MSI G-Series Unlocked BIOS

Xonar

Try burning the ROM to a CD and try the same procedure with a CD instead of USB. Did you plug USB into 3.0 or 2.0 port? AFUDOS will refuse to flash if the ID's don't match up (and give you a warning), in which case a /X parameter would be necessary to force flash. I doubt you flashed the wrong file.

I've test with the official 30M bios renamed to AMIBOOT.ROM on usb key formated in FAT32 on USB2 and USB3 port and i've test to burn a CD with this same file alone on it ... and still nothing ... the LED on my usb key blink during about 2 sec but nothing else append. Is AMIBOOT.ROM the correct name for the BIOS rom file ?

The only successful recoveries I've read all used AMIBOOT.ROM for MSI w/ Aptio

Have you tried using external keyboard with dedicated Home button? Maybe the Home shortcut is troublesome.

Tryed with a standart USB keyboard but it didn't work. Is it possible that MSI change the file name to set to recover ? I've read that HP change it to HPBIOS.ROM on some of their laptops with an AMI's BIOS.

question related to GT683R bios, is it possible to merge newest IRST OROM in to GT683R bios and is it any beneficial regarding performance wise? I know theres TRIM support on 11.xxxx version IRST OROM but latest GT683R bios still has just 10.xxxxx IRST OROM... I would highly appreciate yous input regarding this, and I would be willing to do all the tests necesarry to see if it works. Im runing GT683R

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this is off-topic or a repeat (searching the thread for "RAM" didn't turn up any hits), but I am contemplating unlocking my BIOS using the links here for one reason in particular: increased RAM chip size support. I've read (and seen) that the mainboard on my MS-16F2 notebook has 2 banks of 2 DDR3 slots (204 pin) and online it supports up to 4GB chips in each slot. Seeing as the price point for 8 GB chips is reasonable (~$60 a pair on Newegg) and owing to my penchant for virtual machines, I'd like to pop 4 of those in to bring up my memory max to 32 GB.

Is the 4 GB limit set by the hardware or will these firmware changes enable larger memory support?

Thanks!

(my particular retailer of this notebook is CyberPowerPC, model Xplorer X6-9400 in case anyone is wondering) and it currently has 2x4GB RAM installed.

I am currently successfully running 4 x 8GB DDR3 1600MHz from Crucial 1,35v modules, and it does run at dual channel rate of ~800MHz per channel, and by thespec sheet of intel it should not run 1600MHz memory and it should not run 32GB DDR3 memory because Im runing i7-2670QM cpu, but it runs just fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maximum,

Thanks for your quick reply! Do you think the unlocking of the bios is crucial for support of the ram speed and/or capacity?

It's only necessary if you want to enable XMP profiles (i.e. RAM frequencies > 1600mhz). The rest is up to the IMC (Integrated memory controller) on the CPU.

question related to GT683R bios, is it possible to merge newest IRST OROM in to GT683R bios and is it any beneficial regarding performance wise? I know theres TRIM support on 11.xxxx version IRST OROM but latest GT683R bios still has just 10.xxxxx IRST OROM... I would highly appreciate yous input regarding this, and I would be willing to do all the tests necesarry to see if it works. Im runing GT683R

I honestly don't know, I haven't even thought about it. TRIM is enabled though... unless you mean for RAID Intel SSD's.

Xonar ... Do you have a bios mod for msi-gt60 onc non-raid edition? Under bios settings, does it have multiplier unlock settings, memory tweaks etc? tnx

Will have it tomorrow!! Along with the GT70, 1762, etc. Also, I will have the RAID version and you can manually DISABLE RAID in the BIOS. There's no sense in unlocking the same BIOS twice when you can just disable RAID and potentially enable it down the road if you buy a second HDD...

About feature "TPL limits unlocked",

where i can read how-to about that?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5334[/ATTACH]

Then you use Throttlestop to force the CPU to Turbo and you can sustain maximum turbo indefinitely, unless you have thermal throttling.

