[M14x R2] VBIOS mods - unlocked overclocking limits, voltage tweaks, modified clocks

svl7

I've been following this awesome BIOS work, I can't wait to give it a try. I received my M14x R2 on Tuesday and I have some Thermal compound and some Fujipoly thermal pad on order to repaste and replace the thermal pads on the memory with some high quality ones. I am curious if it is possible for the mod to prevent undervolting at 65C? currently at 105/200 OC i am topping out at about 67-68C and dropping volts/speed. I'm hoping this wont be as much of an issue with the repaste/repad but if theres a way around it flat out that would be incredible. Thanks and keep up the amazing work!

Kaldon

I OC'd To +330 and +940

It is almost Stable.. But the Probem is that the Core Speed Fluctuates @540 And then Top But Mostly Stays @540

Almost stable isn't stable. Lower your clocks.

The vbios is digitally signed, my mod messes up the certificate so it's invalid. So far it doesn't matter since Nvidia hasn't activated vbios checks in the driver... yet.

I am curious if it is possible for the mod to prevent undervolting at 65C? currently at 105/200 OC i am topping out at about 67-68C and dropping volts/speed. I'm hoping this wont be as much of an issue with the repaste/repad but if theres a way around it flat out that would be incredible. Thanks and keep up the amazing work!

Ah yes, I think this got mentioned already, guess I forgot it... the voltage drops at a certain temp? Well, I can try to force it to a higher level... tell me the reported voltage values.

Ah yes, I think this got mentioned already, guess I forgot it... the voltage drops at a certain temp? Well, I can try to force it to a higher level... tell me the reported voltage values.

I had to overclock to get the unit hot enough to hit 65C, its fairly cold in my house right now. but you can see at 2012-08-04 17:26:43 in the attached gpu-z file that the clocks begin to drop there and go waay down as well as the voltage fluctuations when it occurs. If you need anything else let me know.

Furmark.txt

Thanks in advance,

Kaldon

Almost stable isn't stable. Lower your clocks.

The vbios is digitally signed, my mod messes up the certificate so it's invalid. So far it doesn't matter since Nvidia hasn't activated vbios checks in the driver... yet.

Alright Got your Point. Yes The Voltage Drops Around 65C and i am now using PState 5 Which Makes the Core and Mem run at Maxx Clocks..

Also this is My Clock Right Now!!

http://img.techpowerup.org/120804/nvidia_20120805_090905.png

I attached my Pc to my Bravia 32" 1080p ..

With ultra Settings I Got 30FPS in BF3!! I was Shocked.. is this Correct ??

My Memory Clock Doesnt Go to +1000! It just crashes is it normal??

And can we unlock shaderclock as we had in Gt555m??

And Also Are you working on Some Ways to get Higher clocks..

Hi !

svl7, I have a question for you ! I saw you modified many bios for AW laptops, and I own an Inspiron 7720 (650m 2Go DDR5).

I was wondering if you looked into that and if you were planning on tweaking that bios as well. For the time being, the core can't take more than 1030 stable because it runs at 1.012 V.

I have the feeling other laptops run at 1.10V, and that's why then can achieve 1150-1200 Mhz.

Thank you ! :)

• Founder
Hello again, when do you think you can upload the latest a04 bios with overclocking mod mate?
hello svl7, your work is really appreciated just wondered what the ETA is on the Alenware m14x R2 A04 modded bios is going to be? Many thanks

Please don't ask for ETAs, svl7 is doing it in his free time, so the answer is - when it's ready.

----

Asylumized!

Thanks for your hard work.

It's at 65 degrees C that the voltage or the GPU clocks get throttled down, which is strange, as the older GTX 460Ms can take 85 degrees C usages and run with no issues.

Looking forward to your Vbios!

@svl7 ..

I am Trying to Learn how to edit Vbios and All..

i m a Newbie..

But i know this software called nvflash.. with it i can save bios and all..

i read a lot of stuff all over the net..

the problem i am facing right now .. is

when i give the command

nvflash --save anything.rom

i get an error msg

This

6qNeT.png

Quick question @svl7 , is it possible for any way to raise the throttle from 65 degrees on the 650m? possibly to 80 - 90? It's a real bitch this throttling lol.

edit: oops! looks like someone just asked this! Oh well, looks like i'm not the only one that wishes for it :P

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, I don't know... never completely read through the warranty agreement, but I guess they somehow exclude systems with modified BIOS files from the warranty. However, it can't be found out easily, and in this case the mod is really not that severe... I simply changed the setting back to the one A05 and earlier BIOS revisions had... so technically it's no code in there which hasn't already been found in the official Dell BIOS releases :)

As I said before, Dell probably didn't deactivate SATA III for no reason, however, they can't void the warranty of A05 users either....

Anyway, to make it simple - don't worry, just go ahead and flash, you'll be fine.

• Thumbs Up 1