NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

I only see this:

Based on the Clevo 680m vbios:

• 'OCedition' revised -> higher limits for software overclocking, stock default clocks. For P1xxHM based systems I recommend only using version 80.04.29.00.01 !! Some users reported issue with other vbios versions (stock or modified, doesn't matter). EM users make sure you're on the latest BIOS / EC

NOTE: At the moment the Clevo 80.04.67.00.01 vbios will crash Nvidia Inspector and GPU-Z, stock or modified, doesn't matter. MSI Afterburner works.

I still don't see an explanation of what the difference is between them in regards to clock and voltage settings? They all say OCedition revised.

Again, sorry if I'm completely blind or something.

Thanks,

-A

In terms of performance from when I tested, the 80.04.33.00.10 is better. Next is the 80.04.67.00.01 which I ran and was quite good for some time. The .29 was the only vBIOS that dropped in performance for me.

In terms of performance from when I tested, the 80.04.33.00.10 is better. Next is the 80.04.67.00.01 which I ran and was quite good for some time. The .29 was the only vBIOS that dropped in performance for me.

Thank you so much.. I'm really a newb and I just need some education. Much appreciated.

Using MSI bios really is kool. tested in 3dmark11 and produces excellent results. BUt i really cant tame this beastly card when it comes to temps. When playing dx11 games like crysis 2, dirt showdown etc.. the temps rises to 90 degrees celcius. When it reaches at this temp. the game stutters and fps jerks alot.... I tried lowering my AB to core clock +30, and mem clock +460.. still degrees rose to 90 degrees and it stutters at this temp.... Can give some advice guru's thanks

Yeah, repaste, make sure the cooling fins are free of dust and maybe do a retention / backplate mod in order to increase the pressure on the die.

I get lower temps in my system (which was never designed to run with this card).

repaste, make sure the cooling fins are free of dust and maybe do a retention
did this
[ backplate mod in order to increase the pressure on the die
noob question... you got any guide on how to do a backplate mod? Im using an msi gt60 and i removed the gpu bracket. The brackets are not compatible with msi laptops (gpu cannot be inserted with the gpu brackets) not like alienware nb.... Thanks

did this

noob question... you got any guide on how to do a backplate mod? Im using an msi gt60 and i removed the gpu bracket. The brackets are not compatible with msi laptops (gpu cannot be inserted with the gpu brackets) not like alienware nb.... Thanks

I also reach 90 in BF3, turning the turbo fan lowers it to 75. I recommend using it while gaming!

did this

noob question... you got any guide on how to do a backplate mod? Im using an msi gt60 and i removed the gpu bracket. The brackets are not compatible with msi laptops (gpu cannot be inserted with the gpu brackets) not like alienware nb....

Got some pics of that? You can't mount a heatsink without a backplate...at least I can't imagine that.

About the mod... check here: http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m15x/390-%5Bguide%5D-m15x-amd-6970m-6990m-everything-you-need-know.html (See "backplate problem part 2").

I also reach 90 in BF3, turning the turbo fan lowers it to 75. I recommend using it while gaming!

75°C is nice. This power fan stuff sounds like a good idea as well. Seems that the stock max fan speed is a bit low.

Do you have some pictures? This just doesn't make sense.

http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/uploads/157/MS-16F3_Disassembly_guide.pdf

Other MSI disassembly guides are found here too btw:

Disassembly guides | MSI HQ User-to-User FAQ

Look at page 6 specifically for information there. And possibly 1 or 2 pages before that. It's very similar on the GT70's as well. The holes for mounting the heatsink are embedded into the notebook if I remember correctly. So any filing or anything of that nature needs to be done extremely carefully as you will get metal shavings all over the inside of the notebook if you don't do it properly, increasing the chances for shorts in very bad places.

Either way, there probably isn't much that can be done about it, except maybe adding a shim of some kind. But I wouldn't even bother with that.

If you're worried about messing anything up, you can order a new heatsink assembly straight from the MSI store, if you contact them directly. Amazingly, you can order almost any part from the MSI store. If it were me, and I was going to mod anything, I'd order another whole heatsink assembly and modify the new one while keeping the old one original.

With my GT70, I re-applied the heatsink compound on both the CPU and GPU and noticed immediately a 10 degree C difference in temperatures compared to the original compound. I didn't use anything special, just some silver heatsink compound I got from Best Buy (as I have a few tubes of that on-hand). Not the best stuff out there, but much better than the original. I would really recommend starting with replacing the compound, and then move onto any 'mods' after checking that it actually decreased the temperatures.

• Thumbs Up 1

@svl7

Here's the pic

post-7316-14494994095705_thumb.jpg

My old gtx670m have no gpu bracket as the nb got 4 mounting holes for the mxm board. Thats why i removed the bracket so that the gpu is properly inserted on the MXM slot.

This is the bracket with mounting holes that I am referring to.

post-7316-14494994095915_thumb.jpg

How to remove that mounting holes from that bracket?

The holes for mounting the heatsink are embedded into the notebook if I remember correctly. So any filing or anything of that nature needs to be done extremely carefully as you will get metal shavings all over the inside of the notebook if you don't do it properly, increasing the chances for shorts in very bad places.

Either way, there probably isn't much that can be done about it, except maybe adding a shim of some kind. But I wouldn't even bother with that.

