MSI G-Series Unlocked BIOS

Xonar

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I need some help. I have a MSI GT780DXR, and the GPU, 570m, died. I'm now getting a 660m basically for free, so at this stage it is my only option.

What will I need to do to get the card to work? Do I need to flash any custom bios?

Thanks a lot

Hi all,

I have a MSI GT663 laptop (i5-460m, GeForce GTX 460M, 8GB RAM) and I wonder how far can I upgrade it. I searched over the net, but there is no much information about it. I wonder about the graphic card - I have MS-16F1 mainboard. Can I insert newer graphic card to the laptop? Do I need a modded bios for it? According to mxm-upgrade.com (looked at MSI GX660: http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/Table_3.html) there are some possibilities, however the link to page with HD7970 information is broken.

What about GeForce GTX 765M for example? Is it possible to make it working with GT663? Anyone knows? Does modded bios allow to upgrade graphic card?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Hello

Here some Cards over GTX 460M which work in MS-16F1:

GTX 570M,

GTX 580M,

GTX 670M,

GTX 675M

GTX 765M,with modded Driver,

GTX 770M

GTX 970M,

GTX 980M

HD6970M

HD6990M

HD7970M,Revison 1.2 with Non Endur Vbios only

For all Cards You need another and different Heatsinks.

All Kepler Cards like GTX 670MX,GTX 675MX,GTX680M,GTX 870m,GTX 780,GTX 880M and all quadro Cards like KxxxM are not working.

Unbenannt.png

Edited by Bloetschkopf
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you much for the response.

I can buy a GTX 765M card for about 90 euro (taken from new Alienware) - like this: http://allegro.pl/nvidia-gtx-765m-2-gb-dell-clevo-mxm-gtx765-i5923369018.html.

You said that all Kepler cards are not working with MS-16F1, but GT 765M is working. AFAIK the GTX 765M card is Kepler (http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-765M.92907.0.html), so I assume this is an exception (same with GTX 770M), right?

If I go for the change, do I need to flash mainboard unlocked bios, or the bios of graphic card? Where can I get info on how to mod a driver?

Many thanks once again for your help!

Hi everyone, can anybody answer me if I could replace broken gtx 670m from MSI GT60-0NC with nvidia gtx 485m?

I've found it really cheap on ebay and it's the great card. GPU and other elements are on same position like on 670m so heatsink modding is not required, all that worries me is if it BIOS is gonna support it?

Thank you in advance

Yes,but a cheap K3000M is faster and You can get a MSI Vbios for it.

The K3000M makes 3300 Points in 3Dmark with 824MHz as Standart and 3600 Points with 900MHz.

This is my Card and i played Crysis 3 with it 1 Hour ago.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/-/322014322351

You also can use Your old Heatsink,it needs only a little more Thermalpaste.

Edited by Bloetschkopf

On 17/7/2012 at 0:02 AM, Xonar said:

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Note: This page is no longer updated, I am not taking requests anymore. Please do not PM me, because I will not respond. Other people have graciously posted their unlocked BIOS's within this thread, so you will have to do some searching to find the right one. I may come back to unlocked more later... I just don't have any time. Sorry. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Welcome to my unlocked BIOS thread for MSI G-series gaming notebooks!

Anytime you see an asterisk (*), it means that pictures for that part are included in the 2nd post.

Introduction:

In this thread you will find a list of MSI G-series gaming notebooks with their BIOS’ fully unlocked. Just about every feature that MSI has hidden is now available to be changed by the end user. This thread may be of particular interest to techies who love to squeeze every ounce of performance out of their notebooks or even the average person who is looking for a particular feature that has previously been locked.

Should I Flash These BIOS?

Anyone that owns one of the listed MSI G-Series notebooks is eligible.

Who this does NOT apply to:
- If you are afraid to brick your notebook, this is NOT for you. There is always a possibility for errors and accidents to occur. - If you do not understand what any or most of these acronyms mean, this is NOT for you. You will probably find little use for the unlocked features and the potential for risk is much greater than the reward.

Who this applies to:

- If you have an understanding of most of this thread and are willing to learn, continue reading. - If you are an enthusiast who loves modding and overclocking and have experience with this field, continue reading.

Features:

So what are these features that MSI had locked out?

A short list would include:

*- XMP RAM support (Up to 2133Mhz) [Warning: 4 DIMMs at 1866Mhz(+) may not be stable, 2 DIMMs are stable at 2133Mhz]. - BCLK Overclocking (Up to 5%, your mileage may vary, no guarantees). - TPL limits unlocked (With the combination of ThrottleStop, CPU throttling can be overcome).

Necessary Tools & Knowledge:

We’re going to need a couple things before we start flashing:

1. A bootable USB drive in DOS/ME/98. Guides can be found all over the internet.

2. The required BIOS file(s) for your specific notebook.

3. AC Adapter plugged into notebook.

4. Some common sense and bravery.

Disclaimer:

I claim no responsibility for any accident, damage, or brick caused by this, nor do I guarantee any technical assistance. Flash at your own risk. I am in no way affiliated to MSI, nor is MSI obligated to provide any support with these files. Proceed with caution! Your notebook's warranty will be compromised in the event of a repair!

Redistribution of these files is not permitted without prior approval from me. You must contact me BEFORE you plan on hosting them. Thank you.

