NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

sideswipe78, I have tested in 3dmark 11 extreme and aida 64 (both CPU and GPU tests simultaneously). The temps are pretty low: less than 70 in 3d mark since there are only short tests, and 76 GPU/80 CPU (peak) in Aida after 30 minutes. I'm really worried about Vbios, because I have killed my GTX 780 Ti after 10-15 times of flashing. I think because I was doing it in windows and somehow something went wrong. Fortunately, there is a way to revive GPU on PC :)

Hi everybody!

Back in last December I got an Alienware 17 R1 with 880m and the 120Hz panel from dell.

I just discovered that some games and maps happens to slow down big time! Like from 80 to 110 fps in Payday2 to only 25 or 35 in some heavy maps.

Recently a friend told me that was because of throttling? and a custom vbios will fix that

My question is :

1-It is this vbios, by svl7, the only one besides stock: " CQFxDAQQDQoPCw4DzXPP0dPV19nbWNBaPSlbNUtjEl7bZRhxaTdiZhVXUmpJ20M6cTEbdnhoAQoUiRMI4gwSFCmLhids2CCYsXAQHDROBAiQobCiRziLPFqMCBJkx4psRoQgc8EKmDiBAAA7Nvidia GTX 880m - 'OC edition' - rev00.zip (130.6 KB, 624 views)" And it is this "rev00" the "only" revision he made of it?

2-His vbios dates from July 2014 and my notebook was purchased directly to dell in December 2014. Do you think that dell might have change/improved the vbios by that time?(I've attached a pic from my video card)

3-And finally it is safe? and do you recommend me to change the vbios being the system still on guarantee by dell?

Many thanks in advance!

post-16725-14495000055603_thumb.jpg

Not quite sure if you can really kill your GPU unless you do an extreme mod

I think it happened because of some windows processes interference. Therefore I won't flash from windows anymore. Btw, what is the max safe voltage for 860m kepler? I think 1.2v should be alright as long as non-M versions of these cards works well with that voltage.

• Bios Modder
Does vBIOS Nvidia GTX 880m - 'OC edition' work in MSI GT70 2OD?

From first page:

"Nvidia GTX 880m (8GB version only):

• 'OC edition' -> unlocked overclocking limits, voltage adjustable, power target adjustable, optimized performance at higher clocks
    Can be used for all current 880m (Clevo, MSI and Dell)."

Hi Klem I have an MSI GS60 with the kepler 860m in it. I tried to flash the vbios for the 860m in this page but it says that the vBios ID or whatever doesn't match my 860m's ID so I didn't press "y" to flash it as I wasn't sure it would work. Do you know if it will work because so far the vBios flashes I've done with the 860m, the ID always matched.

• Bios Modder
Hi Klem I have an MSI GS60 with the kepler 860m in it. I tried to flash the vbios for the 860m in this page but it says that the vBios ID or whatever doesn't match my 860m's ID so I didn't press "y" to flash it as I wasn't sure it would work. Do you know if it will work because so far the vBios flashes I've done with the 860m, the ID always matched.

No, in the first page of this thread are placed vbios 860M for Dell card. But your laptop is MSI. I have done for you mod vbios for MSI 860M. Just flash it.

MSI860M.zip

• Thumbs Up 3

Hi, i downloaded 675M vBIOS package and flash my card in Clevo P150HM. No matter with vBIOS i flash i have problem with installation graphics driver. I modified inf file and it works but there is error when driver is installed. I have 580M, two 675M and with all it looks the same. Maybe because this are Dell cards?

