[M14x R2] VBIOS mods - unlocked overclocking limits, voltage tweaks, modified clocks

svl7

• 2 weeks later...

This fix is just what I was looking for, thanks! I'm buying a new SSD for my Alienware M14x R1 and it would be a shame to be limited to SATA2 speeds. Do people have M14x R1 recommendations for SSDs? I'm considering the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, as that seems to be the best performance and isn't too ridiculously expensive.

I admit im tempted to try this and scare in the same time =p Amazing job svl7. unsure if this question was ask already since im unable to keep track of this thread atm. But if is possible to have a fully unlocked bios or will it required a lots of work?

• 3 weeks later...
I followed the instructions provided by svl, the same instructions that bricked yours. Either you did something you shouldn't have (say, pulling the flash drive before the process is finished) or the last resort firmware loading mechanism isn't 100% reliable.

mine to had the same problem.....i extracted the .fb file from a03 and then renamed into m14xr2.hdr......placed it in a fat32 pendrive....plugged it in usb2.0 .....stutdown....removed powercord and by pressing end key plugged the powercord.....the flashprocess started....beeping went for 3 minutes....then no beep no restart....the system just kept running..After around 1hour i removed the powercord and pendrive but the lights and fans were still running...so i unscrewed my laptop and removed the battery where it finally switchedoff,..but after that the laptop went dead...bricked...

customer support replaced my motherboard....

Have i done anything wrong in the above steps?

Im using windows8...should i have disabled the UEFI boot?

And does this a03 modded bios has unlocked temperature(ie does it still throttle at 67c??)

Please help me with this....i realy wanted to overclock my gpu..

thanks

I recommend using the unlocked A11 bios from this thread instead.

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x/1787-%5Bm14x-r2%5D-vbios-mod-higher-boost-clocks-test-versions-only.html

If you use the "FPT" method you don't have to use the blind flasher so if you follow the instructions correctly the risk of bricking your system is low.

• 2 weeks later...
I recommend using the unlocked A11 bios from this thread instead.

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x/1787-%5Bm14x-r2%5D-vbios-mod-higher-boost-clocks-test-versions-only.html

If you use the "FPT" method you don't have to use the blind flasher so if you follow the instructions correctly the risk of bricking your system is low.

Can I use the FPT method to go from official A12 to Modded A11?

Or do I need to drop to official A04 first?

Also, soory for the noobie questions but what is a blind flash....or even better is there a link describing it?

I've only had my M14x R2 a week and I don't need a huge paperweight!

How about overvolting? :P

I'm all in. Just need to get some nice cooling pad. For now just using some junk to raise my notebook about an inch above the desk - 90-91C on the CPU during stress testing vs. 95-96 when it sits on the desk. 106.5 FSB seems to be the limit though and probably overvolting might give us some more performance. The GPU is another story - I think it can take some undervolting, Now going to read the Ratinox's thoughs on undervolting. It's just that the GPU throttles when it reaches 67C, so I guess undervolting might solve that issue.

P.S.

I'm wondering what would hapen if I increase the "Core Current Limit" - I mean more current means more power draw and/or more volts I guess?

Use ThrottleStop to disable BDPROCHOT. This prevents the CPU from throttling the GPU.

Disable CPU Turbo with the unlocked firmware. This keeps the CPU temperatures below the point where it would need to throttle the GPU.

Hello svl7. I asked about this in another thread and then just found this one, so, I think I should probably ask here...

I've been looking around for a modded vBIOS for my 650m's in my Y500. Would this vBIOS work on my 650m's? Or is it just for the M14xR2? If it won't work on my 650m's, is there one that will? Thanks again for everything. Love reading your threads :D

EDIT: I'm running A11 unlocked and have successfully achieved +365(1200MHz)/+1000 although the GPU is throttling to 405MHz when it hits 64 degrees after 2 minutes. How do I stop this throttling?

I also tried 1180MHz and it throttles to 405MHz after 4 minutes at 61 degrees..

This is at 1180core/3000mem:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6558863

• 1 month later...
EDIT: I'm running A11 unlocked and have successfully achieved +365(1200MHz)/+1000 although the GPU is throttling to 405MHz when it hits 64 degrees after 2 minutes. How do I stop this throttling?

I also tried 1180MHz and it throttles to 405MHz after 4 minutes at 61 degrees..

This is at 1180core/3000mem:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,Alienware M14xR2

If you haven't repasted your notebook with high-quality paste that might very well help. Another thing you can do is disable turbo on the CPU, I have it disabled most of the time because the notebook runs cooler and it doesn't affect gaming performance. I can run my system with turbo on and the GPU overclocked without issues, but every system is slightly different and my environment could be cooler than yours.

Hi guys,

this is my first post here on techinferno!

I have an asus n76vz which comes equipped with a gt650m 2gb ddr3.

I downloaded the modded bios that svl7 made, opened with MMTOOL to extract the vbios but I can't seem to find it! :P

Can someone please tell me which GUID should I look for?

Thanks in advance

PS is this vbios compatible with ddr3?

Use ThrottleStop to disable BDPROCHOT. This prevents the CPU from throttling the GPU.

Disable CPU Turbo with the unlocked firmware. This keeps the CPU temperatures below the point where it would need to throttle the GPU.

• 1 month later...

i want to unlock the voltage too i only tryed msi afterburner +100 clock and +1000 memory but i need more power how can i unlock the voltage without the blind flash because i dont know how to do blind flash im a newbie..

hey, I am currently on A11 and whenever I try to flash back to A03, it gives me an SMI error code 0x25. I would just use the modded A11 BIOS, but I can't download any attachments from this site even though I have 5 posts... any help?

EDIT: Nevermind, just tried downloading the A11 file and it works now lol.