M14x fan

The fan is actually quieter than the m14xr1. In my opinion, its not that loud. However if you want a portable gaming notebook, your going to have to deal with fan noise of some sort. More powerful GPU's produce more heat. Its just a fact. The new 650mGT runs much cooler than the older 555mGT. 60c vs 72c The cpu I7 produces a lot of heat. The best way to reduce it is to disable TURBO in the bios. The cpu begins to slowly scale back speed at 80c i believe. I think this too can be adjusted within the bios. Try to disable turbo and then see what you think about the fan. Best Wishes and good luck! StevenX

Hi,

I've got an m14x R2 and the fan is way noisy. So bad that I am seriously considering returning it. I tested out the 'set manual' and custom auto modes, and both worked fine, as far as I could see. I have to figure out a way to be playing games without having the fan goto 5000 rpms though, but it appears to need it. Do you have any info/links about how hot I should let the core get? I have an i7 3720QM.

I think I'll try turning off the speedstep, and see if that helps,...

Ya, I've been tinkering a bit, but man is that fan loud. I can't take it, I have to find another solution or its going back...

Thanks,

Mark

I start thinking that there is a major difference in heat and therefor fanspeed between the i7-3610qm and the i7-3720qm since every post in different forums about both configs ends up that one with the i7-3720qm is a bit loud and overheating (high 80s) and the other stays in the 60s or max 70s at high performance.

Maybe its just me but i tried to read thru the forums to find out what the big differences could be why one R2 is just perfect even in temperature and the other is only a bit better than the R1 which major concern was heat and loudness.

Steven can you again confirm what i read your thread that your R2 with the i7-3610qm is only getting as high temps as you posted of max 60s celsius in game sessions? Or have you only posted the GPU temps? I cant clearly see if it was GPU or CPU temps... GPU is kinda uninteresting since it wasnt even a problem in the R1 due to low low temps of max 65 degree.

Its the CPU that overheats. If that is solved in the R2 but only with the i7-3610qm people should know at least since Dell dont really care about details like that anymore :/.

I will get a R2 as replacement soon since my R1 overheats to the 90s even after exchanging heatpipes, board and repasting. My CPU in the R1 is the i7-2760qm. Problems are throttling, lag and loudness. I want to get the lower CPU i7-3610qm not the i7-3720qm since im afraid this could cause again a heating issue even with the R2.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
I start thinking that there is a major difference in heat and therefor fanspeed between the i7-3610qm and the i7-3720qm since every post in different forums about both configs ends up that one with the i7-3720qm is a bit loud and overheating (high 80s) and the other stays in the 60s or max 70s at high performance.

Maybe its just me but i tried to read thru the forums to find out what the big differences could be why one R2 is just perfect even in temperature and the other is only a bit better than the R1 which major concern was heat and loudness.

Steven can you again confirm what i read your thread that your R2 with the i7-3610qm is only getting as high temps as you posted of max 60s celsius in game sessions? Or have you only posted the GPU temps? I cant clearly see if it was GPU or CPU temps... GPU is kinda uninteresting since it wasnt even a problem in the R1 due to low low temps of max 65 degree.

Its the CPU that overheats. If that is solved in the R2 but only with the i7-3610qm people should know at least since Dell dont really care about details like that anymore :/.

I will get a R2 as replacement soon since my R1 overheats to the 90s even after exchanging heatpipes, board and repasting. My CPU in the R1 is the i7-2760qm. Problems are throttling, lag and loudness. I want to get the lower CPU i7-3610qm not the i7-3720qm since im afraid this could cause again a heating issue even with the R2.

i can say that on my r2 i have the same impression. i got the 3720qm and was kinda surprised to read that other users' cpu (3610) maxes out in mid 60s while mine can get to 80 if i really really stress the hell out of it. mine even idles at around 50. but how you stated, i can see a major difference in those two cpus by reading different posts in different forums.

EDIT: and it's not much different on my m17x-r4 with the 3720qm as well. it's a little lower in idle (around 45) i guess because of the dedicated heatsink/fan set up on the 17x. but otherwise, same...it's not like on the 17x i got temps in the upper 30s while idle. and i didn't repaste the 17x...only my 14x. so it's not like i messed up both of them by accident ;-)

i can say that on my r2 i have the same impression. i got the 3720qm and was kinda surprised to read that other users' cpu (3610) maxes out in mid 60s while mine can get to 80 if i really really stress the hell out of it. mine even idles at around 50. but how you stated, i can see a major difference in those two cpus by reading different posts in different forums.

