MSI G-Series Unlocked BIOS

Xonar

?Guys, I need someone who also has a msi gt70 one, because i think the frame drops and lag i am experiencing is not normal, and while i am asking now, is it possible to disable optimus ( i.e the hd4000) and always force the gtx 680m on? I want this because starcraft 2 is detecting that i only can run low settings. Yes i have it hooked up to grid and also set to high performance. Now is my question: is it possible to flash an unlocked bios to disable the hd4000. I searched via google, but the answers i find are a bit conflicting. I was hoping if someone could care to elobarate whether he or she also has experienced the weird performance issues in starcraft 2. Thnx :D

No you can't disable optimus.

Sorry that I didn't answer for some time:

I had a USB drive with a FAT-floppy-bootable-image-something (there are tools on the web to make a bootable USB-drive..) and the BIOS. And I had a CD that had nothing but the BIOS. My BIOS-Version is for Richland E16FKAMS.D06 -> my modded Version of it has the same versionnumber. So I amed the original one (I made backups earlier..) "E16FKAMS.D06", put it on USB-drive and CD, put both in the notebook and between different tries I just let the notebook run as I read for further ideas how to recover on my pc. It tool 10-15mins to reboot into a working BIOS from USB/CD and I don't where it was taken from. All I can say is: you can try the same. Put your BIOS on bootable USB and on CD, connect USB, put in the CD, hold the buttons (ctrl+home? i think.. for me it was ctrl+fn+pgUp), holding the buttons start the notebook and wait, still holding the buttons. The best with the CD is: you definitelly hear it. It spins loud at the beginning, gets quieter then. That is normal. But if you still hold the buttons after some time it starts to spin again -> something inside your BIOS is still alive enough to try to read from CD -> win. Release the buttons and wait. 10-15mins. If it doesn't reboot into the BIOS, try a different version or filename or both.

// Another qestion: I can't flash =/ This is how I got in that dilemma. AFUDOS and AFUWIN both say Error 18 (or was it 19? Is some time ago since i tried for the last time) not able to start a secure session. This comes when I try to flash the modded BIOS but this also comes when I try to flash the BIOS I just read out with the same tool (and which recovered me once).

Is this recovery mode my only solution? =/ As i tried last time nothing moved for maybe 2mins so I thought it's dead and turned my PC off -> half-dead-brick that needed the USB, CD and all of that.

Why doesn't it work like it was meant to do? =/

Hi, I have the same problem as Bertox a few page before : http://forum.techinferno.com/msi/1839-msi-g-series-unlocked-bios-16.html#post30276

I'm currently trying to recover from black screen with a USB stick and a CDROM.

I'm trying to make it flash at boot, but still no luck.

Now I'll try what etch said, perhaps with some luck :-/

@Xonar could it be,as suggested by bertox before, that the IGD option I changed in the bios killed my vbios ?

If so, you answered that he could have tested with a spare mxm card which I may have but if the lappy is now a vbios killer I'm not sure I want to test that.

Is it possible to flash vbios the same way we flash bios ? With a USb stick, blind flash ?

Yes enabled iGP when your notebook doesn't support it will kill it. You will need to do a blind BIOS flash. This has nothing to do with the vBIOS.

1.download BIOS (You will have to keep the original name)

2.Format flash card to FAT!

3.Place the downloaded file to a USB flash drive.

4.Insert the flash drive in usb 2.0

5.Hold the button Ctrl + Fn + PgUp

6.turn on your laptop and release the buttons and wait...

7.You will be in recovery mod

8.Select a recovery flash bios and wait finish.

During the process, the computer really hot!

It is necessary to cool the processor...

It should work when pulling the cmos cable and/or short the connections.

If not the blind flash method should work well, you can try fn + insert or fn + PgDn too as the boot block is intact and should reset the BIOS or rewrite.

My gx660 is now bricked as well, judging from Xonar's post above, it's quite possible that it happened because i tried enabling IGP. i find this quite weird that it cannot work with the integrated graphics as well...

I tried everything i could conceive in terms of blind BIOS flashing, it just did not work.

How come most of the classic guides mention using AMIBOOT.ROM while now here guys are saying I should use the original name of the BIOS? That being said, I have no idea how or where to find out my original bios, and what it is called. Does anyone know this?

Thanks

PS: when everyone says the usb stick should be fat, do you mean fat32? or the older fat16?

My gx660 is now bricked as well, judging from Xonar's post above, it's quite possible that it happened because i tried enabling IGP. i find this quite weird that it cannot work with the integrated graphics as well...