Directions:

1. Add the three (3) files: "BIOS".ROM, AFUDOS.exe and update.bat to your flash drive. The root folder works best. Double check the READ ME.txt that you are about to flash the correct BIOS for your notebook.

2. Plug in USB drive and shut down your notebook.

3. Power on the notebook and during POST hit F11. This will bring up the boot menu, select your USB drive and hit enter.

4. In DOS, type:*

This will start the flashing process.

Warning: Once you hit enter, you CANNOT stop the flashing process. If you interrupt it via shutdown or remove its power source, you will brick your notebook with 100% certainty.

5. Sit back and wait for the process to complete itself. Note: Your fan will spin at 100% speed, it will be very loud. This is normal. Once your BootBlock has been verified and the command prompt comes back up, the process is complete.*

Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart your notebook and hit Delete to enter the BIOS. If your BIOS looks exactly the same as before and the flashing process came back with no errors, then you have to boot into Windows and shut down your notebook, NOT restart. Then check it out. Warning: The BIOS might reset the SATA mode into RAID. Please double check in the 'Advanced' tab that it is set to whichever mode you were using or else your boot manager may get corrupted. If this does happen, you will need to use your Windows 7 CD and repair the start-up process.

Downloads:

This part is under construction! More will be added. Taking requests as well.

MSI Notebook Models:

Version:

Download Link:

1st-Gen Core-i

Retail:

MS-GX740(17''): 1.0F ms_gx740.zip

Whitebook:

MS-16F1(15.6''): 1.0L MSI 16F1 Unlocked.zip

2nd-Gen Core-i:

Retail:

MS-GT680/683(15.6''): .30Z MSI GT683 Unlocked.zip
MS-GT780/783(17''): .30H MSI GT783 Unlocked.zip

Whitebook:

MS-16F2(15.6''): 3.05 MSI MS-16F2 Unlocked.zip
MS-1761(17''): 3.06 MSI MS-1761 Unlocked.zip

3rd-Gen Core-i:

Retail:

MS-GT60(15.6''): .30M MSI GT60 Unlocked.zip
MS-GT70(17''): .30M MSI GT70 Unlocked.zip

Whitebook:

MS-16F3(15.6''):    
MS-1762(17''): 3.0G MSI 1762 Unlocked.zip

AMD APU

MS-gx60(15.6'') 3.05 SecondGenAMDAPU.zip

Recovery:

Directions for making your notebook function properly if you encounter any errors.

Case 1:

In case of a GOOD flash, but you still cannot enter BIOS or boot into Windows: Common symptoms include: Endless looping reboots, inability to access the BIOS, permanent black screen, persistent BSODs in Windows or stuttering.

The most likely cause was that your image was successfully overwritten, but some values may have changed internally and the BIOS may be having a hard time accepting them.

If everything was a success and your notebook boots into one of the situations mentioned above, before trying a blind-flash recovery, UNPLUG the wire leading to your CMOS battery for 5-10 seconds.*

This will RESET the stored values in the BIOS to their defaults. If this does not solve the problem, then a blind-flash will be required.

Case 2:

In case of a BAD flash, a blind-flash will be required.

1. Remove any files from your USB that aren't the necessary bootable DOS files.

2. Pick a ROM you want to flash (doesn't have to be the original), but it MUST be one for your notebook specifically.

3. Rename the file.ROM to AMIBOOT.ROM and put it on your flash drive.

4. Plug in your flash drive in a USB 2.0 slot.

5. As soon as your notebook turns on and nothing is displayed, spam Ctrl + Home (In my case, the MS-16F2 is Ctrl + Fn + PgUp or Ctrl + Shift + NumPad 7).

6. You should hear four (4) beeps and the BIOS should begin flashing itself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Redistribution of these files is not permitted without prior approval from me. You must contact me BEFORE you plan on hosting them. Thank you.

This  bios is tested with the msi gt780 R ? i need cpu virtualization to workd with android studio emulator

• Bios Modder
On ‎29‎.‎02‎.‎2016 at 7:02 PM, hb008 said:

This  bios is tested with the msi gt780 R ? i need cpu virtualization to workd with android studio emulator

All thes files was tested on the real laptops. All works.

Guys I have an msi gt70 that is bricked from bios update. I ordered a chip from ebay and replaced it but still doesnt turn on. Do you know if this laptop has any blind flash method ? I contact msi and they dont want to help me. They said I need to buy a new motherboard!!

• Bios Modder
2 hours ago, bassistas said:

My board is the Ms17631 rev 1.1. What do you mean the motherboard is damaged? Is there something else except the bios and the ec chip that needs reflashing ? 

May be seller sent you empty bios chip(without any bios), or with incorrect bios? I think now cheapest way in your case, to order a simple hardware SPI programmer, for example CH341A

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-SPI-Series-24-EEPROM-CH341A-BIOS-Writer-Routing-LCD-Flash-USB-Programmer-BE-/121868814088?hash=item1c5ff28708:g:ImAAAOSwFqJWnPpu

• 2 weeks later...

I tried installing GTX765m into my MSI GT663 laptop and all I can see is a MSI logo at startup. Latop hangs on this screen - I cannot enter bios, cannot do anything.

The graphic card is taken from Dell - should I flash other vbios for it? From Clevo?

And/or should I flash unlocked bios for the mainboard (MS-16F1)?

Thanks in advance.