NVIDIA Kepler VBIOS mods - Overclocking Editions, modified clocks, voltage tweaks

What's the best achievable OC's on an M17x R4 w/ my 680M. I was testing the unlocked vBIOS back in the day but haven't messed with OC'ing recently. I have the older mod installed that caps out at around +135 bringing me up to around 888 on the core. Did an Arkham Origins benchmark and gained 5fps bumping it up from stock. Before OC 33 fps average, after OC 38 fps average. Would like to go further, if possible.
Hi, I am using the 1.025v one and can run most games at +230mhz giving be a boost clock of around 980mhz. It does flake out over that and I generally game on +220 for a speed of 967mhz. Big improvement. BMAO bench is currently giving me 57 fps :D

PM me if you want a link to everything you need (and my own instructions).

Edit: Temps on full OC are in the 70-75c range.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hi, I am using the 1.025v one and can run most games at +230mhz giving be a boost clock of around 980mhz. It does flake out over that and I generally game on +220 for a speed of 967mhz. Big improvement. BMAO bench is currently giving me 57 fps :D

Mine is a bit of a dud, needs 1.025v for 941mhz stable. I set it @ 915/2300 with 1.0v and it's been fine for over a year now. Max temp ~75C.

Noticed there was an unlocked vBIOS for the 870M as well. Is that for the 3GB or 6GB version? Was going to reflash my Razer Blade...

Good question, I don't know, hopefully svl7 can answer you if he sees this, it doesn't say anywhere on the first page.

My first post, will start with saying Thank you. I have a 3 year old clevo 150em. Have never overclocked my gtx 680m. Now I cant seem to run most games on verg high or ultra setings - so time to overclock! ALso, I have a stock PSU for my clevo. Is there a need to worry about it if I unlock the bios and overclock the GPU?

So, I have a question. I have a pair of 780m in sli in my alienware18. When Im running 3d mark firestrike, my cards go from a 849 boost clock speed, to gpu 1 is 615 mhz and gpu 2 runs 666 mhz. Will flashing my cards help? Ive already downloaded and installed Mr Fox's 344.75 driver mod to see if that would help and it does but my cards still underclock themselves and my temps never get past 71.

Boosted +220 and Memory +100 (not sure if memory was needed or not, should I bother?) getting 56-57fps using the 1080p Arkham test with max everything (no AA) so looks like I might be good. ran it a few times and didn't see graphical glitches. Temps are definitely not close to what you were getting. I'm in the upper 80's lower 90's. Even have a cooler on. Just repasted too.

The modified rom on page 1 gimps the GPU. It'll say 900~ Mhz for the core but it only works at 200Mhz. Flash back to stock and it works no problem. Here's my stock 870m from my Razer Blade, would appreciate it being unlocked. Thank you. [ATTACH]13781[/ATTACH]

Boosted +220 and Memory +100 (not sure if memory was needed or not, should I bother?) getting 56-57fps using the 1080p Arkham test with max everything (no AA) so looks like I might be good. ran it a few times and didn't see graphical glitches. Temps are definitely not close to what you were getting. I'm in the upper 80's lower 90's. Even have a cooler on. Just repasted too.
Yeah, that's far too warm. I've helped a few 680m upgraders and all of them so far have seen similar or lower temps than me. Something isn't right.

What heatsink did you use, three pipe?

Did you use the x-bracket for the card or one you had, from what?

I'm wondering about the padding as well. Those smaller components at the edge of the card with the thicker pads (on the original it has some sort of thermal putty) are the VRM's and can get very hot, maybe they are heating up the whole card? I never even used any after market paste, just what dell pre-applied to a new heatsink.

Edit: The latest driver lets me push the card even further, I can bench heaven 4 @ +245 for a boost clock of 1006mhz. Most games crash on it though. I just run the memory at +100 to reach the speed it is rated at. I've not tested if it gives any real FPS results going higher.

Hi All, I have a Clevo 150EM with GTX 680M. I unlocked the bios using the method posted here in the form. I used "Clevo 680m - 80.04.33.00.10_'OCedition'_revised_01 - OV 1025v.zip" file to unlock the bios. now I get the option to increase the clock beyond 135mhz in nvidia inspector. But when I overclock gpu to +180 or +200 and apply the settings, I still get the normal 3dmark 11 performance preset scores. MSI Combustor clearly shows the base clock to have increased. I am really not able to understand why 3dmark score wont increase. Any suggestions? Also, I have i7 3610QM processor. Is the cpu throttling gpu?

