/3404152

here goes some of his mods.

http://s1086.beta.photobucket.com/user/DGDXGDG/library/

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks. I've left the bclk to 100fsb now. leaving the cpu at stock speeds with modded ec firmware. The NB is running fine now but while playing dx11 games highest temps reaches at 93degrees celcius... after 2 hrs of play is stable. I turned on the turbo mode on and ran it for several minutes but the screen froze. I just used the task manager to exit the game though.. I Think i must not turn on the turbo mode on while playing dx11 games as the gpu is reaching 93 degrees for sometime? But wait what are the symptoms of PSU of your NB (msi gt60 if your gpu is oc'ed with AB plus using a slight bump in bclk) if it cannot handle the power?

I'd wager that there is still something else wrong with your notebook. 93C is a bit too high yet.....Perhaps your heatsink doesn't have enough contact pressure with the GPU or you don't have sufficient heatsink compound there. Those are the only 2 guesses I have regarding that unfortunately, without being there to look at it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Overvolted Clevo vbios versions added, check the second post.

MSI will follow.

Great! Quick feedback on the 1025 Clevo vbios:

Your ReadMe is wrong, it states it would be a .29 vbios :P

Other than that, no issues so far :D

Just did a 1006/2250 run and will continue to test more tomorrow.

But it feels like 980/2400 is my new stable gaming OC :)

Thank you so much and happy new year!

Perhaps your heatsink doesn't have enough contact pressure with the GPU or you don't have sufficient heatsink compound there. Those are the only 2 guesses I have regarding that unfortunately, without being there to look at it

Can someone (who owns an msi gt60) post some screen shots on the gpu heatsink layout as well as if there's a gpu-bracket mod at the back of the mxm board? I want to lower the temps while playing dx11 games though.. or is the fan of my NB defective? Still the fan is blowing hard though.. I dont know how high the fan spins at 100% or how loud it is... Thanks

are new clevo vbios with fixed checksum or they will show as "invalid bios" with nvidiainspector? To fix checksum: open vbios with "nibitor", ignore all error because 680M is unsupported, save the vbios (it will fix checksum automatically), someone can test? i don't have any other card to test if i brick :)

Did a test using the latest two Clevo vBIOS.

1050V and 1025V

However, the 1050V version gave me some issues and when flashing, it would give the "unidentified device" issue and not give me proper runs.

The 1025V vBIOS allowed me to run at my GPU's physical max (993MHz, no higher and is hardcapped there even when set to 1000) and did several tests.

Core/MEM (MHz) : Performance Score 3DMark11

993/2350: P8004

993/2360: P8046

993/2380: P8050

993/2400: P8038

Seems 993/2380 is the best in terms of points and will be finding one setting stable for gaming without too high of temps (though my max temp was low at 59C; don't ask how).

Guess I'll do my end of bargain and give the man another round. @svl7

EDIT: Should be from m******[email protected] for $10 USD

Can someone (who owns an msi gt60) post some screen shots on the gpu heatsink layout as well as if there's a gpu-bracket mod at the back of the mxm board? I want to lower the temps while playing dx11 games though.. or is the fan of my NB defective? Still the fan is blowing hard though.. I dont know how high the fan spins at 100% or how loud it is... Thanks

When I get around to it, I'll post one of my GT70. I know, it's not exactly the same, but they actually have pretty much the exact same physical layout, just one is 15.x" and the other is 17".

What I would keep in mind is that with a 15" notebook, you're losing roughly 2" to the larger GT70. 2" is alot once you start considering the heat dissipation of a heatsink with a fan blowing on it.

When you hit your turbo button, and the fan spins up, you should be able to feel a decent amount of air blowing out of the vents on the left side of the notebook. Do you feel that air if you put your hand there?

What are your current temps when playing a DX11 game and what game(s) are you talking about? I play quite a few, but most of them barely top the temp charts above 75C even when I run it at 1000 core/2400 memory. Knowing this could help give everyone an idea of how intensive the game is and if you have a cooling problem.

When you hit your turbo button, and the fan spins up, you should be able to feel a decent amount of air blowing out of the vents on the left side of the notebook. Do you feel that air if you put your hand there?

yes sir,

I am feeling the hot hair coming out from the vents from my hands as well..

Even if i use the stock vbios and official release of ec firmware, still the temps goes as high as 96degrees celcius (with turbo fan on and using AB) while playing dx11 games like BF3,dirt showdown at ultra settings. So the stock thermal pads that came with the gtx680m isn't sufficient enough to stabilize the temps? Please someone help me tame this GTX680M beasts and could someone posts some pics with the original MSI GT60-one with GTX680M plus the actual size layout of thermal pads. I hear my fan is spinning hard but I dont know how loud it is compared to other owners.

I am thinking of adding/modding some gpu small coppers to attach it on the gpu heatsink plus replacing the thermal pads with high quality 0.5mm, plus replacing the ic diamond thermal paste with MX4? What do you think? Thanks

Omega I suggest repasting, you shouldnt get near those temperatures. Wait with modding, and first try the repasting. GL!

- - - Updated - - -

Omega I suggest repasting, you shouldnt get near those temperatures. Wait with modding, and first try the repasting. GL!

yes sir,

I am feeling the hot hair coming out from the vents from my hands as well..

Even if i use the stock vbios and official release of ec firmware, still the temps goes as high as 96degrees celcius (with turbo fan on and using AB) while playing dx11 games like BF3,dirt showdown at ultra settings. So the stock thermal pads that came with the gtx680m isn't sufficient enough to stabilize the temps? Please someone help me tame this GTX680M beasts and could someone posts some pics with the original MSI GT60-one with GTX680M plus the actual size layout of thermal pads. I hear my fan is spinning hard but I dont know how loud it is compared to other owners.

I am thinking of adding/modding some gpu small coppers to attach it on the gpu heatsink plus replacing the thermal pads with high quality 0.5mm, plus replacing the ic diamond thermal paste with MX4? What do you think? Thanks

http://assets.vr-zone.net/15462/gt70_2.jpg

That's an image of a GT70. The GT60 will be identical, just slightly smaller. I can't find one of the heatsink removed, but needless to say, modifying this would not be an easy task at all. It would take alot of patience and time, as you would most likely have to either A) Remove EVERYTHING inside the case in order to file down the mounting points, or B) Very carefully tape off the entire motherboard and case and ensure that any small filings don't get down to the motherboard. Either way, you're taking a huge risk for a potentially little benefit. If you file it too much, you might crack your core on your GPU, yet another risk to add to the mix.

I would most likely go ahead and do the thermal re-paste job. That, at the very least should help. The thermal pads I wouldn't worry about for the memory, unless you're going to get some very new-tech pads that have a heat transfer of at least double the norm. Otherwise, it's really not worth it (since the memory overclock is pretty pointless).

• Brian featured this topic