Sony Vaio SVS13 / SVS15 series - Overclocking BIOS

svl7

I'm sure he will in due time but right now he's e enjoying his new titan epeen.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Nice. If only I could fit my desktop rig on a fold down table in economy class for the 14 flight to Asia.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I tested these on a SVS13A1U9ES version of the VAIO. I am not very familiar with GPU overclocking, so correct me if I did anything wrong. Basically I maxed what I could using nvidia Inspector and:

With 950 OC edition:

P0 base clock +200

P8 GPU clock 405

--> 770 Mhz (!?)

temperature: <= 73

With 835 OC edition:

P0 base clock +405

P8 GPU clock 405

temperature: <= 74

--> 835 Mhz

I don't know why I only get 770 Mhz with the 950 edition, but 835 is very sweet anyways, thanks for that! Other mods from Notebookreview seem only to give me opportunity to do +- 135 Mhz change on the GPU clock. Either I am doing something wrong or the vbios settings on my model are a bit different. Unfortunately I don't have time to dig into this ATM, but if you give me some pointers on docs on VBIOS and modding, I might be able to do some debugging in the future. Happy to provide you with any dumps you need, just let me know.

Bumping this post to re-iterate the strong interest for a Win8 bios mod. I know there's a lot of people on notebookreview who are not represented here that would be all over this.

As always, let me/us know if there is anything we can do to help. I would be happy to donate my time or money to this project (even if it turns out unfruitful). Thanks!

Working on this, but since there's no easy way to circumvent the flash lock, the only way I can think of just now is selling bios chips with a modified bios on it...

Working on this, but since there's no easy way to circumvent the flash lock, the only way I can think of just now is selling bios chips with a modified bios on it...

Is it hard to install the chip? It looks like it might be our only option...

Hi @svl7. Just a question, using NVIDIA drivers beyond 310.90 limits the core clock on both your and Amal at NotebookReview's versions of this BIOS mod. With yours I can use NVIDIA Inspector to go +200 and get up to 770mhz on core maximum, but for some reason with the latest drivers it will not set on boot at 950mhz, or any other of yours/Amal's frequencies? Do you have any solution to this?

Furthermore, there is an R0143C5 BIOS on the 640m LE BIOS thread on NotebookReview, which has a few revisions from your base ROM of R0143C5.

• Founder
Hi @svl7. Just a question, using NVIDIA drivers beyond 310.90 limits the core clock on both your and Amal at NotebookReview's versions of this BIOS mod. With yours I can use NVIDIA Inspector to go +200 and get up to 770mhz on core maximum, but for some reason with the latest drivers it will not set on boot at 950mhz, or any other of yours/Amal's frequencies? Do you have any solution to this?

Furthermore, there is an R0143C5 BIOS on the 640m LE BIOS thread on NotebookReview, which has a few revisions from your base ROM of R0143C5.

In the future, try to use the @ in front of usernames (edited your post so Marco can see it).

Hi svl7,

I just wanted to voice my support for this mod and all the work you're doing towards it. There really are quite a few of us, even just at my school, who'd greatly appreciated some extra mhz. My vaio is getting shipped in a few weeks, so if there's anything I can do to help, don't hesitate.

Thanks,

Leap

Hello guys I'm new to the forum and I've been reading about overclocking the S15(SVS151290X) R0081C8 80.07.4A.00.06(bios) and I'm very interested to do it and to keep gaining knowledge on this subject since I'm also doing a research paper on my computer arquitecture course. Correct me if I'm wrong but right now there is no bios mod for my current pc configuration? I was about to flash the 950Mhz bios mod with the InsydeFlash but as I kept reading this thread it does not work with the newest versions of the S series which have windows8? I just got a bit confused can I flash it or do I have to wait for the bios mod svl7 is currently working on?

btw this community is great, I'm learning lots & lots! thank you :)

Modifying isn't the problem, flashing is.

What happens if I flash the bios with an external Programmer (Olimex JTAG Flasher -> SPI flash) (flashrom software)? I could look for the bios chip name and if this chip has a SPI seriell interface. I've done this with my bios on my Gigabyte PC mainboard, but this bios was a normal bios chip.

Currently the only option is hardware programming or directly buying a chip from me and solder to the board.

Well, actually I do have another idea, if someone wants to test it, let me know. It's harmless, but I unfortunately don't have access to a Vaio SVS to test it myself.

Hello,

Is this thing linked with ability to flash bios mod? Microsoft faces new EU antitrust probe as Linux group files complaint - Computerworld

Because if it is the article says people should be able to purchase UEFI unlock-code from Microsoft..?

Yes, that's related to secure boot and the firmware being locked down to this. As I said, I have a new idea if someone wants to test, even if the chance of success isn't that high it's worth a try, it won't do any harm.