P170/50EM Aftermarket air/water heatsink

Toopy

While the 170EM is getting a little long in the tooth these days (even with a 980m or 10xx) but it can still give acceptable framerates in most new games.

I was wondering if has anyone tried one of these aftermarket heatsinks?

AU $419.04  20% Off | DIY water Air/wind cooling heasink radiator Transformation for Clevo P150 P150EM P170 P170EM
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mO8YlzR

price is a little higher than I would like and would probably be better off investing the $$ into a new machine.

They also seem to have heatsinks for a large number of different machines.

Edited by Toopy

• 1 month later...

I think this is an interesting mod..  however, I don't see how the water can cool the laptop more efficiently than the heat pipes.  The only benefit that water would bring, would be to have an external reservoir for more thermal mass to sink the heat to, and the ability to increase the size of the radiators.  In that it appears that these are all internal, then I would expect they are a down grade, in that the radiation surfaces remain the same, but the thermal transfer is slower through water than a state changing vapor.