MSI GT60/GT70 with 680M GTX confirmed

Xonar

680M is great. My next target will be getting a 680M on my GT780DX.

Just got a fully working i7-2920XM on ebay for $425 USD ^_^

Hope I can get a 680M for about the same price

:haha:

I'm not sure that the 680M will even work in the GT780. The 16F2 has trouble with it.... perhaps a Dell might work, but Clevo/MSI are no-shows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You've got a M18X :P can't be compared to a MSI NB ! Though @ 1037/2500 @ BF3, max GPU temp was 81°C here (MP, 32 players Bazar, 30min of play) - but now should be even lower with the bottom panel mods:

Paul, When you get the chance to test, I will be very interested in your results. I have seen these do amazing things for localized cooling, but watch your other temps, this case only has one main fain, so all of the cooling for the other parts (HD included) is pretty much gone.

Nebbors,

I think you'll be happy to know that MSI has implemented a pretty good cooling system. I have done the mod as well, see the attachment below, and I have found that the results of the cooling mod were statistically insignificant; i.e., no conclusion could be drawn between the mod and having any effect on cooling.

If that doesn't make much sense to you, basically in certain environments I've seen my temps drop by 2*C but other times go up by 1*C. In the end, it made a negligible difference. I have also tested this with a NZXT Cyro LX cooler with the fans pointing towards the bottom of the notebook and it made no real difference as well.

The reason for this is because of the cooling system. Unlike conventional notebooks, these MSI G-Series notebooks draw air from the top of the keyboard rather than from the bottom. Notice the lack of a intake vent for the fan. There's only two that blow out. The slits in other places are to give breathing room to the other components. With and without the mod, my SSD and HDD never exceeded 40*C and my RAM never exceeded 45*C.

My 2 cents: If you wanna have some fun and tinker around, do the mod. If you don't want to risk anything, then don't bother. You're not missing out on anything anyways.

post-4440-1449499361869_thumb.jpg

Nebbors,

I think you'll be happy to know that MSI has implemented a pretty good cooling system. I have done the mod as well, see the attachment below, and I have found that the results of the cooling mod were statistically insignificant; i.e., no conclusion could be drawn between the mod and having any effect on cooling.

If that doesn't make much sense to you, basically in certain environments I've seen my temps drop by 2*C but other times go up by 1*C. In the end, it made a negligible difference. I have also tested this with a NZXT Cyro LX cooler with the fans pointing towards the bottom of the notebook and it made no real difference as well.

The reason for this is because of the cooling system. Unlike conventional notebooks, these MSI G-Series notebooks draw air from the top of the keyboard rather than from the bottom. Notice the lack of a intake vent for the fan. There's only two that blow out. The slits in other places are to give breathing room to the other components. With and without the mod, my SSD and HDD never exceeded 40*C and my RAM never exceeded 45*C.

My 2 cents: If you wanna have some fun and tinker around, do the mod. If you don't want to risk anything, then don't bother. You're not missing out on anything anyways.

I think I will pass on the mod for now. :) I was just responding since there was no update on it in a while.

• 1 month later...

I should be the first person in the US with a production gt60-0ne-249US. It should be here Friday before 10:30AM... have a samsung 840-pro 256 waiting to be installed when I get it.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a y580, but right when I was about to purchase it, I found this laptop. Been waiting for it to get in stock, and thankfully Ken at Gentechpc hooked it up. I have been calling him constantly, and he called me yesterday telling me a few came in today! Gave me the option to get it next day air (to texas) instead of 3 day, so I hopped on it. They came in 10 minutes before their shipment for the day left their warehouse, and they managed to get it out! They had a 4gb upgrade for free (to 16gb), and threw the stick in the box so I can install it here instead of waiting for them to install it. No biggie, I have the ssd waiting for it here.

If you need me to get you any information/dumps or anything like that, just let me know or send me a pm! I'm a tinkerer, so I'd love to flash an unlocked bios for the board or gpu. Still reading the threads here.

Thank you for the amazing work you all do here.

Hi i know the gt60 0NE some variant comes with the super raid pcb. I upgraded my gt60 0NC with gtx680m from eurocom and i am pretty pleased with it but is it possible to buy the super raid msata pcb or controller off the shelf? I ask around msi and none will sell it or no reply from emails.

I upgraded my gt60 0NC with gtx680m from eurocom

Would just like to ask again those gtx680m cards from eurocom is compatible with msi gt60-onc? Or is standard mxm board that can be fitted to sager, alienware laptops too? thnx

- - - Updated - - -

I'm really liking my GT60 so far. That 680M is a beast of a card too.

