[M14x R2] VBIOS mods - unlocked overclocking limits, voltage tweaks, modified clocks

svl7

I recall somewhere he said that it would be close to impossible without a hardware mod of some sort. I'll try and dig it up.

EDIT: Yes, here's the post:

The problem is flashing, from the testing so far I currently have no way for you guys to flash the modified bios without a hardware mod or soldering.

And I don't have a machine to test my ideas myself... that's another difficulty.

If you want a bios chip with an unlocked bios let me know, I'll sell you one, but this would require soldering.

• 2 months later...

Hi!

After installing vbios, i can change the clock freqency of GPU (my is gt650 m). Right?

What about programs for do that? MSI afterburner?

Becouse i have a little iusse with MSI afterburner: I have windows 8, with latest nvidia driver( 331.65). While i'm playing, MSi afterburner shows only 405 mhz (clock frequency), but other programs (GPU-Z and Hwinfo64) show the expected value, 745 mhz. So i think MSI afterburner has some iusses with 331.54 driver, and my problem is: if MSI afterburenr shows wrong value, how can i safety overclock the gpu?

Another problem: with 331.65 driver, the turbo boost doesn't work, infact the clock frequancy is always 745 mhz max, never 835 mhz.

What do you suggest to do, for overclock the gpu?

I have a MX14 R2 thats updated to all the latest stuff from dells website. Also the latest Nividia gt 650m drivers. Im looking to get a little more out of the graphics card for playing need for speed rivals on high. Right now I have to turn stuff down to med and low to get good fps. Would flashing it with this stuff help much for this?

Edit... later on after flashing. It did help

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Is it possible that are different versions of motherboards are in the m14r2 ?? I cant go so high with my m14r2 that crash in games by 250mhz or my cooling paste is to old i should renew that is that possible my m14r2 is 1 1/2 years old an on daily gaming.

• 9 months later...
I have an alienware m14x r2 with a intel i7 3630qm with 12gb of ddr3 memory and a geforce gt 650m would I be able to overclock both the cpu and gpu if I installed a modded bios?

I don't know about the CPU but you can try download Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to do that.

As for the gpu, yes you can overclock past +135 Mhz with the modded bios

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I thought I was going crazy with the throttling until I found this forum. Can't thank you enough. The entire time thinking I was doing something wrong. Should have known Dell would be responsible for the throttling.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2012 at 9:04 AM, svl7 said:

Does anyone have a link to this bios? I'm on a03 and id like to flash it, but the link isn't working for me, thanks

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2012 at 9:04 AM, svl7 said:

Alienware M14x R2 - Modified BIOS versions containing tweaked VBIOS files

Similar to the original M14x (aka R1 nowadays), the GPU of the M14x R2 is astonishingly powerful and has much more power than it reveals at stock settings.

The relatively low default clock and base boost as well as the apparent +135MHz core overclock limit holds back a lot of GPU power. These BIOS versions here will unlock this software overclocking limit and / or increase the clocks of your GPU and allow you to get much more power from your system.

Mods based on M14x R2 BIOS A03:

- A03 @ stock clocks, unlocked overclocking limits post-80-14494993390503_thumb.jpg

- more to come

Instructions are included, refer to the READ ME file.

Please provide feedback and leave a comment.

I'm also still looking for some versions to be tested once in a while, if you're interested please take a look at this thread: http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x/1787-%5Bm14x-r2%5D-vbios-mod-higher-boost-clocks-test-versions-only-5.html

F.A.Q.:

• Why do I need to flash the BIOS in order to get higher clocks? Isn't the VBIOS responsible for the GPU settings?
    Answer:

Hidden Content

• How can I revert to the original Dell BIOS?
    Answer:

Hidden Content

• What exactly got changed compared to the original BIOS?
    Answer:

Hidden Content

Credits:

I want to thank all the testers, especially @Stevenxowens792 and @deadbydawn, also @lh6kean, @thanats007 and all the guys I forgot to mention.

And remember, you are responsible for the changes you make on your system, flash at your own risk.

M14x_R2_BIOS_A03_-_[unlocked].zip

• 3 months later...