[M14x R2] - VBIOS mod for higher boost clocks - TEST VERSIONS ONLY

svl7

Yeah haha. hey mate its working perfectly now!!!! wooohoooo!!!!!!!! i just reflashed it with the correct one haha :P everything is working perfectly mate. :)

- - - Updated - - -

what bios default? after i flashed i went to the bios and just set eveything to default then save and exit

yes haha :) the screen messed up like low resolution then random drivers started installing ang the nvidi gpu not detected :P but now everything is ok :) i tried to do furmark but it still throttles down 545. and i look up at gpuz there is still boost

yes haha :) the screen messed up like low resolution then random drivers started installing ang the nvidi gpu not detected :P but now everything is ok :) i tried to do furmark but it still throttles down 545. and i look up at gpuz there is still boost

I have the same problem! Low res., drivers stars installing.. But how do you solved the gpu problem? I cant install nvidia driver...But now i have a11 unlcoked bios

i just reflashed it with a11 unlocked bios v2. then everything was working properly.

Thanks! It works good (after some blindflash and windows install) With the m17 bios my computer booted, dont crashed down but the gpu is not detected in the bios. This modified m14 test2 solved the problem.

good work!

• Founder
Thanks! It works good (after some blindflash and windows install) With the m17 bios my computer booted, dont crashed down but the gpu is not detected in the bios. This modified m14 test2 solved the problem.

good work!

Why did you even try flashing the m17x bios??

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Why did you even try flashing the m17x bios??

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Firstly I installed the first unlcoked v1 a11 but i always get error 252. After you modified it i tried this one: [FPT]-M17x_R4_BIOS_A11_-_[unlocked]V2.zip (download from the 1st page). When i completed i noticed that u updated it to [FPT][M14x R2] BIOS A11 'unlocked' - 650m 950-1400 - TEST-V2.zip. It works good, i just tested it....

edit: @Michael! Is it possible to adjust the voltage that dont drop from 1,037 to 1,012? svl7 said that it is possible sometime but he too busy right now to do this. I can send log file or whatever u need :)

Well, I followed all the instructions to the letter and it seems to have worked. I haven't noticed anything unusual other than that the GPU clocks seem to be set to 950/1000 stock, not the 950/1400 mentioned in the first post on this thread. I managed to clock it up to 1030/1500 for a quick test without issues but the GPU starts to artifact with the clock above about 1100. All in, pretty good.

Edit:

1130/1500

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/6039838

@ Quix Omega

I Tried your setting on my M14x r2. and it performs very very well. When i was using the stock A11 when i play black ops 2 on all max settings the game lags when to much is happening on the screen. But when i used your overclock setting everyhting runs smoothly :) no lags at all haha!!!

• Thumbs Up 1

There are a couple of weak links in the R2 design.

One is the shared cooling system. CPU and GPU share a pair of heat pipes connected to the fan assembly. If something runs too hot then everything is throttled. A riser stand that opens up airflow under the fan assembly helps tremendously (see my test results here: http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x/1755-m14x-cooling-3.html#post28820).

The other is the display panel. Don't get me wrong. The 1600x900 panel is beautiful. But like most notebook displays it has a refresh rate of 60Hz. This limits what the GPU is allowed to push.

A11 UNLOCKED

950/1000 - STOCK

www.3dmark.com is experiencing some turbulence

MSI Afterburner

950/1400 - GFX BUGs ON BENCHMARKING

1150/1400 - GFX BUGs ON BENCHMARKING

1170/1200 - STABLE FOR ME

1170/1400

1170/1500 - GFX BUGs ON BENCHMARKING

EDIT: CPU BOOST ON / WIN8 / 314,07 - with GFX BUGs i mean, texture errors.

There we go. A11 unlocked flashed to the board. Turbo disabled in firmware. BD PROCHOT disabled with ThrottleStop. GPU set to 1090/1500 with Afterburner. 3DMARK11 score of P2981:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,Alienware M14xR2 score: P2981 3DMarks

Respectable compared to the default A11 unlocked default 950/1000 (yes, it is 950/1000 here, not 950/1400 as advertised) score of 2597.

Does it make a difference having turbo boost on or off in the bios?

Managing a 3d mark of just over 3000 on 1100/1300

Which considering i have the top end i7 chip is a bit less than i expected. Seen users with the older sandybridge and the lesser spec ivy bridge with higher scores using the same overclock..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Does it make a difference having turbo boost on or off in the bios?

Probably. Disabling turbo boost isn't a performance thing. It's a cooling thing. The CPU and GPU share the same heat pipes and fan, right? With default settings, if the CPU runs hot then the cooling system throttles the GPU. This is not good for games which don't really need all of the processing power that the Ivy Bridge i7's can deliver. Disabling the BD PROCHOT (bi-directional processor hot) signal ensures that the cooling system doesn't throttle the GPU if the CPU runs hot, and disabling turbo boost ensures that the CPU doesn't run hot. Net benefit: both CPU and GPU run consistently without throttling. This is more important to me than getting the highest possible benchmark score.