NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Ok. Tests are done, all 3 ones. Unfortunately the 680m is still throtteling down to 222 Mhz.

post-2451-14494993478815_thumb.jpg

Higher clocks, and a slightly different approach regarding the mod. More specific information about the versions can be found in the second post.
  • Thumbs Up 1

What I find especially puzzeling is the fact that the "deep" throttling with brief spikes down into the 200eds happens primarily with benchmark tools: for me, most prominently with 3DM11 and Vantage (as many other have stated, above +100 MHz OC Core, + 200 MHz OC mem), and less so with Unigine Heaven (for me, it's "stable" up to 900+ MHz). In games, I've yet to experience this behaviour. What's more, a higher OC yields a definite performance increase in gaming as expected, so it is only because of the throttling that 3DM scores start to go down again.

However, there's another "soft" throttling that's especially apparent for me in WoW. Rather that erratically fluctuating between around 200 and max for less than a second, the GPU will clock to different freqs for extended periods of time. Most often when doing so, it will stay above default at 720+ MHz, seldom it will clock down to around 650 MHz. I am not sure that this is the same underlying mechanism, it could just be the "bored throttle" with less demanding games. It does, however, happen even when power settings are set to prefer maximum performance rather than adaptive and not only in less demanding scenes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Crippled by Dell it seems... aarrrghhh :53_002:

Any M18x user here to share some experiences? Does the stock vbios throttle as well when overclocked? Any the modified versions?

Sorry, I somehow assumed you had a G75vw... the G55 has the GPU soldered to the mobo as far as I know, so you can't dump the vbios with the usual tools.

Let me take a look at the BIOS. The screenshot you posted earlier is from your machine, right?

Yep that's my machine I screencapped, a G55vw =)

I saved them as .rom and .txt, does that work, btw?

Oh and thanks

Only with software like furmark or if the heat rise the danger zone of 90 + °C ... (this is the behavior i see on mine ...)

Okay... Let me mod some stuff.

Yep that's my machine I screencapped, a G55vw =)

I saved them as .rom and .txt, does that work, btw?

Sure, I'll take a look at it after modding some Clevo 680m vbios. Can you post a link for the latest G55vw BIOS? :)

Sure, I'll take a look at it after modding some Clevo 680m vbios.

I love to read that :sexy_girl: but take your time because i go to new york for 8 days ...

@Eldaren : On 3Dm11 : Be aware that the card go to idle mode during the loading of the test (so between the different test)

Clevo vbios with higher software overclocking limits added to second post. I don't know whether this mod works stable with the Clevo vbios... it seems to work nicely with the MSI.

Oh and for what it's worth, lspci returns "NVIDIA Corporation Device 0fd4 (rev a1)" on my G55vw, which is the same being returned on a G75vw

Yeah, that's the 660m device ID.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks SVL7

i test quickly the bios mod based on clevo :

The idle bug (caused by msi vbios) seem to disapear ... but i made some test and the card seem to throttle when i break the wall of 853 Mhz (3dmark11 score goes down)

maybe a light overvolt could fix this i presume ...

BTW good job, it help me determine that the idle bug is msi vbioses fault on P150HM/gtx680m combo.

• Brian featured this topic