NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

Hey, I've never heared about "Kepler bios tweaker" before, maybe thats the solution I need...

Can I use this to rise base clock of my GTX770m above the +135 of stock vbios? Or do I need to unlock it somehow before?

You need the modded vbios. See the second post of this thread.

You need the modded vbios. See the second post of this thread.

I've tried to use it, but my problem is that OC vbios from this post (base clock 863) gives me the same performance as stock (706). After OC stock +135 and modiffied +200 (so its 846 vs. 1062mhz) the performance/game fps/3dmark scores are almost the same.

It's not the power problem as the 180W is waaaay more than GTX770m + i5 need. It's not the temperature also, I'm still under 80C.

I've tried to use it, but my problem is that OC vbios from this post (base clock 863) gives me the same performance as stock (706). After OC stock +135 and modiffied +200 (so its 846 vs. 1062mhz) the performance/game fps/3dmark scores are almost the same.

It's not the power problem as the 180W is waaaay more than GTX770m + i5 need. It's not the temperature also, I'm still under 80C.

It might be the i5. Have you checked CPU load during benchmarks/games?

Cab anyone please tell me the difference between:

Dell 680m - 80.04.5B.00.02_'OCedition'_revised_00

and

Dell 680m - 80.04.33.00.32__'OCedition'_revised_00

And I guess the other variants 1000-1050?

Thank you!

Well I opened them up and it looks like the boards are slightly different. Just a guess on my part...

Name: GK104 P2051B SKU 001

Board: GK104 Board - 2051b001

Version: 80.04.5B.00.02

Name: GK104 P2051B SKU 002

Board: GK104 Board - 2051b503

Version: 80.04.33.00.32

Cab anyone please tell me the difference between:

Dell 680m - 80.04.5B.00.02_'OCedition'_revised_00

and

Dell 680m - 80.04.33.00.32__'OCedition'_revised_00

And I guess the other variants 1000-1050?

Thank you!

Dell 680m - 80.04.5B.00.02_'OCedition'_revised_00 - This is the latest version of BIOS, which enables GTX 680m to boot on UEFI systems. Another version is the older vBIOS for the same card as far as I am aware. I tried both on my laptop in the signature. 5b version can boot into Windows 8.1 in full UEFI mode when Intel GPU is disabled. When 680m is flashed with 33 version, card does not boot into Windows in full UEFI - laptop just reboots and re-enables Intel GPU and Optimus and boots into Windows using Intel card. 5b is better is you do not want optimus for some reason as it allows UEFI systems to run fully on nVidia GPU and have Intel GPU disabled. 33 is better for overclocking as some versions have OV, which allows higher stable OC. Unless someone adds the same OV options to the latest vBIOS :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Good Day ... I just bought the infamous Alienware M17 late 2014 with the GTX 880m ... I didn't suffer from the throttling issue everyone having as my card runs with full turbo boost when needed all the time regardless of the temperature & that's the problem "regardless of the temperature" ... This thing runs around 85-95C all the time when gaming & since I don't really care much about losing a bit of fps to keep the laptop alive I was thinking about dropping the voltage by 5% to be 0.9557 & clocks by 8% to be around 920 after turbo boost

I have several questions:

1- Can I do that with the modded bios included in this thread

2- What I understood is that this bios forces 3D clocks all the time, is this true & is there any possibility that I retain different P states

3- Can I control the fan tables for the gpu using this bios or it's included in the main laptop board bios not the GPU bios

4- Will be able to install Nvidia drivers or I will have to mod drivers each time a new one comes out

Sorry for the long post but I am both new to this & frustrated a bit with the laptop purchase and need to get it sorted out

4- Will be able to install Nvidia drivers or I will have to mod drivers each time a new one comes out

You only need to mod the drivers if the card is not officially supported in your laptop. For example if I installed GTX 980m/880m/780m into my R4, I would need to mod the drivers. However, if you can buy the laptop from Dell with that particular GPU already installed, the configuration is officially supported and you do not need to mod the drivers. This applies even if you updated your VBIOS. I updated VBIOS for my GTX 680m and never had to mod the drivers, since this card is officially supported by Dell in R4.

• Thumbs Up 1

You only need to mod the drivers if the card is not officially supported in your laptop. For example if I installed GTX 980m/880m/780m into my R4, I would need to mod the drivers. However, if you can buy the laptop from Dell with that particular GPU already installed, the configuration is officially supported and you do not need to mod the drivers. This applies even if you updated your VBIOS. I updated VBIOS for my GTX 680m and never had to mod the drivers, since this card is officially supported by Dell in R4.

EDIT: I managed to extract my own bios & tried all sorts of modifications to it using KEPLER Bios Editor ... Everything works & flashes fine except that my Turbo Boost Voltage is stuck at 1.006. I tried disabling the function & it still worked, Equalized the 3D clock with turbo boost clock & still the low clocks came with the same voltage, I tried to modify the P0 voltage & clocks but still it went with the 1.006V.

