Help, 7970m & M15X, will auto turnoff when gpu temp reach 85℃?

saby

sorry for the language, not english native user.

7970m is from DELL, and my cpu is 940xm (QS).

eveything just loosk fine when i finish upgrading.

but then i try to run Crisis 2, after 10min laptop auto turnoff.

try to find problem, so i run FurMark

i find it always turnoff when temp reach 85℃.

by the way

i also test the cpu, find the same thing will happen when 100℃

i cant figure out.

how u guys control the tempeture below 80℃??

Hi, welcome to T|I

Your card runs too hot, a 7970m shouldn't get that hot... and even if it gets that hot is shouldn't shutdown at this temp.

Make sure your heatsink is making proper contact with the gpu. Which backplate do you use?

Also besides repasting you can slightly lower your temps by lowering the gpu voltage.

Guest Alienware-L_Porras
sorry for the language, not english native user.

7970m is from DELL, and my cpu is 940xm (QS).

eveything just loosk fine when i finish upgrading.

but then i try to run Crisis 2, after 10min laptop auto turnoff.

try to find problem, so i run FurMark

i find it always turnoff when temp reach 85℃.

by the way

i also test the cpu, find the same thing will happen when 100℃

i cant figure out.

how u guys control the tempeture below 80℃??

Did you apply new thermal paste to that Video card?

I think that you should update the BIOS to the latest version and also make sure that the fans are clean of dust. You can also try using a cooling pad to lower those temperatures.

I know that the 7970m was not meant for this platform but it would be amazing to have it running perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me just jump in into this thread.

I got the same issue with overheating. As you can see on the following images, I fitted the thermal pads in the right position as shown in the example. Also as far as I can see the heat pipe has been fitted correctly because the paste got squeezed to the site propperly.

Brand new thermal paste and pads used. Cleaned heat sink and used a new fan. But I still got temperature issues. When I removed the plastic cover underneath and placed the laptop a bit above the desk it became better. Also the fan does blow out the heat, so the heat pipes work fine. Is that card really producing that temps?? I don't think so...

I just experience these issues when running furmarking or other benchmarks. As soon as I'm in 2D-mode again e.g. Desktop or internet surfing, the GPU temps are going back to about 40°C

Just check the pix, maybe I got it terribly wrong. Unfortunately I can't test it anymore due to bad flashing. Takes a couple of weeks until I get it back from svl7.

my card:

post-4834-14494993476378_thumb.jpg

example:

post-4834-14494993474691_thumb.jpg

btw svl7: can't find your mail address, maybe too early in the morning :24:

Check the 6970m thread in the M15x forum... you need to modify the backplate when using the one from Dell, else the pressure between heatsink and die is way too low and the temps too high.

For email click here.

• Founder

Just for reference I am hitting 97C but no shutdowns when I play Metro 2033 maxed out (stock clocks and undervolted @1.025V)... and I use IC Diamond everywhere, no pads... We need a better heatsink like those on R3, R4 and M18x

Just for reference I am hitting 97C but no shutdowns when I play Metro 2033 maxed out (stock clocks and undervolted @1.025V)... and I use IC Diamond everywhere, no pads... We need a better heatsink like those on R3, R4 and M18x

That's a bit strange that your card is running that high and others shut down between 85-90°C

I got the right backplate fitted as shown on the picture.

post-4834-14494993476566_thumb.jpg

But as mentioned in the 6970m guide, the screw holes come up a bit too much. That's possibly why others and I got such high temps on the card. Maybe it's worth to mention that in the 7970m guide?

Here the pic of the screw hole.

post-4834-14494993476811_thumb.jpg

svl7, I can't open your any links here in the forum. I always get this message:

Jahnsinn, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

account is activated...

I also can't open my own pics or click a link in any sig, for example from stamatis. I get redirected to the smiley overview O_o

edit: all working now except the redirects in the sig

• 3 weeks later...

