[M14x R2] - VBIOS mod for higher boost clocks - TEST VERSIONS ONLY

svl7

Im looking forward for the A12 mod Anyone know where I can find the release note for A12 ._.? I did have some sound issue with A11 (possibly the cause, recently update to A12 to check)

I had a sound issue when I installed modded A11 too. Mine's ok now.

I uninstalled the Microsoft sound driver, reinstalled (repaired) the Creative Audio Drivers and then installed Realtek HDMI R2.71 drivers.

Restarted twice and now all ok :-)

I have an M14X R2, with GT 650M GDDR5 (2GB) card with BIOS A12. Please refer the attached Link to BIOS file.

Would highly appreciate if you can mod the BIOS A12 with overclocked settings. Many Thanks in advance.

I have an M14X R2, with GT 650M GDDR5 (2GB) card with BIOS A12. Please refer the attached Link to BIOS file.

Would highly appreciate if you can mod the BIOS A12 with overclocked settings. Many Thanks in advance.

No A12 unlocked BIOS at the moment. Downgrade to A11 from Dell then flash with the unlocked A11 BIOS: forum.techinferno.com/attachments/alienware-m14x/6144d1361824764-%5Bfpt%5D%5Bm14x-r2%5D-bios-a11-unlocked-650m-950-1400-test-v2.zip

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks. I downgraded to A11 from DELL official bios. Then used the unlocked A11 to flash. I'm over the moon with the new overclocked core of 1100 Mhz. Sweet !!

Try 1150/3000, I run those speeds 100% stable

• 2 weeks later...
No A12 unlocked BIOS at the moment. Downgrade to A11 from Dell then flash with the unlocked A11 BIOS: forum.techinferno.com/attachments/alienware-m14x/6144d1361824764-%5Bfpt%5D%5Bm14x-r2%5D-bios-a11-unlocked-650m-950-1400-test-v2.zip

While I appreciate you trying to help, I personally am not a fan of downgrading. Everything is currently working and I see no need to take a step backwards from being impatient.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels this way and would kindly ask if TI can confirm if they're working on A12 or not? If not, fair enough, your decision, you're the ones who are kind enough to offer this in the first place, I just don't want to wait for something which is never going to actually exist :]

I'll try to do it tomorrow. Leave try time for the more complex tasks. B-)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

I guess they are working on it, but as it is free stuff I guess we can't ask for ETA. We could help by donating, if whoever does the magic provides Paypal

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I guess they are working on it, but as it is free stuff I guess we can't ask for ETA. We could help by donating, if whoever does the magic provides Paypal

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I'm absolutely prepared to donate, however, I'm a strong believer in supporting a product or service being provided. I don't mean to sound ungrateful or rude, but I (personally) will donate upon receiving something which has aided me in some way.

Otherwise I'd feel happier giving my (earned) cash to the homeless/charity instead of (most likely /assuming) employed, earning individual. Again, no disrespect to anyone, just my views - I hope you can respect where I'm coming from.

thank for the bios, works a threat!

am now at 1000(core)/2500(mem), the only thing which is left is to be able to adjust the threshold for the GPU throttling.

I am living in the tropics and don't always have aircon on....any hope in that?

I think the throttling is hardware bound. @deadbydawn had serious throttling issues with his new R2 while he didn't have any with the older one... even though he was using the same bios/vbios.... We investigated this and unless we missed something it is hardware bound. There might exist different mobo revisions.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I appreciate you trying to help, I personally am not a fan of downgrading. Everything is currently working and I see no need to take a step backwards from being impatient.

Do you know what the difference between A11 & A12 is? It sounds as though you think running A11 is going to ruin your current "working" system. A11 & A12 are exactly the same except for the "battery issue".

I encountered the battery issue on the a11 version, still its no issue if you connect the power, so I am living with it to enjoy the added gpu power

In order to overcome the 67C throttling, there is advice on using nvidia inspector and force pstates using batch files (one for overclock and one for default), it works also really well!

When i try to install, it says that it is an "invalid file image" when i load up my cpu, then it reverts back to a12, how do i fix this?

you need to install A11 stock first (download from dell support) and then reboot and install a11 "Unlocked"

I did however experience low battery life and occasional sound drivers loss, so I don't think A11 is worth it. The A12 also solves the sporadic shutdowns when gaming on battery power. That said, I really hope we get unlocked A12 soon, but until then I'm staying on A12 Stock.

In order to overcome the 67C throttling, there is advice on using nvidia inspector and force pstates using batch files (one for overclock and one for default), it works also really well!

Yes, I've looked into that but that's more of a bandaid then a real fix. It's a pain to always be running Bat files everytime you want to game. At least I think it is. But there HAS to be a way to disable or raise this threshold, although no one seems to be able to do it.

you need to install A11 stock first (download from dell support) and then reboot and install a11 "Unlocked"

I did however experience low battery life and occasional sound drivers loss, so I don't think A11 is worth it. The A12 also solves the sporadic shutdowns when gaming on battery power. That said, I really hope we get unlocked A12 soon, but until then I'm staying on A12 Stock.

This is my reasoning for sticking to A12 as well. Even if it accidentally unplugs while on gaming on A11, it can shutdown. Which, if you havent saved in awhile, can be frustrating. With that said, I too hope the Unlocked A12 comes out soon, seeing as this seems to be probably the last BIOS for M14x R2, and it's been awhile since A12 has been out.

Do you know what the difference between A11 & A12 is? It sounds as though you think running A11 is going to ruin your current "working" system. A11 & A12 are exactly the same except for the "battery issue".

That is the reason I have to stick with A12. I frequently travel between Canada and the UK, so the battery issue is a problem for me (you have no idea how much a couple hours with the laptop on that duration flight can help!)

I'm aware that simply using A11 will not ruin my system, it will just be an inconvenience. Thanks for your concern and attempts at helping though.

Also, it appears there are others who are unwilling to downgrade. /and given that the new Alienware laptops have been released, it could mean that A12 is the last BIOS for the M14XR2.

• 3 weeks later...

3rd'd! It seems like A12 will be the last update, although maybe if they fix the 66 degree throttle, they'd release another one, but i doubt it

edit: and of course after i say this they release A13! although there doesnt seem to be any real changes..