MSI G-Series Unlocked BIOS

Xonar

Intresting, could you share details of how you do this ? what tools would I need..; I have also been experimenting with flashing a stock bios but I always get the error - unable to get secure connection. This happens in dos using afudos and also in windows using afuwin !! Is my bios locked down ?

It's called in circuit programming, you need a programmer and an adapter which in this case is a sop8 clamp.

By the way just wanted to ask, are you on GT70 2OD? or similar?

I heard they have this issue of limited power from PSU when overclocking and it starts draining battery to fulfill the power needs?

If that is the case, i am not so sure that Throttlestop will work.

If you can give me your model number, maybe i can ask someone

Has anyone gone through the trouble to replace the thermal interface on their GPU/CPU in their MSI G-Series? I generally replace the white paste with something better in every component I buy but haven't taken the time for my GX60 yet...

I have a GE60 and have done a repaste. As opposed to the GE70 series, the GPU and CPU on my laptop share the same heatsink and fan. Doing a repaste for me only had a few degrees difference. Also, at least on my model, some of the GPU RAM have thermal tape which fills a gap between the RAM and the heatsink. Be careful if you do have them, because if you tear them then it may cause a gap between the RAM and heatsink, wihich will adversely increase your GPU temps...if you do happen to tear them, just buy some new thermal tape and apply them where the old ones are...

By the way just wanted to ask, are you on GT70 2OD? or similar?

I heard they have this issue of limited power from PSU when overclocking and it starts draining battery to fulfill the power needs?

If that is the case, i am not so sure that Throttlestop will work.

If you can give me your model number, maybe i can ask someone

Hey buddy:) yea I have the ms-1763 barebone just like GT-70 2OD.do you think is bios-ec problem?also I use a modded dell slim psu 240w.thanks man. I also tried the throttlestop 6 with no good results:(

Hey buddy:) yea I have the ms-1763 barebone just like GT-70 2OD.do you think is bios-ec problem?also I use a modded dell slim psu 240w.thanks man. I also tried the throttlestop 6 with no good results:(

Do you have Intel XTU and MSI Afterburner? Right after benchmarking if you can read the Intel XTU CPU frequency graph, if your Processor is throttling then it can make sure. Otherwise a 240W PSU should be more then enough.. i will go ask someone for BIOS/EC updates but meanwhile if only your processor is downclocking then Throttlestop should stop it, Did you untick BD-PROCHOT and ticked multiplier to turbo and Turned on throttlestop? Just untick everything and only tick EIST and Multiplier.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi xonar . I have an msi gt70 onc. This bios it works fine whith my nb???

By the way im having some issues whith mi ssd disk ocz aguility 3 its working at sata 2 speed,i put the disk in the sata III bay. I try with the LPM REG and nothig, the ITRS it detects like 6gb disk speed, but reads at 200 mb/s and write at 180 mb/s

I hpe you can help me

Ps. Sorry mi english.

Hey, it's me again :D

I tried to flash the new E16FKAMS.D0G BIOS on my gx60 3ae (hitman edition. richland apu, but still 7970, not 8970) und now my windows only boots in secure-mode (or whatever it's name is, in english.. german it's "Abgesicherter Modus"). I had E16FKAMS.D06 before. Eralier I read a lot about different bioses for differend harddrive configurations. Now the russian website (i got mine from russia) and the us-website have the same bios, the D0G but it doesn't seem to work O-o Any experiences?

Sorry, if this looked offtopic, I thought some might know..

But I also have some interesting informations for those who halfbricked their notebooks:

Yesterday I had it in this state again: AFUDOS.EXE E16FKAMS.D0G /P /N /K /RECOVERY. It rebootet, screen black but access to all connected drives, at least after Ctrl+Home while restarting. But it didn't load the bios from cd or flashdrive. The solution was quite simple: Disconnect the battery/cable on the mainboard to flush the settings.

Deleting the settings triggers the notebook to search for another BIOS on any drive, if it's named properly. Still not sure which it wants: the name I entered ( ~.D0G ), the name the bios before had ( ~.D06 ) or AMIBOOT.ROM, because I had all of them on the drive just to make sure, the damn thing will live again. But then after about 30sec it rebooted into the new BIOS.

Good luck to you!

Do you have Intel XTU and MSI Afterburner? Right after benchmarking if you can read the Intel XTU CPU frequency graph, if your Processor is throttling then it can make sure. Otherwise a 240W PSU should be more then enough.. i will go ask someone for BIOS/EC updates but meanwhile if only your processor is downclocking then Throttlestop should stop it, Did you untick BD-PROCHOT and ticked multiplier to turbo and Turned on throttlestop? Just untick everything and only tick EIST and Multiplier.

yea I untick everything you said to me except the EIST and MUITIPLIER. with no real difference:(did you find out any new updates(bios or ec?)

