MSI G-Series Unlocked BIOS

Xonar

Hi mates

I have brought MS-16F2 two months ago and wanted update bios. Anyone who updated bios on this machine and got success? please give me some ideas what should I do to update the bios without any complications.

Specs:

15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Matte Type Screen

2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM, 2.2-3.1GHz, (32nm, 6MB L3 cache)

nVidia GeForce GTX 570M 1,548MB PCI-Express GDDR5

16GB DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (4x4GB SODIMMS)

128GB Crucial M4 C400 Solid State Drive (Up to Sequential Read 500MB/s - Write 175MB/s SSD Serial-ATA III)

Thanks. I see. That hearts.....

Any suggestion on how to OC 2920XM?

Thank you "pau10w

Oh.. that's sad. I though I could do it like in other computers. Why MSI does not release the new bios for MSI MS-16F2??? Is there any way I can over clock my machine????

Thank you

The 16F2 is already EoL, MSI doesn't provide anymore support for it.

Like I said before, OC'ing issues are not MSI's fault. Intel put a bitlocker on Sandy Bridge chips and only XTU can OC them. Caveat, only notebooks with XTU embedded in the BIOS (Alienwares, some Clevos) can take advantage of it.

95658374.png

As you can see, I raised my multiplier limits to 40x, via BIOS. I then set TS to force multipliers at 35x. The result? Stays at 31x regardless. :( The BCLK is your only option, and that'll add a measly 100mhz.

• Thumbs Up 1

The turbo core ratio is a 2nd-gen Sandy Bridge problem. Intel introduced a bitlocker to prevent multiplier changes. You'd have to ask Unclewebb about that and see if he'd be able to do something about it. Look at me, I've got a 2920XM and I share your pain.

Power limits are through BIOS, TS can't change them. Again, a 2nd-gen Core-i problem

Sad news. I have a 2920XM too. I read Unclewebb posts and it seems he can't do anything with it. How did you get that 3.2Ghz. Could you post some screenshots about your BIOS settings.

Thx.

I purchased my laptop from an OEM (Cyberpower) this was the original information reported by the "Intel CPU ID tool" I want to run VMware 8.0 with 64 bit OS support and need VT -x to be enabled, I have flashed the White book 1762 unlocked bios and it has installed fine the only thing I changed in the BIOS was the RAID option back to AHCI and I did notice the VT support was enabled, after rebooting I reran the Intel ID tool and it is still reporting VT -x as being off? Is there something else I need to change? or is this not supported

Mainboard: MS-1762

PCB Version: REV:1.0 Intel® Processor Identification Utility

Version: 4.50.20120413

Time Stamp: 2012/08/16 15:10:57

Operating System: 6.1-7601-Service Pack 1

Number of processors in system: 1

Current processor: #1

Active cores per processor: 4

Disabled cores per processor: 0

Processor Name: Intel® Core i7-3920XM Extreme Edition CPU @ 2.90GHz

Type: 0

Family: 6

Model: 3A

Stepping: 9

Revision: 12

Maximum CPUID Level: D

L1 Instruction Cache: 4 x 32 KB

L1 Data Cache: 4 x 32 KB

L2 Cache: 4 x 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Packaging: µPGA/BGA

Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology: Yes

MMX: Yes

Intel® SSE: Yes

Intel® SSE2: Yes

Intel® SSE3: Yes

Intel® SSE4: Yes

Intel® AES-NI: Yes

Intel® AVX: Yes

Enhanced Halt State: Yes

Execute Disable Bit: Yes

Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology: Yes

Intel® 64 Architecture: Yes

Intel® Virtualization Technology: No

Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables: No

System Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4000

Expected Processor Frequency: 2.90 GHz

Reported Processor Frequency: 3.59 GHz

Expected System Bus Frequency: 100 MHz

Reported System Bus Frequency: 100 MHz

BIOS Version: E1762IMS.10M

BIOS Date: 7/6/2012

EC-FW Version:

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi John,

I'm not too keen on virtualization, but I only see VT-d option in the BIOS. I can't find VT-x. Will that be a problem?

Also, it is under the 'Chipset' tab that is not unlocked yet (explained in my previous posts above). Be on the look-out for a new BIOS later this week that will be completely unlocked. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi John,

I'm not too keen on virtualization, but I only see VT-d option in the BIOS. I can't find VT-x. Will that be a problem?

