[M14x R2] - VBIOS mod for higher boost clocks - TEST VERSIONS ONLY

svl7

When I'm posting testing version and you decided to use them, then I also expect something in return... Feedback!

Else I can't improve these mods, I don't have an M14x. If I don't get feedback and some data I see no need in posting public testing versions but will rather give them to users of whom I know that they will provide me with the information I need.Thanks.

EDIT:

New way of flashing for versions labelled with [FPT] - Refer to the "Dos flashing" instructions found in this post for the tools and details.

If you're going for the A11 mod then I recommend first flashing A11 stock, and then following the instructions in the link above.

Current test versions:M14x R2 - BIOS A10 - unlocked BIOS with 650m @ 950MHz core / 1400MHz memory for 3d clocks. Increased overclocking limits. No boost.

M14x R2 - BIOS A11 - unlocked BIOS with 650m @ 950MHz core / 1400MHz memory for 3d clocks. Increased overclocking limits. No boost.

[FPT][M14x R2] BIOS A11 'unlocked' - 650m 950-1400 - TEST-V2.zip

[M14x R2] BIOS A10 'unlocked' - 650m 950-1400 - TEST.zip

• Thumbs Up 24

NM I got it to work. The system tries to balance the power between the gpu and cpu. What I did was I had to boot up on battery, set my high performance power option to 100 percent for everything. Plug in the power cable. Shut down and then let it re-detect it on the startup again. So let me keep testing it to see how it does... even with this new driver 304.48 which I score 40 points lower from the older 301.34 , 40 and 42 whql I now achieve over 2700 in 3dmark11. Keep in mind this is NOT my highest graphics score. Just my highest overall score. I bet money that if I disable turbo in bios my graphics score will achieve over 2500 as the system does that weirdo crap with the power balance.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor,Alienware M14xR2 score: P2705 3DMarks

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks a lot for the fast testing @Stevenxowens792! Really appreciated!! Could you post a screenshot of the GPU-Z main tab and possibly attach a GPU-Z log file? How's it going with overclocking?

Hey svl7, any news on an unlocked bios for the R2? is it even possible?

Well, I'm not 100% sure, I did look at it a while ago, and the structure of the BIOS looks a bit different, I think it should be possible somehow, but I don't have a system to test it myself and I really don't want anyone flashing something which is likely to brick the machine. I don't consider myself an expert when it comes to unlocking. Usually I'm only asking people to test something which I'm sure about that it is safe to flash (e.g. this VBIOS mod).

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome, thanks, so I found some of the proper offsets. :) Can you tell me what the max possible value is for overclocking the core with tools like MSI AB, with this VBIOS?

No throttling as confirmed by msi. Played bf3 last night and diablo3.

- - - Updated - - -

It will be 135 + your turbo adjustment (200). MSI will only allow 135 for GPU (as does the other overclocking tools)

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the gpu-z screenshot with max overclock. Notice it shows the updated boost clock of 1070. (stock is 745). Yeah... now to see if that's stable... LOL

post-200-14494993307_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Hehehe, very nice, if you get the chance, can you please attach a GPU-Z log file here (or send it to me per email) I'd like to check it out, I'm wondering whether there's a better way to do this, I want to see whether the card acts as expected.

Your GPU load isn't at 100% all the time... kinda weird if you ask me. Temps are ok... so it might be a power issue, no idea, I'm a bit confused at the moment.

Btw, did you try the latest beta drivers? People report that it allows to clock higher on mem and core...

Is it or will it ever be possible to use this custom VBios on laptops other than the m14x? I have an HP dv6t-7000 and I'd really like to push my clocks just a bit further than the typical +135/+1000 since I know there's a lot more headroom.

Is it or will it ever be possible to use this custom VBios on laptops other than the m14x?

First of all, welcome to T|I!

Should be possible, however I'm still researching the VBIOS and this was only a first (but still successful :P) mod... If you're really interested in this and promise me to actually test it and provide me with some feedback then I'll take a look at when I get around to. I need a link to a current BIOS version of your system and a GPU-Z verification or screenshot and if possible a GPU-Z log. Please send this per PM as it is pretty off-topic here. I will create a proper thread when the time comes.

SVL that gpu-z sensor was from BF3 not 3dmark11. Its only going to process what it needs. Im using 304.48 (beta) and thats what I was using when testing. Its ok, little instable sometimes. Clock limits are the same for me (but thanks to you I can go higher). Thanks again for all your effort!

Hi guys, great work on the custom vBIOS svl7! And well done for being brave enough to test it Stevenx

I have just received my i5 m14x r2 and will give this BIOS a go, but I wondered if it is possible to also increase the speed of the battery clocks? (p5 I think, currently run at 405/800). I am using nvidia inspector to boost them to 500/1000 whilst on battery which is great but would love to add them into the vBIOS if possible

Let me take a look at this, might be possible. I think only the 3d profile works with boost clocks, so this should be an easy fix...

Brilliant thanks mate! From my testing the battery clocks do not have any boost so you are correct, only the 3d profile turbos