EDIT 2: what i noticed though, is, that in some situations, the gpu will not clock down anymore until i.e. gpu-z is opened. if i open gpu-z and monitor the sensors..the gpu will start to clock itself down after a few seconds. after it has clocked down, temps on cpu also drop a lot (if they were in the 50s before they will be in the low 40s after). the gpu not downclocking sometimes is strange, while the temp problem is of course, since theres only one heatsink, leading from gpu to cpu to fan.

EDIT 2: what i noticed though, is, that in some situations, the gpu will not clock down anymore until i.e. gpu-z is opened. if i open gpu-z and monitor the sensors..the gpu will start to clock itself down after a few seconds. after it has clocked down, temps on cpu also drop a lot (if they were in the 50s before they will be in the low 40s after). the gpu not downclocking sometimes is strange, while the temp problem is of course, since theres only one heatsink, leading from gpu to cpu to fan.

what kind of CPU/GPU are you using having this happen? i dont think this is something to do with fan control that GPU isnt clocking down. maybe bad drivers?

i'm using a 3720qm and a 650m.

for GPU not clocking down seems to be a new one ive never heard of, maybe a defective card? generally something from nvidia shouldnt have much problems with its driver, although in the past they had driver issues just like current ATI/AMD cards so i dont think its a driver problem. as for CPU overheating, did you re-paste (thermal paste) your CPU at all? ALOT of CPU will throttle when theres no thermal paste, open it up and check to see if the paste getting old/ if theres any stock paste. if you have it and your fans are working at high spin speed and you are still getting such high temperature, im wondering if you got yourself an ES CPU instead of QS CPU chip lol.

its known ES chips can overclock high (with supported overclock bios) but they are known to have bad temperature control, or no control at all. this is why it is generally alright to get an ES chip to overclock in a desktop but not laptop due to poor air ventilation and less cooling. i would say, take out your chip to see if it says ES/QS although i think most QS CPU will say ES on them anyway. take out your CPU, call up on intel and give them w/e number is on the chip and they will be able to tell you if its ES/QS.

if its ES, intel will most likely exchange to QS chip for you as to either intel or your laptop company made a mistake. if its QS, then theres something wrong with your CPU could be a defective one or maybe theres issue with 3720QM that people not currently aware of yet. ( and from the looks of previous posts, i would say maybe there are issues with 3720QM in Dell alienware, or theres problem with 3720QM)

just a question though, you saying you have a R2 so i assume its M18x R2 right? how did you get a 650m in the M18x R2? the lowest GPU option on dell config page is 660m. so wth?

• Thumbs Up 2

for GPU not clocking down seems to be a new one ive never heard of, maybe a defective card? generally something from nvidia shouldnt have much problems with its driver, although in the past they had driver issues just like current ATI/AMD cards so i dont think its a driver problem. as for CPU overheating, did you re-paste (thermal paste) your CPU at all? ALOT of CPU will throttle when theres no thermal paste, open it up and check to see if the paste getting old/ if theres any stock paste. if you have it and your fans are working at high spin speed and you are still getting such high temperature, im wondering if you got yourself an ES CPU instead of QS CPU chip lol.

its known ES chips can overclock high (with supported overclock bios) but they are known to have bad temperature control, or no control at all. this is why it is generally alright to get an ES chip to overclock in a desktop but not laptop due to poor air ventilation and less cooling. i would say, take out your chip to see if it says ES/QS although i think most QS CPU will say ES on them anyway. take out your CPU, call up on intel and give them w/e number is on the chip and they will be able to tell you if its ES/QS.

if its ES, intel will most likely exchange to QS chip for you as to either intel or your laptop company made a mistake. if its QS, then theres something wrong with your CPU could be a defective one or maybe theres issue with 3720QM that people not currently aware of yet. ( and from the looks of previous posts, i would say maybe there are issues with 3720QM in Dell alienware, or theres problem with 3720QM)

just a question though, you saying you have a R2 so i assume its M18x R2 right? how did you get a 650m in the M18x R2? the lowest GPU option on dell config page is 660m. so wth?