• Thumbs Up 1

Will have it tomorrow!! Along with the GT70, 1762, etc. Also, I will have the RAID version and you can manually DISABLE RAID in the BIOS

That's good news.. But wait, I have a noob question though... You said that the GT modded bios (30M version for raid NB) can be used by a non-raid GT models? just go to bios and manually set it to "raid" before doing the bios update? Then revert back to AHCI before you boot to windows? Thanks

you can manually DISABLE RAID in the BIOS. There's no sense in unlocking the same BIOS twice when you can just disable RAID and potentially enable it down the road if you buy a second HDD...

Thanks for the infor sir. But what I am trying to say is that I have a non-raid gt60 version (.10M bios version) . Is this .30m raid modded version compatiblle with .10M? Can adjust in bios from AHCI to RAID before doing this modded bios update to .30M? Thanks alot

I am currently successfully running 4 x 8GB DDR3 1600MHz from Crucial 1,35v modules, and it does run at dual channel rate of ~800MHz per channel, and by thespec sheet of intel it should not run 1600MHz memory and it should not run 32GB DDR3 memory because Im runing i7-2670QM cpu, but it runs just fine.

is it running in very stable? cause you Processor information can run up 32GB but on 1066/1333 only and yet you have 1600, i want to run use corsair vengeance 2x4GB but it 1600 and my motherboard and CPU only supports 1066/1333 also. you information will be a great help. thanks :)

@Xonar question again and i'm sorry for not doing some back tracking on the this topic but is this also compatible for non RAID units for GT780?? thanks sonar
MS-GT780/783(17''): .30H MSI GT783 Unlocked.zip

@Xonar

well one thing for sure my 2 x 256GB vertex4 SSDs would support trim but its not being enabled because of old IRST OROM version (I assume)

Yea Im running RAID0 with these SSDs and I#m looking to get the best out of them. I was wondering what IRTS version come with latest GT60 and GT70 versions...if these could be extracted and merged with GT683R...

- - - Updated - - -

Maximum,

Thanks for your quick reply! Do you think the unlocking of the bios is crucial for support of the ram speed and/or capacity?

my first thing Ive done was installed 32GB ram with all original BIOS and it worked just fine, I have only flashed to unlocked bios to tinker a little bit with my CPU settings

Also can you guys see and tell if I have managed to raise the bar on the power limits to be able successfully OC XM CPU's?

281sz1v.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

That's good news.. But wait, I have a noob question though... You said that the GT modded bios (30M version for raid NB) can be used by a non-raid GT models? just go to bios and manually set it to "raid" before doing the bios update? Then revert back to AHCI before you boot to windows? ThanksThanks for the infor sir. But what I am trying to say is that I have a non-raid gt60 version (.10M bios version) . Is this .30m raid modded version compatiblle with .10M? Can adjust in bios from AHCI to RAID before doing this modded bios update to .30M? Thanks alot

Since I don't own a notebook with 2 different BIOS (1 for RAID, 1 for non-RAID) I can't tell you for 100% certainty, but no one has ever reported a miss-flash when I advised they flash the RAID version. The only thing that I think is different in the RAID BIOS is literally the addition the RAID option under 'SATA MODE' and sets it to DEFAULT. That is why you have to change it back to AHCI if you didn't have RAID enabled before (MSI assumes if you are flashing a RAID BIOS, that it is because your notebook shipped with HDDs or SSDs in RAID).You do not have to change anything before the flash, just AFTER the flash. Once your notebook boots up just spam 'Del' key the whole time (even if it goes to the Intel Boot Manager). Once inside the BIOS, find SATA MODE and you should see that it is now set to RAID. Since you were not using RAID previous to the BIOS flash, you will need to change RAID to AHCI. You only have to do this once and it is the first time your computer boots. If you don't change this, there is a chance you will corrupt your boot manager or data because the Intel Raid utility will try to create a RAID_0 array out of your HDD. Understand now?