What am I doing wrong, all I need to do is have my base 954 MHz clock and base voltage of 0.981 as my boost clock/voltage &/or the only 3D clock/voltage I don't want the cursed 1.006V I believe it will help me with the temps a bit.

Anyone can help me with that ?

Hey guys, so I'm totally a retard and didn't follow the correct instructions for the Clevo P170em 680m 4GB version flash and looks like I totally bricked my card..... Basically I didn't see svl7's post about until it was too late.....this:

----------------------

Clevo GTX 680m (4GB version) vbios:

'OCedition' revised -> higher limits for software overclocking, stock default clocks. For P1xxHM based systems I recommend only using version 80.04.29.00.01 !! Some users reported issue with other vbios versions (stock or modified, doesn't matter). EM users make sure you're on the latest BIOS / EC

same with increased 3d voltage ('OV') -> refer to the file name (Same warning as above applies to P1xxHM users).

----------------------

I ended up flashing it to this:

Clevo 680m (80.04.33.00.10) 'OCedition' revised v01

And now my POST is this:

post-33084-14494999386792_thumb.jpg

So if anyone has some good news that would be amazing LOL??? I know I could buy a whole new vbios chip and re-solder it onto the card.... which I totally don't want to do, or it would be nice to have someone do that for me lol. Seriously though I'm willing to ship my card and have someone fix this for me. Just sucks cause I literally just bought this laptop a few days ago for 900 bucks on ebay and now GOD has smitten me

(BUT GOD I ONLY WANTED BETTER PERFORMANCE...:04:)!

Anyways I'll stop ranting.... I have the backup vbios saved if that makes any difference.

Someone please let me know I'm not alone in my sins, thanks.

post-33084-14494999386601_thumb.jpg

Hi guys,

I want to ask you if there is any modified vbios for GTX 880m 4GB? I've got Asus G750JZ and I'd be glad to overclock it for a bit. And if there isn't what would happen if I use vbios for 8GB version? I mean they more or less the same and I don't think it could be problem but I'm not expert on this matter.

Thank you for answers.

I have the M17x R4 with the 120hz 3D screen.

Will a 4GB Clevo 680M work in my laptop?

Will I need to flash a different v-bios?

Will I need to mod drivers, or will it work straight away?

Will 3D Vision work?

I've found a lot of conflicting information on the interwebs.

Hi, from my own investigations when I upgraded with a dell 680m:

The clevo will work fine and the vbios is not locked like the dell one so you should be able to overclock it without needing to flash (unless you want more voltage).

Driver mod should not be needed, the 680m is recognised as an 'authorised' card.

3D vision should work as again it's an approved card in the R4, but you may need to flash with a dell vbios?

No need for ANY bios work or changing settings.

It will be pretty much plug and play :D.

HTH

Good luck.

I've been running the 880M with the flashed vbios in my m17x r5 for a week now, been running perfectly, not overclocked. Now all of a sudden I boot my system to find "Nvidia windows kernel mode driver 347.52 stopped responding and was recovered successfully”, the GUI then proceeds to become extremely slow until I get a black screen and have to manually shut the system down. I have just restored the backup of the vbios and the error has gone. Is this a problem with the OC rom not being compatible with the latest driver update? Not sure why this has happened as it was running perfectly for a week with no problems.

Apart from this, I really appreciate all the work that has been put into these modified files, its AWESOME!

I've been running the 880M with the flashed vbios in my m17x r5 for a week now, been running perfectly, not overclocked. Now all of a sudden I boot my system to find "Nvidia windows kernel mode driver 347.52 stopped responding and was recovered successfully”, the GUI then proceeds to become extremely slow until I get a black screen and have to manually shut the system down. I have just restored the backup of the vbios and the error has gone. Is this a problem with the OC rom not being compatible with the latest driver update? Not sure why this has happened as it was running perfectly for a week with no problems.

Apart from this, I really appreciate all the work that has been put into these modified files, its AWESOME!

When you use the battery the GPU won't be able to downclock properly with the modded bios so the driver will crash

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi guys,

I want to ask you if there is any modified vbios for GTX 880m 4GB? I've got Asus G750JZ and I'd be glad to overclock it for a bit. And if there isn't what would happen if I use vbios for 8GB version? I mean they more or less the same and I don't think it could be problem but I'm not expert on this matter.

Thank you for answers.

You risk hard bricking your gpu. DON'T DO IT

guys i have a question. I flashed the vbios of dell to unlock the +135 limit on the core. but the problem is that even though i set 900mhz/915mhz on the core clock. it will not go up to that level. it will only be at 888mhz which is the maximum overclock for the stock vbios. thanks :)

Alienware m17xR4

• Brian featured this topic