[M17x R2] with AMD 7970M CrossfireX

• Founder

They are factory default at 7, didn't change anything. Only problem is that you can't find such low latency on bigger capacity chips

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Thumbs Up 1

13.8 Beta that addresses framepacing is available. Going to give it a test now and report back.

edit: Well the entire reason I was waiting for this driver was for FC3... and believe it or not, the microstutter/stutter is worse :P And yes, this is the framepacing driver, see attached.

post-166-14494995879153_thumb.jpg

edit 2: ASUS GPU Tweak doesn't unlock voltage for me with this driver :( A bit of good news is both cards are listed in the Overdrive tab as opposed to the other drivers and I can edit voltage for both cards in the profile.xml file. Only problem I'm having is that the Overdrive settings aren't being loaded at boot.

edit 3: I found out why CCC wasn't loading my Overdrive voltage setting on boot. It actually did but it took around 5 minutes to load (sometimes it felt like it didn't load at all...maybe I was just impatient). I usually check immediately once I'm in Windows so I thought it wasn't working. It seems AMD set a delay to load ccc.exe of 300 seconds which is a bit wierd.

In order to fix this open Regedit and go to...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->Wow6432Node->ATI->ACE->Backup->Settings->CLI

There should be a "Delay" Key with a value of 300. Change the value to 0. This will fix you needing to open CCC and close it in order for the Overdrive settings to register at every boot... or you can wait about 5 minutes before starting a game :P

post-166-14494995879153_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Iam just looking for one 7970M card to replace the dual CFX-5870M don't want to buy nvidia and lately had enough trouble with the amd drivers.

And because i had a "few" personal problems in my life , i not really interested to play around with compatibility, and driver issues. @least not for a while.

If someone have experience with clevo or dell card, could shed some light on the issue? I have tried a dell 6990M and it was not working, so i flashed with a clevo vbios and went dead. Now is just messing on the screen even with its original vbios, even i am an expert repair tech but cannot do anything with it to get it working again.

Thanks

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here but I'll give it a shot...

If you want a 7970M that you can just plug in and use without fiddling that would be the Clevo 7970M, providing you do not require HDMi. HDMi video has been confirmed to work with the newer drivers but HDMi audio does not. The Dell card does give you full HDMi functionality with audio and video but it does not have automatic fans. You would have to use HWinfo to set up an automatic fan profile and make sure it loads when logging in to Windows.

With regards to the 6990M, if after flashing it back to the original vBIOS and performing a clean install of AMD Catalysts you are still receiving screen artifacts I would probably think its a problem on the hardware level. Make sure the card is installed properly with proper heatsink and thermal pad installation to rule out any possible VRM/GPU/vRAM overheating issues.

If that does not work, the card may have been damaged if you removed it and re-installed it after the Clevo vBIOS flash. As a last resort, and if you feel you have nothing to loose, I would suggest baking the card but only if you feel you have exhausted all other options.

I see from your signature that you are triple booting. Is the 6990M exhibiting the same problem in all OS's?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here but I'll give it a shot...

If you want a 7970M that you can just plug in and use without fiddling that would be the Clevo 7970M, providing you do not require HDMi. HDMi video has been confirmed to work with the newer drivers but HDMi audio does not. The Dell card does give you full HDMi functionality with audio and video but it does not have automatic fans. You would have to use HWinfo to set up an automatic fan profile and make sure it loads when logging in to Windows.

With regards to the 6990M, if after flashing it back to the original vBIOS and performing a clean install of AMD Catalysts you are still receiving screen artifacts I would probably think its a problem on the hardware level. Make sure the card is installed properly with proper heatsink and thermal pad installation to rule out any possible VRM/GPU/vRAM overheating issues.

If that does not work, the card may have been damaged if you removed it and re-installed it after the Clevo vBIOS flash. As a last resort, and if you feel you have nothing to loose, I would suggest baking the card but only if you feel you have exhausted all other options.

