MSI GT60/GT70 with 680M GTX confirmed

Xonar

I don't know if anyone here is aware of this, but recently MSI joined the ranks of Alienware and Clevo offering BOTH the GT70 and GT60 with the 680M GTX. Some SKUs will also support their Super RAID (2 MSATA 6.0Gb/s SSD's in RAID 0). We now have a 3-way race!

Press Release Article: MSI GT70 and GT60 Featuring NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M Pack Quite a Wallop | techPowerUp

With a controllable EC these babies should be able to OC sky high while maintaining incredibly cool. Makes me want to throw one of these into my 16F2, although the 7970M is just as tempting. :welcoming:

• Thumbs Up 2

• Founder

Plus the MSI 680M seems to be able to increase the core clock vs the locked Dell 680M. So those of us with Alienware systems may want to consider trying to get a hold of a few MSI 680Ms.

Yep, the Clevo and MSI versions will be highly sought after, unless it is safe to flash those vBIOS on to a Dell card and remove that pesky lock.

Err, looks like it's solved with the new BIOS svl7 just posted.

Sent from my Sensation

Clevo and MSI 680M are exactly alike by the looks of it - and they are monster in these barebones - check that in my MSI GT70 barebone:

GTX680M overvoltée a 1.037v - 1037/2550mhz:

680m1037.jpg

680m10373dmark11.jpg

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Genuine Intel® CPU @ 2.70GHz,Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-1762 score: P7956 3DMarks

• Thumbs Up 5

I wish I could... Not even sure whether the Nvidia vbios recognizes optimus automatically or not. Nvidia doesn't release any piece of information regarding vbios / drivers... time to quote Linus:

post-80-14494993430579_thumb.gif

• Thumbs Up 4

Grrr... My prospects are looking grimmer for the 680M in the 16F2. Worst case scenario is a Dell 680M 2GB card.

Svl7, do you know if the Dell OC'ing lockout is vBIOS related? Could it be circumvented in a system other than an AW?

It's BIOS related, I was really surprised to learn this... the R4 is now able to OC with the latest BIOS (A05). It can't overclock the Clevo 660m in my M15x by using software... but I'm sure Clevo users can. It's weird, really seems to be BIOS related. So confusing.

During the 3dmark11 run, temps were hovering around 70-72°C, this was with the 1.037v vbios.

Though I think there is a glitch - I've never been able to reproduce this score which basically has a high Graphics score and a very low Physics score for a 3820QM. The next benches shows the normal Physics 9000 but Graphics score lower 7900 - P score is 7850.

Will try to game for a long period whenever I got some spare time and keep you updated!

• Thumbs Up 3

Indeed, it sounds like some throttling is going on with the CPU. Are you using TS?

Also, are you going to be able to test the card in the 16F2 with the MSI vBIOS? This pretty much determines my next upgrade. :D

I will guys when I got some spare time Xonar ! I also want this 680M to work in the 16F2, believe me :)

For the throttle, yeah this is actually my only run where the CPU did throttle - a normal run would be this: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M video card benchmark result - Genuine Intel® CPU @ 2.70GHz,Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-1762 score: P7840 3DMarks

Though you can see that my GPU score decreased - everything has been tested with TS 5.0b3.

Will try to fit an i5 CPU and see if my Graphics score increases.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
And i just got mine with the 675m... but im still happy with it.

The 680m looks like a beast. I wonder how hot it gets

My max temp at 1037 mhz core and 1200 mhz memory was 79C.

Sent from my GT-N7000

You've got a M18X :P can't be compared to a MSI NB ! Though @ 1037/2500 @ BF3, max GPU temp was 81°C here (MP, 32 players Bazar, 30min of play) - but now should be even lower with the bottom panel mods:

img2012080100336.jpg

img2012080100335.jpg

img2012080100338.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

I haven't had time to run some proper games/benchmarks with it - I got some white plastic canvas/mesh from eBay (had to paint it) and just cut a rectangular piece that I sticked with 3M double sticky tape - for the hole I just used a circular cutter and then filed it so it looks the business.

Though I think my hole is too big, on the next panel I'll make it smaller.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Founder
680M is great. My next target will be getting a 680M on my GT780DX.

Just got a fully working i7-2920XM on ebay for $425 USD ^_^

Hope I can get a 680M for about the same price

:haha:

If the cpu is retail then you got a decent deal, congrats.

Sent from my GT-N7000