I tried everything i could conceive in terms of blind BIOS flashing, it just did not work.

How come most of the classic guides mention using AMIBOOT.ROM while now here guys are saying I should use the original name of the BIOS? That being said, I have no idea how or where to find out my original bios, and what it is called. Does anyone know this?

Thanks

PS: when everyone says the usb stick should be fat, do you mean fat32? or the older fat16?

Thanks Xonar for the reply. I did spend whatever time i had in 2 consecutive days to see what I could find anything on google about the IGP, and surprise, no clear mentioning that it might be problematic, just that it's disabled. So a non-paranoid conclusion after this would be that it's fine to unlock it.

When you're eager to test new stuff out, there's hardly any patience to read every page of every forum on the topic. We live and learn :)

So now i will try a blind flash with no DOS on the stick or cd's, just one single file from the msi website. Will try both the raid and non raid. The cd spins and the hard drive led blinks a while, but it just seems it's not finding what it's looking for.

Will report if i'm successful.

Hi Xonar!

I need a BIOS mod for the current BIOS of my MSI GE60 0NC (v5.14):

http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GE60-0NC.html#/?div=BIOS&nbos=win8

The purpose is undervolting the CPU. (The machine is this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/MSI-GE60-0NC-622UK-15-6-inch-Processor/dp/B00BETVIRK/ref=sr_1_32?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1370002809&sr=1-32&keywords=%22msi+ge60%22#productDetails )

Is it can be done with a BIOS mod and the help of util (like ThrottleStop, XTU) ?

(I'm using CPUGenie for this on my other MSI GX620 (with stock latest BIOS) and it's working well there.)

Thanks

Hi !

I was wondering if i need to remove the battery which is below the cmos to reset my bios or if unplug the cable is enough.

I have already tried with the cable but i still have a black screen with my computer "working"

Thanks

Hi !

I was wondering if i need to remove the battery which is below the cmos to reset my bios or if unplug the cable is enough.

I have already tried with the cable but i still have a black screen with my computer "working"

Thanks

Just remove the small battery as well (and the large one too :) ) and leave it for 10 minutes.

I did the same when I had similar problem with my MSI GX620.

I have a msi gt780dx with a intel core i7 2670qm and a AMD 7970m graphics, anytime I play a game the CPU throttles so i was wondering if with the unlocked bios i can stop the CPU from Throttling.

Yes, you can raise TDP limits/times with the unlocked BIOS. You will also need to use ThrottleStop.

I trash my MSI GT683DXR bios!!!. I flashed with MSI GT683 Unlocked.zip, and work fine, hantil i mess arround with memori clock, and know black screem, no boot , i can not make on this laptop an blind-flash.Or the keyboard don't work, or the combinations of keys dont work on this laptop from MSI.I don't have an external keyboard USB to try, i have warranty and them i don't opem de laptop to remove de batery for a litlle for an reset to CMOS.

Can any help me? If i send to repar the technicians well soon note that i trashthe bios, and lose warranty and don't repar de laptop:too_sad:.

If some one have some solution please send an e-mail to: nambara AT hotmail DAWT com.

I trash my MSI GT683DXR bios!!!. I flashed with MSI GT683 Unlocked.zip, and work fine, hantil i mess arround with memori clock, and know black screem, no boot , i can not make on this laptop an blind-flash.Or the keyboard don't work, or the combinations of keys dont work on this laptop from MSI.I don't have an external keyboard USB to try, i have warranty and them i don't opem de laptop to remove de batery for a litlle for an reset to CMOS.

Can any help me? If i send to repar the technicians well soon note that i trashthe bios, and lose warranty and don't repar de laptop:too_sad:.

If some one have some solution please send an e-mail to: nambara AT hotmail DAWT com.

If you have black screen from messing with the memory options then all you need to do is reset the CMOS battery.

I would send it for warranty service and that's it.

And then would NEVER use moded bios.

What settings did you set for memory?

Hi, answer, please, what is the difference between versions of "Retail" and "Whitebook" bios?

It depends on your notebook model. If you have to ask this question, don't flash the BIOS.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was wondering, I was fortunate enough to get the MSI GX60, and I really enjoy it. I am curious as to what exactly was unlocked in your unlocked BIOS for it, as you said somewhere before you were disappointed with the amount of options there were in it's BIOS. If you could let me know, I would appreciate it. I just want to see if its worth it, although I have no fear of flashing it in general, but better to see if its worth it, than take the risk (even if anything bad is doubtful to happen) and find out it is of no use to me.