I will go have a look meanwhile if you can provide a screenshot from Intel XTU, it can atleast show that throttling is from EC/BIOS.. Throttlestop should work in almost all cases but lets see if there are any updates.

Can you give me your current EC/BIOS full name? its needed.

I will go have a look meanwhile if you can provide a screenshot from Intel XTU, it can atleast show that throttling is from EC/BIOS.. Throttlestop should work in almost all cases but lets see if there are any updates.

Can you give me your current EC/BIOS full name? its needed.

here is a picture from xtu while I was oced my 780m:post-4314-14494996128346_thumb.jpg

As you can see on 99% im running at 3.19mhz 4 cores:(and at 45-50% on 3.49mhz)post-4314-14494996128841_thumb.jpghere is the 3dmark11 result:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4800MQ,Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-1763

here is a picture from xtu while I was oced my 780m:[ATTACH=CONFIG]9039[/ATTACH]

As you can see on 99% im running at 3.19mhz 4 cores:(and at 45-50% on 3.49mhz)[ATTACH=CONFIG]9040[/ATTACH]here is the 3dmark11 result:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-4800MQ,Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. MS-1763

Tbh, i cant see any throttling issues in here..

Unless ofcourse this algorithm changed in Haswell.. In Ivy bridge, While working on 4 cores the processor would normally run at 3.19 Ghz, on 2 cores it can max at 3.29 Ghz and at 1 core, it can max out at 3.39 Ghz..

Same is the case with you, while benchmarking your CPU runs at 3.19 Ghz, using all cores, and without that it runs at 3.49 ghz on 1 core.

Its normal and I cant really see throttling in there, the issue should be elsewhere, i will search to see if Haswell has this feature too. But anyways i will check EC/BIOS but to be sure if anyone else can verify this because i dont see any signs of throttling.

Edit: I checked and saw this "with Turbo Boost up to 3.5 GHz (for 4 active cores), 3.6 GHz (for 2 active cores) and 3.7 GHz (for 1 active core)." so basically you are running at lower clocks for all processor states..

Can you try Ticking "Clock modulation' and 'chipset modulation' to 100% too? In Throttlestop, and do try both versions.. meanwhile i posted for latest EC/BIOS, do you know your current EC/BIOS, post version numbers here

I was able to successfully flash the unlocked bios on my gt780r-012us. thanks xonar for the bios :D

I'm currently trying on different settings to make my integrated graphics card to work. What should be my settings, if I plan on running my notebook without the discrete graphics card? Thanks in advance.

I was able to successfully flash the unlocked bios on my gt780r-012us. thanks xonar for the bios :D

I'm currently trying on different settings to make my integrated graphics card to work. What should be my settings, if I plan on running my notebook without the discrete graphics card? Thanks in advance.

You can't enable it, it's not even wired in any way on the motherboard and if you enable it the laptop won't start.

So ive downloaded the unlocked bios for the GT70. I my self own a Msi GT70 ONE ( gtx 680m 4gb model )

Ive made my usb dos bootable put every file in the usb . and when i type : DIR -> Update.bat it says Getting bad flash information ?

What to do ?

Edit : Ive also tried to update the bios through Afudos with the following command : afudos /iMS_GT70.ROM /pbnc

Getting still the same error :Error - problem getting flash information

Other Edit :

I forgot to say with it when i bought the machine it was installed with windows 8 , but it had so much on-usefull crap of programms stock on it , so i did a clean windows 8 install my self .

Now have way more space on my ssd and runs a bit faster , but but ! if i set in the bios the settings to UEFI it doenst boot it goes directly into the bios again , doenst mather with proitity i do for boot up or if disable POXE ( if spell it correctly ) it works just fine if i set it to legancy !

I dont Wanna be rude . But is there anyone that can help me ? Refering to my prevorious post ?

I clue less what to do , and if i can flash at all?

regards ,

jean Paul

I personally have no idea if clean install in legacy bios prevented you from bios flash.

Try to format usb stick.via hp usb format tool in fat using dos bootable files.

Or create uefi bootable flash drive and set bios to uefi and try to boot from flashdrive.

I personally have no idea if clean install in legacy bios prevented you from bios flash.

Try to format usb stick.via hp usb format tool in fat using dos bootable files.

Or create uefi bootable flash drive and set bios to uefi and try to boot from flashdrive.

Cheers for the reply , I trieded to flash it in legancy mode with a dos bootable usb. which didnt work .

But it could be that it trough UEFI work , i still dont know why after a fresh windows 8 install i cant use UEFI anymore as boot up . Have to select legacy..

EDIT:is it possible that i just convert the bios.rom file to a bios.efi or .50X ? and doenst get the file damaged then?