I see from your signature that you are triple booting. Is the 6990M exhibiting the same problem in all OS's?

That's just exactly helps. Thanks.

I don't care to lose HDMI, as i never used it. using DP instead.

HWinfo is not an option for me, as i running on Server 2008-R2 and don't want to disable driver signature. and is not safe for me to control hw, by a software from os level.

My 6990M was dead until yesterday, when the replacement memory chips and a GPU arrived, after few hour balling ,and bga rework, IS ALIVE. Probably it was already damaged when i got it. And my friend bought it from me for his m15x.

My main OS is a server 2008-R2 and running a few others on vmware workstation. Not triple booting. Have mac, linux, another two srv2k8-r2 on vmw, and a 32bit win 7 and a win xp for different purposes and mobile repairing for samsung htc sony lg etc etc. That's why i asked for help, because i need a solid card without problems and without the possibility that makes my system intermittently crashing.

Thank you again, i'll go with a clevo card then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am currently going on X-fire for my R2. Have the card, just need to get back home to my black beauty first to do the mod. (hopefully the thermal pads has arrived by now and i can start by wed.) My PSU is upgraded to 330 W so should have the power. Hopefully getting it working stock after installation should be easy.................... (famous last words)

Think I'm going to go OC'ing on the cards eventually.

So:

When installing new VBIOS for OC.

What recommendations have you guys got about the speed to choose from of the VBIOS files? There is plenty of experience here about this and ive never OC'ed GPU before so have no previous knowledge about what to aim for.

Is it heat that will tell me the speed to choose? (guess the "weakest card" thermal wise will dictate since VBIOS version probably should be the same when OC'ing)

Reduced voltages will probably drop temps slightly (and increase life of cards probably) but guess it will make the card unstable. Is this from card to card related and has to be tested as fast as possible for lower voltages?

• 2 weeks later...

MY X-fire didnt work.

My Xfire cable was caput.

Got a new one and my X-fire runs now.

Have problems though, dont know why but its as if its flickering during the combined test, only on the flags. They move WAY to fast and not smoth.

Also as if the graphic tests makes pictures slightly stuttering on all tests.

Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

I've successfully completed the 330W PSU mod!

M17x R2 - 7970M Ghz Edition CrossFire :D

920XM at 25x on all cores with a TDP/TDC of 90/82 and GPU's running 1000/1400 @ 1025v with the latest 13.11 Beta's. No driver tweaks, stock standard CCC apart from the clocks set in OverDrive. Seems the XM is holding these cards back at these speeds. Max power draw was 325W on the first test.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've successfully completed the 330W PSU mod!

M17x R2 - 7970M Ghz Edition CrossFire

:D

920XM at 25x on all cores with a TDP/TDC of 90/82 and GPU's running 1000/1400 @ 1025v with the latest 13.11 Beta's. No driver tweaks, stock standard CCC apart from the clocks set in OverDrive. Seems the XM is holding these cards back at these speeds. Max power draw was 325W on the first test.

Are you serious??

You crossed the R2 power limit and could push the XM CPU and 2x 100W PCI-E cards??

How did you make this work?

The known problem with the 330W(ID) mod has made me not want to mod a M18x PSU to suit a 2nd 680m.

People at NBR would also like to know :snowman:

You just used iamsolidstate's steps or have you figured out a few extra steps to get where you are?

http://www.imsolidstate.com/archives/1162

imsolidstate returned to investigate his 330W mod and fixed the problem that limited the PSU to 240W. He detailed it on his website here. Basically all that needs to be done is ground the ID line coming from the 330W and the PSU works to its full potential delivering up to 440W before tripping.

Its a very easy fix for the 330W mod but you will have an uphill battle trying to get a second 680M to work in the R2 with the SLi certification issues.

I actually took the 330W mod a bit further and made an adapter so I can use either the 240W or the 330W PSU with my machine. I'll put up a guide once I have some time.