is it running in very stable? cause you Processor information can run up 32GB but on 1066/1333 only and yet you have 1600, i want to run use corsair vengeance 2x4GB but it 1600 and my motherboard and CPU only supports 1066/1333 also. you information will be a great help. thanks :)@Xonarquestion again and i'm sorry for not doing some back tracking on the this topic but is this also compatible for non RAID units for GT780?? thanks sonar

MS-GT780/783(17''): .30H MSI GT783 Unlocked.zip
Corsair Vengence will lock in at 1333mhz. This is because they don't have any XMP profiles so their frequencies are not adjustable through the BIOS. This can be overcome though, you can flash your memory chips to higher base frequencies and tweak their timings with a program called Thaiphoon Burner. You do have to pay for the program though and I've never used it, only read about it. If you know your notebook has XMP support and you want higher-frequency RAM (i.e. 1600mhz, 1866mhz or 2133mhz*) then make sure you pick up RAM with XMP profiles. There's only a select few on the market.*2133mhz is a stretch in most cases. The Sandy Bridge IMC can't handle it sometimes (especially with amounts greater than 8GB).

@Xonarwell one thing for sure my 2 x 256GB vertex4 SSDs would support trim but its not being enabled because of old IRST OROM version (I assume)Yea Im running RAID0 with these SSDs and I#m looking to get the best out of them. I was wondering what IRTS version come with latest GT60 and GT70 versions...if these could be extracted and merged with GT683R...- - - Updated - - -my first thing Ive done was installed 32GB ram with all original BIOS and it worked just fine, I have only flashed to unlocked bios to tinker a little bit with my CPU settingsAlso can you guys see and tell if I have managed to raise the bar on the power limits to be able successfully OC XM CPU's?

I've never looked into changing up the OROM, when I have time I can look into it, but it isn't a high priority for me. Sorry.Intel blatantly lied about Sandy Bridge's IMC capabilities. It can support 32GB as well as frequencies well beyond 1333mhz.With regards to Turbo, you're almost there. Just use the screenshot I have in my post above and copy those 3 values into the BIOS to achieve maximum turbo.

my first thing Ive done was installed 32GB ram with all original BIOS and it worked just fine, I have only flashed to unlocked bios to tinker a little bit with my CPU settings

Who was your memory manufacturer? I notice almost no difference in price between the 1600MHz and 1333MHz units on NewEgg.

Also, I'm only running the i7 2630QM processor, do you think it will be less compatible with the increased memory capacity than your 2670QM? Intel's specs look identical:

2670: ARK | Intel® Core

2630 ARK | Intel® Core

My mobo is of course the same with the HM67 chipset, but from the little bit of knowledge I have, I think the memory controller sits on the CPU itself.

Thanks!

-Anthony

Sorry.Intel blatantly lied about Sandy Bridge's IMC capabilities. It can support 32GB as well as frequencies well beyond 1333mhz.With regards to Turbo, you're almost there. Just use the screenshot I have in my post above and copy those 3 values into the BIOS to achieve maximum turbo.

Sorry, I should have read the next post before responding! Thanks @Xonar !

• Thumbs Up 1

For all who want unlock version for E16F2IMS.10Z (non RAID SKU or simply GT683DX),

unlocked BIOS: GT683DX.zip

Proving scrinshots: Photo.zip

Its really easy to make unlocking of that version =)

(One of the hardest step been registration on the Chinese forum to obtaining AMIBCP Aptio 4.53.0.50)

(Bios Updated, "Main Menu" unlocked)

Menu.zip

Just a question in case anybody knows, I have an MS-1762, will this allow me to stop the throttling of the GPU that occurs when running on battery power?

Nope, nothing will. It's an Nvidia implementation.

• Thumbs Up 1