Acer Aspire V3-5xx series - BIOS mods for higher Nvidia GT640m clocks

svl7

To be honest, I am a little bit intimidated and unsure whether I should overclock my GT640M or not. I am using an Aspire V3-571G which I got a few days ago. Of course I'd like to improve the settings for even better gaming experience, especially with the 640M's potential that is spoken of. But I am not sure whether it could affect the laptop's lifetime or could damage the laptop due to overheat – I do not posess a cooling pad or something the like.

Are my fears justified or just fears?

I use nvidia inspector to overclocking. Unfortunately, I noticed that this mod you can only increase the nvidia boost with overclocking (from 709MHz to 1114MHZ), base frequency clock remains unchanged at 810 Mhz.

If you want 810Mhz in 3D you have to overclock the core to +102 MHz:

boostp.jpg

When you overclock considers only the speed of the boost.

True, kepler core is amazing, I'm sure you could go further than 1200MHz but with this mod unfortunately we can not push beyond 1114MHz. The only limit is ddr3 ram, exceeding 1150 MHz ingame I see too many artifacts.

I bought this laptop only because svl7 created this mod, thanks again :)

True, kepler core is amazing, I'm sure you could go further than 1200MHz but with this mod unfortunately we can not push beyond 1114MHz. The only limit is ddr3 ram, exceeding 1150 MHz ingame I see too many artifacts.

I bought this laptop only because svl7 created this mod, thanks again :)

Thats really awesome :) Hear that SVL7 your promoting sales ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for this great mod!

1114/1150

Vantage 9798 6600 @ standard clock

3dmark11 2568 ~1700 @ standard

Would be interesting to see what the actual limit is, but ~47% more is still enough :)

Wow that is very good overclock. Welcome to Tech Inferno TyDix.

Somebody have the same problem?[ATTACH=CONFIG]5001[/ATTACH]

I cant really see your pic good but it seems your clocks are changing several times a second or close to that. That is strange. Is unofficial overclocking enabled in Afterburner..ini file? Im not sure if that has anything to do with it but for AMD and afterburner the .ini can tell powerplay to be disabled and lock 3dclocks. Maybe you need to do similar. I dont know if this is a boost issue or not. what vbios did you use?

The issue seems to be a normal temperature based throttle.. If its only at 93-94c then i wouldn't worry as you shouldn't game at that level temperature or bench for that matter. Can you improve your temps any? Maybe an aftermarket paste or up the fan speed?

Sent from my Paranoid Samsung Galaxy S3 on Sprint using Tapatalk 2 Jelly Bean flavor included

@svl7, thanks to you i bought the acer V3-571G, was looking for a not-so-expensive laptop but with some gaming capabilites and you made it real valuable! :) playing lots of games very smoothly at 1113/1200 but sometimes it throttles back to 709mhz, no heat issue, got a good cooling and temps never go above 70º and cpu 75º, so must be needing voltage, dont you think? ill test what ever you throw my way! ;) Cheers Ed