And to make the matters worse, if I roll back the bios to original version and then run 3dmark11 with +135mhz overclock in nvidia inspector, the score increases drastically!!

Locked bios Normal - 6299

Locked Bios overclock +135 - 6873

Unlocked Bios - overclock +200 - 6244

Hi All, I have a Clevo 150EM with GTX 680M. I unlocked the bios using the method posted here in the form. I used "Clevo 680m - 80.04.33.00.10_'OCedition'_revised_01 - OV 1025v.zip" file to unlock the bios. now I get the option to increase the clock beyond 135mhz in nvidia inspector. But when I overclock gpu to +180 or +200 and apply the settings, I still get the normal 3dmark 11 performance preset scores. MSI Combustor clearly shows the base clock to have increased. I am really not able to understand why 3dmark score wont increase. Any suggestions? Also, I have i7 3610QM processor. Is the cpu throttling gpu?

And to make the matters worse, if I roll back the bios to original version and then run 3dmark11 with +135mhz overclock in nvidia inspector, the score increases drastically!!

Locked bios Normal - 6299

Locked Bios overclock +135 - 6873

Unlocked Bios - overclock +200 - 6244

I have similar problem, as written here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks-450.html#post99964

No idea why...

It does sound like some sort of throttling is being triggered at the higher clocks and voltage. Unfortunatly (unless it's just me?) they appear to have disabled the Afterburner OSD so I cant view these numbers during a run.

i don't trust 3D mark too much for my use - gaming. Right now the physics test (which is on the CPU not the PhysX chip) crawls to a halt and gives me a terrible overall score. It games great though at a +220mhz OV.

The GPU OEM's also put in code specifically for 3D Mark. This puts it further away from real-world gaming IMO.

Have you tried Heaven 4 (https://unigine.com/products/heaven/)? The Afterburner OSD works fine with this and you can watch the clocks and voltages. Just an idea?

Good luck.

That won't do it. My laptop always uses boost with the modded 880M vbios.

I tested this for you. What it takes is to go the the Boost Table tab and used the slider to set the max boost to 823.5 and save it before you leave that tab. It would be a good idea to save the file as something else before you start monkeying with it. I called my uc.rom (underclock ROM).

KBT%20Boost%20Table%20UC_zps5zvrgz3p.jpg

Here are the results.

Kombuster_zps3uu3z8zp.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey,

First Big thanks that you even tested it in your laptop. I really appreciate it :)

So basically I have to set base TDP clock to 823,5 then save the bios. Go to boost tab and set max boost to 823,5 then save and it'll result in 823MHz all the time when gaming yeah? Also, will GTX 880M last long on it's default voltage or should I lower it if I want to keep it for 4 years?

Regards

You are very welcome!

Actually, I misspoke. The GPU will only "boost" if the value in the boost table is set higher than the base clock. Setting the base clock on the Common tab lower doesn't keep it from boosting.

That being said, if you go to the Boost Table tab and set the Max Table Clock lower than the base clock setting on the Common tab, then the GPU clock will be clamped at the lower boost clock. I tested this and it works. If you want to set the TDP and Base Clock to 823.5 it won't hurt anything.

KBT%20Common%20UC_zpsmzxadwqr.jpg

The last test I did was to set the TDP and 3D Base Clocks to 993.0 and the Max Table Clock to 823.5. The highest the GPU would clock was 823.5

I don't think the voltage will matter. From the factory it's set lower than what Svl7 set it in the modded vbios. If you go too low then the card won't start up when you boot. Then you have a whole mess of a problem fixing that unless you can blind flash it or you have an Alienware. It would be a good idea to set your laptop to boot off of a USB flash drive if you decide to mess with voltages. Not recommended and really... not needed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey,

Thanks for the explanation and voltage advices. Yes I have an Alienware M18xR1 with i7-2920XM (ES). I didn't got the cards yet, they're in delivery but im doing everything before so I'll be ready when they come. I've bought two 880M and im doing cooling mod on AMD heatsinks so it'll run even cooler than on NV heatsinks. Have a good day!

Regards

• Brian featured this topic