• Thumbs Up 1

imsolidstate returned to investigate his 330W mod and fixed the problem that limited the PSU to 240W. He detailed it on his website here. Basically all that needs to be done is ground the ID line coming from the 330W and the PSU works to its full potential delivering up to 440W before tripping.

Its a very easy fix for the 330W mod but you will have an uphill battle trying to get a second 680M to work in the R2 with the SLi certification issues.

I actually took the 330W mod a bit further and made an adapter so I can use either the 240W or the 330W PSU with my machine. I'll put up a guide once I have some time.

KICK.......@SS!!!

Yeah, i forgot about SLI certs....

Did anybody find a solution for that?

hi guys this is my first post:

Upgrademonkey tell me this card should work with a vbios flash...but they cannot guarantee it. I was hoping you guys could confirm or deny it. I want to pull the trigger and start this upgrade process but Im worried about getting the wrong card. I hate admitting noob status but it appears to be true.

Promotion Alienware AMD HD Dell 7970M 2GB GDDR5 FOR M15X M17X M18X Upgrade | eBay

Welcome to T|I nitsun69 :)

Ask the seller to take a photo of the rear of the card and mail it to you. Normally there is a sticker at the back that indicates what vBIOS version the card was shipped with. This should make your decision easier.

Depending on your needs I would recommend getting a CLEVO card instead of the Dell you have in your link. If you require working HDMi audio get the Dell but you will have to use HWinfo for fan control. CLEVO cards on the other hand have auto fan control which is more important to me personally.

Got my 7970M :D picked it up from ebay from pau1ow, the card has been flashed with a bad vbios... Not installed yet still waiting for the x-bracket from HK. Anyone any advice ? I know i know "use search" thanks there are "only" 154 pages just in this topic... Can you read all in one go? Most of the knowledge i covered, vbios versions and fan issues. Planning to install it in my lovely M17X-R2 replacing the cfx 5870M s

The original vbios was dell 015.022.000.001.000000 can i use that?

Thanks,

PS, Anyone know if the m18x left GPU heatsink could be fitted with the card into the R2 chassis

See my reply to your other post here.

Are you saying the card is currently flashed with a bad vBIOS ie. its currently bricked? I don't mean to burst your bubble but that doesn't sound good especially since the original VBIOS is version 015.022.

The M18x heatsink will not fit, its too large.

Welcome to T|I nitsun69 :)

Ask the seller to take a photo of the rear of the card and mail it to you. Normally there is a sticker at the back that indicates what vBIOS version the card was shipped with. This should make your decision easier.

Depending on your needs I would recommend getting a CLEVO card instead of the Dell you have in your link. If you require working HDMi audio get the Dell but you will have to use HWinfo for fan control. CLEVO cards on the other hand have auto fan control which is more important to me personally.

that is good to know. I only use HDMI audio when streaming video to the tv. Could always use the wifes for that :) auto fan would be nice. Is it much of a struggle to change to CF if I go with a single card now? I currently have two 5870 in CF. Also, I heard going to the 7970 will help bring my heat down as the 5870s run real hot. Have you guys noticed that when changing?

Thanks

It's no struggle at all. You can use your current CrossFire cable with the 7970M's and if you want to overclock you will need the modded 330W when you get the second card.

The 7970M's are MUCH cooler. With an ambient of 32C here my idle temps are 38C and load temps are around 70C if I remember correctly. This is with the standard clocks of 850/1200 and 0.975v. My 5870M's used to idle in the +- 48C's and load used to reach +- 88C.

See my reply to your other post here.

Are you saying the card is currently flashed with a bad vBIOS ie. its currently bricked? I don't mean to burst your bubble but that doesn't sound good especially since the original VBIOS is version 015.022.

The M18x heatsink will not fit, its too large.

Yes it was bricked when i got it... I can flash the Pm25lv010 SPI chip directly and is already done with an SP8A flasher I've flashed to 015.017.000.001.042717.

• Thumbs Up 1