[M14x R2] - VBIOS mod for higher boost clocks - TEST VERSIONS ONLY

svl7

hey i read and re-read alot this thread because i found it really interesting for me :)

you said that this unlocked bios will disable the turboboost on CPU right? so, if i want to play CPU-bound games like GTA IV or maybe next GTA V, disabling CPU turbobost will make my fps drop isn't it? because my CPU can't get to 100% of its power

and one last question, is it safe to use your unlocked vbios @950/1400 daily?

sorry for my bad english, im indonesian, cheers :)

CPU Turbo Boost works by figuring the maximum number of safe clock multiplier steps that the system can handle and then divides these steps across all of the active threads. On a quad Core i7 CPU with a maximum multiplier step of 9 you may have a ratio of 2/2/8/9. This means that with a single threaded program the CPU can overclock itself by 9 steps. This boosts that thread from 2.0GHz to 3.2GHz. Two threads will each get an 8 step multiplier taking them to 3.06GHz. Three or four threads will only get 2 steps which boosts them to a mere 2.28GHz. More than four threads get zero steps each.

Most contemporary games like GTA IV and Guild Wars 2 will use up to 4 active CPU threads. That puts the Turbo stepping down to its minimum overclock setting. This is several times more than a single thread at maximum overclock but it isn't much more than four threads at zero overclock.

If you experience noticeable slowdowns with threaded programs after disabling CPU Turbo it's more likely due to bad programming than the system itself. The original Assassin's Creed is a poster child for crap-poor programming.

hey i read and re-read alot this thread because i found it really interesting for me :)

you said that this unlocked bios will disable the turboboost on CPU right? so, if i want to play CPU-bound games like GTA IV or maybe next GTA V, disabling CPU turbobost will make my fps drop isn't it? because my CPU can't get to 100% of its power

and one last question, is it safe to use your unlocked vbios @950/1400 daily?

sorry for my bad english, im indonesian, cheers :)

No, it will not disable turbo boost, some of us have disabled turbo boost because we'd rather have less noise and lower CPU performance.

• 3 weeks later...

I remain curious about what real effect this has on hardware... After two or three years of use I mean...

I suppose it depends on the model and also to each individual laptop itself...

... and off-course on the settings of the overlocking and the way they are used.

We are currently testing A13 unlocked bios's now. After michael sends me the 2nd bios file to test, I will provide an update. The first one seemed to be too big for the flash area (I recieved an error), so they're gonna take another look as to not brick any units :)

@Austinwayne

Still waiting to hear back from Michael, if I here nothing i will send him another message. He said he was going to get svl7 to double check the bios file, as when i had tried to flash i recieved this error (see link), so just waiting to hear back with another bios to try and test. I expect Monday or Tuesday.

Pic of testing the first file and recieving an error: imgur: the simple image sharer

it allowed me to continue but i didnt want to risk it as the bios file seemed to be bigger than the flash area.. so almost certainly a brick if i tried to continue.

Okay cool. Yeah that was probably a smart decision to stop there haha. Which method are you using to flash? I'm wanting to go ahead and get the A11 unlocked bios on but I can't use the FPT method. He seemed to think that unless I was downgraded to A03 first, that it may be dangerous to flash using the boot method?

Actually, turns out I was just being a little stupid. I got it working lol. I'm a little bit new to this stuff so I'm still figuring it out =P

Michael informed me that he sent the new A13 over your way. I'd love to hear about how it's working as soon as you get the chance!

Everything seems to in working order so far. Had no trouble flashing at all. The bios is definitely unlocked. I think all it needs now is that VBIOS patch to unlock overclocking and raise the stock clock to 950mhz from svl7, and then can be released.

• 1 month later...