I would really recommend starting with replacing the compound, and then move onto any 'mods' after checking that it actually decreased the temperatures.

I see... weird design decision if you ask me. Well, shorten the screws a little bit might allow some more pressure as well, can't tell it for sure since I've never seen such a system myself.

Else a copper shim might really be the easiest way to improve anything - provided the pressure is really not that good. It's also possible that simply the max fan speed is too low.

I'd start with repasting as well.

@svl7 Is there a new Clevo OV vbios on the way, similar to the AW one?

Ah yeah... need to upload this stuff.

hmmm. but whenever i benchmark or play games, i turn on the turbo fan. I also updated the firmware on this one BETA EC for GT60 (16F3) & GT70 (1762)....

Give repasting a try, might help. If not, look into the stuff we suggested.

@svl7 it works very well, without throttling in M17x R4 with GTX 680m 2GB.

Wonderfull work from your side.

Glad to hear that.

Thanks I would by you a bear in the next day's.

A beer will do, but I won't say no to a bear either :P;)

@svl7

I have found out a temporary solution to my gt680m temps when reaching 80 degrees celcius and up... By using the official EC firmware from MSI it eliminates the stutter with these temps. although i dont know if it eliminates the throttle but the original firmware makes dx11 games stable.. One question though. Is it normal if you play dx 11 games with temps reaching between 80 -90 degrees? Im using AB with +232 core clock, +561 mem clock, + bclk of 106fsb

@svl7

I have found out a temporary solution to my gt680m temps when reaching 80 degrees celcius and up... By using the official EC firmware from MSI it eliminates the stutter with these temps. although i dont know if it eliminates the throttle but the original firmware makes dx11 games stable.. One question though. Is it normal if you play dx 11 games with temps reaching between 80 -90 degrees? Im using AB with +232 core clock, +561 mem clock, + bclk of 106fsb

That really doesn't make much sense. Judging by what you're saying, I'd wager you're really pushing the limits of what the cooling system is capable of. I'm using the non-throttling EC firmware from MSI right now with more mild overlocks on the core, and I'm not getting anywhere close to what you are, even under heavy gaming loads. +135 atm on core, +800 on the memory and I actually see little to no temperature difference between stock. I'm sure I could push it a bit more, but then again I'm not trying to overclock my CPU as well. I'm sure that plays an even bigger role in everything.....

Either way, it doesn't seem to make much sense. Your notebook works better with those overclocks while using the original, throttled EC firmware? Something isn't adding up here TBQH....

I installed the latest vbios version from the Thread for my M17xR4, i cant go higher then +135 core clock!if i go higher then +135, my nvidia driver crashes and get back to the default clocks!

Do i need a other Bios? I got the Dell A09 bios

@svl7

Well, I'm not familiar with an EC issues in the MSI system, but if you have issues with any unofficial / beta EC, then it's a good idea to go back to the stock one. Seems to work fine for you.

I'm not reaching such high temps at stock voltage, my fans are kicking in and keeping the temp on a certain level.

A reason for your system instabilities (including GPU issues) could be your 106MHz Bclk. I highly recommend you not to overclock the bclk, I'm pretty sure this will solve your stability issues.

I installed the latest vbios version from the Thread for my M17xR4, i cant go higher then +135 core clock!if i go higher then +135, my nvidia driver crashes and get back to the default clocks!

Do i need a other Bios? I got the Dell A09 bios

This sounds like you pushed your clocks too high. You can't just crank it up to any clock you want, there's a certain limit you can get to without losing stability.

That really doesn't make much sense. Judging by what you're saying, I'd wager you're really pushing the limits of what the cooling system is capable of. I'm using the non-throttling EC firmware from MSI right now with more mild overlocks on the core, and I'm not getting anywhere close to what you are, even under heavy gaming loads. +135 atm on core, +800 on the memory and I actually see little to no temperature difference between stock. I'm sure I could push it a bit more, but then again I'm not trying to overclock my CPU as well. I'm sure that plays an even bigger role in everything.....

I used this modded ec firmware and went back to the original one because of heat issues of the beastly gtx680m.BETA EC for GT60 (16F3) & GT70 (1762) As one of the users of beta ec firmware said

hippiesrlame

my temps while gaming are a lot higher after flashing this EC. before, no sensor would read higher than low 80s. Now, I am getting into the 90s. It doesn't sound like my fans are working as hard. Did you guys adjust the fan thresholds with this update? that being said, so far I haven't detected any throttling, although i still have some more testing to do.

Warner of MSI tech said

It is possible that the temp can go up due to less occurrence of throttling, however we can look into the fan speed issue to verify the speed.

hippiesrlame

Thanks, please do. I was running into a situation where it seemed I would have a run away temperatures as they just steadily kept climbing once the fan didn't go past a certain speed (I think I closed the game after 91 Celcius on the THRM sensor in CPUID hardware monitor (GPU and most of the cores were between 88-90). The only other time I've ever seen the temperatures not seem to even out was when I first got the laptop I tested with prime95 (w out turbo fans at first) and got all the way up to 100 C before I killed it.

What u are trying to point out is you are using the official release ec firmware. Now who really doesnt make sense? Because i am one one of those users using the modded ec firmware. I was addressing my problem to svl and gave a temporary solution because i am using his modded vbios. Or are you svl7? Thanks anyway

• Brian featured this topic