BIOS in motherboard is the newest.

i got modified bios for 880m and i gotta say it looks very stable in terms of performance. With stock bios from clevo i was having stuttering in games with svl7 bios i'm having no issues in terms of stuttering. i tried some overclocks and they are working well too only problem are heat :/ my 880m with 1050 clock at full speed can go like 88/89/90ºc which is very bad... im using a nice cooler master to decrease temperatures but still i cant achieve good temperatures. any ideas of how to control better this temperatures ?

i got modified bios for 880m and i gotta say it looks very stable in terms of performance. With stock bios from clevo i was having stuttering in games with svl7 bios i'm having no issues in terms of stuttering. i tried some overclocks and they are working well too only problem are heat :/ my 880m with 1050 clock at full speed can go like 88/89/90ºc which is very bad... im using a nice cooler master to decrease temperatures but still i cant achieve good temperatures. any ideas of how to control better this temperatures ?
Have you repasted yet? If not then try that. The 880m is known to run too hot so you probably are not going to get any dramatic inprovement.

I went with Gelid Extreme on my GPU's and CPU to see around -2~3c at stock and around -5c when overclocked.

If you have already tried that then there is Liquid Metal Ultra (Coollaboratory*Liquid Ultra - top performance for High-End systems!). Seems to be about the best around ATM but is conductive and has a tricky application method. Watch the demo video before considering it. On a GPU you will have other components close and any tiny 'escapee' could produce a short :(

Have you repasted yet? If not then try that. The 880m is known to run too hot so you probably are not going to get any dramatic inprovement.

I went with Gelid Extreme on my GPU's and CPU to see around -2~3c at stock and around -5c when overclocked.

If you have already tried that then there is Liquid Metal Ultra (Coollaboratory*Liquid Ultra - top performance for High-End systems!). Seems to be about the best around ATM but is conductive and has a tricky application method. Watch the demo video before considering it. On a GPU you will have other components close and any tiny 'escapee' could produce a short :(

thanks for the reply. Seems pretty good that liquid metal ultra. im gonna buy one and leave feedback on forum :)

thanks for the reply. Seems pretty good that liquid metal ultra. im gonna buy one and leave feedback on forum :)
That would be great :). I thought about doing it surgeon style through a cut-out so nothing could get flicked on the circuit board...

i tried to upgrade my ivy MSI gt70 with upgraded GTX 880m 8GB to the available 880m 8GB oc bios. i had no success. seems to be not compatible.

i attach my 880mstockrom if someone is interested in evaluation or able to switch it to oc or just for recovery purposes.

GT70880mstock.zip

i tried to upgrade my ivy MSI gt70 with upgraded GTX 880m 8GB to the available 880m 8GB oc bios. i had no success. seems to be not compatible.

i attach my 880mstockrom if someone is interested in evaluation or able to switch it to oc or just for recovery purposes.

Hum... have you correctly flashed BIOS ? i have Flashed my 880m from clevo 170sm and its working fine. Any errors while flashing ?

That would be great :). I thought about doing it surgeon style through a cut-out so nothing could get flicked on the circuit board...

For now i removed bottom cover and i have a cooler master pad under my laptop. My results were amazing i have 10c less on my gpu. Pretty good i would say :) maximum temperatures at full speed with clock at 1050 (default 993) and mem 6000 (default 5000,) are like 80/81c. I'm probably saying incorrectly the mem overclock because i overclocked +500 but shows like doubled in OSD.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hum... have you correctly flashed BIOS ? i have Flashed my 880m from clevo 170sm and its working fine. Any errors while flashing ?

yes, got type/comatibility mismatches warnings from nvflash before updating but i flashed with -6 parameter. windows reported device error until i reflashed to original bios.

i have an ivy-GT70, seems to be different from haswell or/and from clevo. maybe a bios problem. i hope someone has reliable information about that.

For now i removed bottom cover and i have a cooler master pad under my laptop. My results were amazing i have 10c less on my gpu. Pretty good i would say :) maximum temperatures at full speed with clock at 1050 (default 993) and mem 6000 (default 5000,) are like 80/81c. I'm probably saying incorrectly the mem overclock because i overclocked +500 but shows like doubled in OSD.
That's good news.

Yeah, memory is quoted differently in different places, I think it's to do with a multiplier?

Let us know if you do go for the liquid metal. Be good to hear some feedback ;).

• Brian featured this topic