Acer Aspire V3-5xx series - BIOS mods for higher Nvidia GT640m clocks

svl7

Acer Aspire V3 series BIOS mods - better Nvidia GT 640m performance

The Nvidia GT640m ("Kepler") which can be found in the Acer Aspire V3 series has an incredible overclocking potential. Unfortunately this is very limited due to VBIOS restrictions.

This modified BIOS version will help you to unlock the full power of your GPU. The increased default clocks (3d) gives you additional performance without having to use any additional tools.

If you want to go even further - the 135MHZ software overclocking limit is removed, so you can push your GPU to the limits.

Mods based on Acer Aspire V3-5xx series BIOS 1.07:

This BIOS is compatible with the V3-531, V3-571, V3-571G and all other models which I may have forgotten and use the same BIOS

- Overclocking edition:

- undervolting edition:

• depending on interest, tba

Here some pics, at 810MHz and further overclocked per software... yeah, this works very well :)

post-80-14494993414997_thumb.png

Instructions are included, refer to the READ ME file. Please provide feedback and leave a comment.

If you like my work feel free to buy me a beer ;)

F.A.Q.:

• Why do I need to flash the BIOS in order to get higher clocks? Isn't the VBIOS responsible for the GPU settings?
    Answer:

Spoiler

The GPU is soldered to the motherboard, its VBIOS is part of the BIOS, the only way to update it, is by flashing the BIOS

• How can I revert to the original BIOS?
    Answer:

Spoiler

Just download the original BIOS from the support site and flash it.

• What exactly got changed compared to the original BIOS?
    Answer:

Spoiler

Unless otherwise stated I only touched the VBIOS, this means the BIOS itself is exactly the same as the one from the Dell support site. The only difference you'll notice are the higher GPU clocks or other tweaks I've made, depending on the version you use.

Remember, you are responsible for the changes you make on your system, flash at your own risk.b

post-80-14494993415206_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 16

• 3 weeks later...

Hi svl7! Please, can you unlock this bios? for V3-771G with GT640M 2GB DDR3 http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.08_A_A.zip?acerid=634767928041292530&Step1=Notebook&Step2=Aspire&Step3=Aspire%20V3-771G&OS=721&LC=ru&BC=Acer&SC=EMEA_23

GT 640M - D827E668-90A8-4563-95CE-66493034FB58_1_892e

Sorry, but how you check a checksum for mod bios ?

This might be caused by not enough voltage for such clocks. Does it happen in all games?

I don't have a system to test it myself, and the first guy who tested this BIOS said it was working well...

I can't download Samsung BIOS files, only the updating utility... which then is supposed to download the BIOS but it won't do this in my case (as I obviously don't use a Samsung system).

You have to download the BIOS and send it to me, else I can't look at it.

Hello, svl7. Maybe only you can help me. I have acer aspire v3-571g with gt630m, and i have a problem. When i play in perfomance game(1-2 minutes), my GPU heats up to 74 degrees and resets the frequency from 797mhz to 475mhz. Maybe this is throttling... but I think the temperature is low in order to reduce the CPU frequency... The service center could not help too.

What do you think, is it possible to change the borders of throttling in the BIOS?

Thanks!

And sorry for my english:(

post-5524-14494993617305_thumb.jpg