Oh!!! the upgrade itch cant resist!!!!..... lol

Would just like to ask again those gtx680m cards from eurocom is compatible with msi gt60-onc? Or is standard mxm board that can be fitted to sager, alienware laptops too? thnx

- - - Updated - - -

Oh!!! the upgrade itch cant resist!!!!..... lol

Hi, yes you can use the bios from eurocom its not the original msi gt60 bios though when i got it, i need to use a modded driver. If you dun want the hassle of modding the drivers,

You can flash to a msi gt60 vbios it works too turbo boost also working but you might experience some throttling if you overlock too high. The eurocom vbios has a much oc capability.

Thanks Trigger

So all gtx680m cards can flash bios to any vendor cards except from dell bios right? I am planning to get one from eurocom early next year though.. But wait.... I got an msi gt60-onc. Will the GPU heatsink for gtx670M fit on a 680m card? And just get new thermal pads? thanks :joyous:

Can also tell me the link where u got the modded drivers? Thanks again

---

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask this question. But can a GTX670M be updated with a different vendor vbios? Just like with the GTX680M? Just to find out which bios can overclock much better?

The eurocom bios is msi but its not the original gt60 bios, yeah that bios is good enough for overclocking, i happen to live in a hot country and i don't wanna see my temps go up to about 88 so i flashed to a msi gt60 stock bios.

Even on stock clocks it can handle almost every game you throw at it, i only overclock a bit if i want to game in 3d with tridef. Here is a link if you going to use Eurocom bios.

Geforce 306.02 - Modded - Dox's Customised Geforce Releases - LaptopVideo2Go Forums

The Eurocom msi bios is very weird, those drivers i modded and install had optimus issue, even the drivers from eurocom drivers is not working for me. What i do is install dox drivers first, then mod the latest driver to install.

If you flash to stock msi bios you can install any drivers without modding.

Installation is pretty easy, fill up the gap with thermal pads on your gtx670m heatsink, You will not need to use the x bracket. As long as you get idling temps 38-40 your good to go ( I live in singapore and its very hot here)

Good luck.

You considered lucky le. I bought in may when ivy bridge jsut came out i bought the first variant gt60. The gpu gtx670m was the fastest back then. No choice have to resort to upgrade my laptop via ebay as no vendors in SG will sell you the parts.

They want you to sell and buy new laptops instead thats why i bought msi and alienware. Samsung and asus or toshiba is definetly out for me as their gpu mxm is slightly modded.

Hey guys,

I have the gt60 w/ 680m. So far my setup is 3730qm, 32gb ram, samsung 840-pro 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd and a few other goodies. So far I'm playing with win8 to see if I like it or not. Running a 4gb ramdisk for temp files along with downloads / torrents to save read/write cycles on the sdd and keep the hdd parked as often as possible. As of now, if I'm not actively watching a movie without preparation, my hdd stays parked and there's almost no writes to the ssd. I had a few programs actively writing logs to the ssd constantly, so they get written into the ramdisk then saved over every hour to the ssd to save writes. Since setting up the ramdisk and keeping things idle I've actually increased battery life a good amount along with a few other tweaks. SO far I love this laptop. I built it for video editing / 3d modeling / 2d modeling for work. Let's me writes projects, then during the day I just transfer the cut paths to my plasma table box and cut away.

I may redo the drive setup here pretty soon. I can drop the blueray burner into an external enclosure, so I was thinking of maybe running 2x 1tb hdds in sata3 mode striping for a bit better performance from them.. I haven't decided yet.

I still need to helicopter tape the whole laptop to keep it clean.

@trigger

Can tell me what name of merchant in ebay you bought your 680m? much better to send me via message. Any brand of nvdia GTX680M is good to get? Like Alienware, CLevo, or Eurocom? And do you have ESD strap & mat while changing the card? Or just DYI to avoid static while replacing the card. Thanks

@trigger

Can tell me what name of merchant in ebay you bought your 680m? much better to send me via message. Any brand of nvdia GTX680M is good to get? Like Alienware, CLevo, or Eurocom? And do you have ESD strap & mat while changing the card? Or just DYI to avoid static while replacing the card. Thanks

I bought the card from eurocom but a clevo card should work fine too since you can flash the vbios to the original msi gt60 bios. Even if you buy from eurocom its not the original gt60 bios you still have to use modded drivers. I did flash my card to msi gt60 vbios and turbo boost is working too. I didn't use ESD straps or mat, i just use my bare hands to fix it without gloves.

@trigger

Thanks. so these vbios'e from slv7 http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/1847-nvidia-kepler-vbios-mods-overclocking-editions-modified-clocks-voltage-tweaks.html

for MSI is good to update right? No need for a modded driver? thanks

Hmm i tried those slv7 bios on my alienware but not on my msi gt60. Reason very simple alienware has better cooling. Even overvolted msi bios i get like max temps 78 on my alienware. Msi is different, on stock bios is about near 80 @ full load without turbo fan.

Overclocking with afterburner + 135 clocks i get like 85 temps with turbo fan on. If my msi gonna use those bios i think it will hit 90s temp which i think is really too high.