Also, it is under the 'Chipset' tab that is not unlocked yet (explained in my previous posts above). Be on the look-out for a new BIOS later this week that will be completely unlocked. :)

Hi Xonar,

[h=4]Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x)[/h]

Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) allows one hardware platform to function as multiple “virtual” platforms. It offers improved manageability by limiting downtime and maintaining productivity by isolating computing activities into separate partitions.

[h=4]Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)[/h]

Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) continues from the existing support for IA-32 (VT-x) and Itanium® processor (VT-i) virtualization adding new support for I/O-device virtualization. Intel VT-d can help end users improve security and reliability of the systems and also improve performance of I/O devices in virtualized environments.

[h=4]Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT)[/h]

Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT), also known as Second Level Address Translation (SLAT), provides acceleration for memory intensive virtualized applications. Extended Page Tables in Intel® Virtualization Technology platforms reduces the memory and power overhead costs and increases battery life through hardware optimization of page table management.

VT must be enabled in the host system BIOS. The feature may be named VT, Vanderpool Technology, Virtualization Technology, VMX, or Virtual Machine Extensions. Often, you find this setting under a Security screen in the BIOS. The location of this setting varies depending on the system vendor.

Hopefully the new unlock will do the trick, thanks for your help

@johndolle01

source link and quote would be nice, I am sure you didn't write all those ® yourself :p

@Xonar

I wouldn't worry about VT-x if I had VT-d. VT-x allows you to run unmodified virtual guests at near native speed, while VT-d is important if you want to passthrough hardware like a pci(e) card to such a guest. I guess If you enable VT-d, you automatically get the old VT-x features. If you want to check yourself you can enable it and then read the cpu feature flags and look for vmx (intel) or svm (amd). If the flag shows up, your processor has support (and the corresponding option is enabled in the bios).

Linux:
[FONT=Verdana]egrep ‘(vmx|svm)’ /proc/cpuinfo[/FONT]
Windows: CPU-Z ? I don't know if CPU-Z reads the flags or just recognizes the CPU and looks up in a database. But you can try with the option disabled check if VT-x shows up, which it souldn't.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Hi @all is there also a unlocked BIOS coming up for this board MS-16F3(15.6'') or can we use the one for MS-GT60(15.6'') , anyway keep up the good work on this.

UPDATE

I put the unlocked BIOS from the MS-16F2 in my MS-16F3 and works like a charm throttles in Turbomode up to around 3.6Ghz so thats not bad the only thing i miss is some RAM settings they where not included for me in this BIOS for the rest great work guys hope i can get 1 with RAM settings and all that it has now to.

Is there also a custom bios on the way for the MS-16F3 just like the 1 for MS-16F2 and it would be nice if there was a possibillity the play a little with the RAM settings or is that not possible only changing the BLK setting ?

If someone uploads me the 16F3 BIOS without a password I will unlock it for you. :)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MS-1762 w/ XMP stuff, Vt-d, etc is finished. Need testers for the MS-1762 barebone. Send me a PM if you are interested. If this is confirmed working, then I will work on GT60 and GT70 notebooks.

Also, 3rd-gen MSI-G with XM CPU can OC via multipliers!

Another point: any GE60 / GE70 people interested?

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FYI -- Thanks guys, appreciate all the good words you put in.

Just as a reminder for next time, if you like my work just hit the 'Thanks button' on the bottom left of the post. Most of these 'thanks posts' will be deleted as it makes finding relevant information about troubleshooting and discussing the BIOS more difficult. Some of you are using it to bump your post counts so that you can reach five posts faster. Warning: this will not be tolerated. Your posts will be deleted and you will be handed an infraction.

P.S.: You also don't have to tell me when you are going to flash the BIOS. Tell me when you do it, I love feedback. You don't have to tell me you're about to do it; that's completely unnecessary. Those posts will be cleaned up as well, especially if you are below the 5 post count. Senior members/Elite members don't worry. This is mostly for the newcomers. Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just like to make a dedicated post about this. I am currently seeking alpha/beta testers for any of the Intel 3rd gen 'Ivy Bridge' MSI G notebooks. If you are interested in giving a hand, please PM me and I'll see what I can do. I have a couple ROMs sitting ready, but no one to test :(.

Edit: @svl7 has also made an announcement for the forum to get the word out as well.

• Thumbs Up 2