I also had this issue but I use 6970m instead. Compiling all the answers from other forum said that it's about heat issue. However like yours, my temp does not even reach 90 and it just shuts down and restart. Lowering voltage, lowering clocks, changing paste and pads, trying new hardwares (ram, cpu, 9 cell, 240w adapter), updating Bios, drivers, just doesn't help. I get shutdowns in BF3, Dota 2, Skyrim, all of these just makes me want to give up and sell it off...

have you adjusted the holes of your backplate as in svl7's guide described?

"The backplate problem part 2" @ http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m15x/390-%5Bguide%5D-m15x-amd-6970m-6990m-everything-you-need-know.html

i have a 260m backplate. so i don't think i need to do any grinding since it's already low. however i'm confused about the first part of the backplate problem. does it mean that the backplate suppose to have a larger square ? if i have the 260m backplate, what do i have to modify? thanks for the help in advance

If you have a 260m backplate you got a problem anyway, it doesn't work with the 7970m, you're likely to damage your card while using this backplate.

sorry to confuse or anything, but I have the 6970m, not the 7970m.

• 4 years later...

Sorry for the thread revival. I am also experiencing thermal shutdown. I replaced the thermal pads and paste with arctix stuff. I lifted the laptop (which helped a couple degrees) but everynow and then it would shut down. Has anybody found a fix? I will try undervolting. Thank you for the information here!

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2017 at 4:08 AM, tesseract19 said:

Sorry for the thread revival. I am also experiencing thermal shutdown. I replaced the thermal pads and paste with arctix stuff. I lifted the laptop (which helped a couple degrees) but everynow and then it would shut down. Has anybody found a fix? I will try undervolting. Thank you for the information here!

I a using a Alienware m17x R2 system. I installed the AMD HD 7079m in my machine and had this shutdown at 85 degrees issue. I change the screws on the heatsink and made sure the heatsink had good contact with the gpu chip. I also used a bit more thermal paste than normal. I got like 20 c degrees in differences. Where I before would hit 85 degrees in no time with the UE4 elemental demo set on epic I would now only reach the 61. In skyddive 3Dmarks bench I would no longer see a shutdown of the machine like one minute in. It would bench all through and I would reach max 77 degrees. I also use HWinfo Custom fan control to control the on board system fans. at 60 my fans will hit 7000. Beside that I  use a Coolermaster U3 pale to keep the machine of the table and all three fans on that has been located below the AMD HD 7970m Dell card.  It now spins like a cat and crunch numbers in a way no one could dream about on a machine from 2010. My CPU is a Intel Core i7-920XM with Turbo boosting enabled in the A10 bios. 

Point is that make sure that the heatsink has firm contact(changing screws might be needed) and that you use a not too cheap termal paste(I use Prolimatech CPU Thermal Paste any other brand would be fine as well) and make sure to flatten the paste out all over the chip and use enough to make the heatsink and the gpu chip connect well. I spent a long time research on this all over the internet. I had to open the machine and try like 4-5 times before I had fixed the overheating issues and the shutdown. 

Drivers. You need to get the latest drivers. I installed the Catalyst Control Center 13 plus at first, then I installed the Catalyst Software Suit also. I also allowed Windows 10 to install the latest AMD HD 7970m drivers. I ended up with the Crimsons 17 something version. That fixed another issue with the core clock speed getting locked at 300 idle all the time.

Here is the bench before the right drivers installed:

https://www.3dmark.com/sd/4983982

And here are the result after all has been done the right way:

https://www.3dmark.com/sd/4985058

I went from:

Graphics Test 1
15.51 fps
Graphics Test 2
21.37 fps

to:

Graphics Test 1
75.97 fps
Graphics Test 2
85.02 fps

As you can see drivers are also important. 

Hope this help others who are still having fun with their awesome Alienware m (SOMETHING) x machines. 

Anyway I find it extremely amazing to see that my Alienware m17x R2 sytem here in 2018(bought in 2010) runs that strong on a i7-920XM CPU(upgraded last year) and a AMD HD 7970m card upgraded this year. Damn awesome machines.   

Edited by Dwarf_King
clarify some stuff about the thermal paste