Sony Vaio SVS13 / SVS15 series - Overclocking BIOS

svl7

Hi guys!

I'm following this thread for some time now and as I was curious about my own VBIOS version so I checked it with GPU-Z.

The result is differing from the ones posted in the thread (the ones I could identify).

I seem to have 80.07.4a.00.06.

I do have a Sony Vaio S15 (SVS1512C5E wrongly labelled as SVS15112C5E) running BIOS version R0081C8.

Is this a special case?

post-10172-14494994305993_thumb.png

post-10172-14494994306386_thumb.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay here we go, this should work fine, or at least flash fine. >> New files and instructions, so read this! <<

Instructions:

- Get my tool ('BiosFixer') which will prepare your BIOS.

- Download the flash tool for Win64. Run the backup.bat file to create a backup of your BIOS.

- Put your backup file in the same folder as my tool, run the tool and follow the instructions.

- Place the file which my tool creates ('R0081C8_ModFix.bin') in the same folder as the flash tool and run the flash.bat.

- If everything's ok, reboot.

As always, use at your own risk.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello svl7

Thanks a lot for all your work on this bios mod, I can't wait to use my S13 in it's full potential. Is there is something I can do to help don't hesitate

me too, i'm new here and i just buy a Vaio S 15 (SVS1513C5E) with windows 8, if can i help you with some ("safe") test.. just ask! :)

PS: sorry for my bad english but i'm from Italy..

Just FYI I did all the steps and got the same error message as those above. More than happy to help make this mod a possibility in any way I can. I'm pretty tech savvy and I can chat via my desktop while testing things on my laptop if that helps at all.

Thanks again svl7!

Two questions for svl7: 1. how can I $upport your effort here? and 2. what would you estimate the likelihood of success for a win8 model bios mod?

Reason for question 1 is obvious - to reward efforts that help the community. Reason for #2 is I would buy the win8 model as soon as today if you believe the likelihood of success is high.

It would be nice to know that, because I think there are quite a few people (including me ofc) that would like to $upport the effort.

Agreed. I would be more than happy to donate. A mod like this opens up a ridiculous amount of potential for the S Series.

I analyzed the data I gained from the system of @draig, the whole bios region is locked down, writes to it are not possible. It will be very hard to get around this.

Ouch. Anything I can do to help? I have one now... Might return it now :-( but I can run any tests that might help.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I analyzed the data I gained from the system of @draig, the whole bios region is locked down, writes to it are not possible. It will be very hard to get around this.

I'd really like to help. I assume you're looking at writing directly to the GPU EPROM or are you trying to modify the UEFI/BIOS for the mainboard? There have been flash utilities for GPUs before which - I hope - don't need to go through the BIOS as they flash the GPU EPROM...

Currently yes, I have some ideas, but don't count on them. Also I need time to test and implement those, if even possible. So at the moment there's no way to this per software.

Of course I could offer chips which have the modified bios pre-flashed, but I doubt that many of you would want to got that way (requires soldering). The advantage of this method would be that (provided I find the lock bits in the bios) you could flash any bios afterwards without any issue.

Currently yes, I have some ideas, but don't count on them. Also I need time to test and implement those, if even possible. So at the moment there's no way to this per software.

Of course I could offer chips which have the modified bios pre-flashed, but I doubt that many of you would want to got that way (requires soldering). The advantage of this method would be that (provided I find the lock bits in the bios) you could flash any bios afterwards without any issue.

Let me know if you need teamviewer access or anything. I can also compile a custom linux kernel to get to the bios if needed.

I would be more than willing to desolder and resolder an unlocked bios - would this trash the win8 licensing though?

Well of course I would personalize the bios on the chip... :)

It should also be possible to remove the write lock, the only big difficulty regarding this is that I can't test it, I don't have a system for testing, and you guys can't flash a test version... lol, I guess you see the issue there.

But a write locked bios with mod shouldn't be a problem.

It should also be possible to remove the write lock, the only big difficulty regarding this is that I can't test it, I don't have a system for testing, and you guys can't flash a test version... lol, I guess you see the issue there.

I'm ready when you are! :)

Just bumping in the hope you'll find time to spend on this. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help and/or encourage you.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2