Although Intel may help to my knowledge but usually when there is a problem with a product you turn to the company it was sold from ie Dell/Alienware. If the cpu was in fact a es which i think you know is unlikely he would just have to call Dell and it would be resolved quickly with a free in home repair, a depot repair or for some direct delivery of the part and install by the user (not often offered but is allowed for some parts not usually cpu unless lucky)

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, for the GPU downclocking issue, it kind of solved itself. It's performing quite normal now :)

As for the CPU being ES. I start to think that the temps I get are normal. I never got an answer from a 14X-R2 owner as to what idle temps he gets on his system with the same specs, but, as my M17X-R4 is in the same range of temps, I assume this is just the way it's supposed to be.

And nah, how @Jimbo already stated, it's an M14X-R2 ;):)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought an m14xr2 i7-3610qm. It's my third MXXx after owning a 1st and 2nd gen M11x. Ive never found the fan noise too bad on any of these.

Not really impressed so far with the m14x out of the box.

There seem to be fan grills at the bottom on the left and right (the left side having a rear exhaust also). Is it correct that only air seems to be blowing out of the left side bottom? The right side seems to get quite warm.

Yeah, there's only one fan in the system.

Thanks, was trying to get myself an r3 m11x from the UK outlet and saw a cheap m14x pop up that I couldn't resist, so don't really know much about it. Seems to have the worst quality screen I've ever looked at! Seems to be a common complaint.

I use my M14x often for work, e.g. writing stuff in conferences, university, ...so I have no use for a loud fan.

I made a new energy-plan, and put the max. CPU-power to 30%. The powerful i7 running @30% is even fast enough for surfing, office, photoshop, etc. - but the fan won't turn on and the battery will last even longer than one would think. give it a try!

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using bios A08. the temperature is alright when doing normal tasks, even during gaming... but after 1-2hrs of gaming the laptop is super hot and performance starting to slow down. there are serious problem with their bios.

this might be a bit old and a bit late but regarding to GPU not clocking down, i now experience something similar with another laptop of mine. it has GT560m although its dedicated graphic memory it is onboard built in graphics (graphic is part of the motherboard). not sure if this is the laptop issue with Asus or nvidia driver issue but it is using the latest driver. the clock actually can go up and down along with memory core ONLY if shaders clock stays above a certain speed. example would be, core 800, memory 1000, shaders 1300 and if i change core memory up or down it seems to be fine, but if shaders went below 1100, core and memory clock does not change no matter what value i put into them.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anybody know if it is possible to replace the fan with a better type? So I can overclock without using an external cooler.

Sure if you can find a more quiet fan of the same size. Actually it has a relative quiet (for Dell) Foreconn fan inside which is a low budget but relative low noise fan compared to other fans Dell put into their notebooks. Sunons are far more noisy and they are more common in Dell notebooks. I couldnt find yet a less noisy fan that can run at 4000-5600rpm with less noise than the current but good luck to you.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sure if you can find a more quiet fan of the same size. Actually it has a relative quiet (for Dell) Foreconn fan inside which is a low budget but relative low noise fan compared to other fans Dell put into their notebooks. Sunons are far more noisy and they are more common in Dell notebooks. I couldnt find yet a less noisy fan that can run at 4000-5600rpm with less noise than the current but good luck to you.

for the 4000-5600 rpm, do you have any listing where i could find one that would fit in m14x or m18x? noise isnt an issue for me.. either ebay link or w/e would be fine, or even the name or model number.

for the 4000-5600 rpm, do you have any listing where i could find one that would fit in m14x or m18x? noise isnt an issue for me.. either ebay link or w/e would be fine, or even the name or model number.

Sry i have no links for specific fans. What you need is a forecon DF... or DC... dunno the number atm. I also dont want to be responsible for failed experiments of you. ;)

Apple uses way more expensive Delta Electronics Brushless fans that can mostly ramp up to only 4000rpm. However they are 1. way more expensive than forconns and 2. different form factor and as far as i remember 2-pin or 3-pin connectored.

The Deltas are known to be super silent in idle 2000ish rpm. But they will be just as loud as the forcons when they are at the same speed or nearly as loud at least.

My idea is actually to cut holes into the chassis of the fan to reduce the noise when the airflow presses to the plastics at the backside. Since this the most extreme noise factor it needs some kind of workaround. Also remember Macbooks are made of Aluminium not plastics like the M14x. So the airflow do not press thru any plastics array which is also a considerable factor.