M14xR1 Bios issues

The GPU of my m14x is 3G GT555M(GF116). I learnt that I can only use A08 bios, because only the A08 bios have the right vbios for the GPU. But the problem is that A08 limits SATA2 , so I cant get the full speed of my sata3 ssd. Can I extract the vbios of A08 main bios, and then flash to the A05 bios, and then use tools like NVflash to flash the vbios of A08 to make the GT555M run correctly? Could anyone please tell me whether this plan can be realized? And I am not very familiar with bios and I dont know how to extract vbios from the main bios, could please anyone extract the vbios of the A08 bios?

Many thanks in advance.Miza1vrVe8KgGAoJL5gwqQgeZz4GMXlcHl8xozQ3kW3KTajL9zsBJ1+sV0fgPALem+XApRApwO4ioI1UpC76zJ4fRqDBjI+LFyFhH1iiS59fkgziW07jjRAG5QDeECOLk2Tj6KjnZafW6hAej6Smgavr6yysza2tiCuMasUF2Yov2gZUUQbU8YaaqjLpQkAOw==

PS: I am a foreigner, and if there are some errors in grammar, please just forgive me.:tennis:

@svl7

Thank you very much!!! Then could you please put the GF116 vbios in BIOS A05? I really want to get the full speed of my ssd with graphic card running correctly.

eF+nDoB9OSk2dV2Vrx2Tf6bjODsGAL+HBiUMvQTG+gAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

And if it is not difficult could please also increase the voltage of GT555M for me?

Many thanks in advance!!!

Ok, here's the BIOS, A05 with the GF116 vbios and overvolted. Ah, and unlocked as bonus :P

I think it should work, however I can't guarantee it since I can't test it myself. So, as always with such mods - use on your own risk.

Please let me know how it works, thanks.

EDIT: Test unsuccessful - file removed

Ok, here's the BIOS, A05 with the GF116 vbios and overvolted. Ah, and unlocked as bonus :P

I think it should work, however I can't guarantee it since I can't test it myself. So, as always with such mods - use on your own risk.

Please let me know how it works, thanks.

Only GF116 users should flash this.

Thank you very much! But I am afraid that the bios doesnt work correctly, the ssd works fine now but the GPU still doesnt work.

post-3990-14494993304242_thumb.pngthe same problem as directly using A05 BIOS.

Maybe I can first flash the A05 BIOS, and then use some tools like NVflash to flash the VBIOS seperately?

post-3990-14494993303837_thumb.png

post-3990-14494993304067_thumb.png

Alright, this is a slightly modified version of A08 which hopefully gives you the same SATA behavior as A05...

This is mod is a bit different... and as previously mentioned, I can't test it myself. I'm not sure whether it will work as supposed. Use at your own risk, I take no responsibility for possible issues.

In the worst case you should still be able to recover your system with the Insyde BIOS recovering method.

Please report back if you're going to flash it.

Edit: And to answer your question... no, unfortunately you can't use nvflash for changing the vbios since it is integrated in the bios... you can only do it the hard way, modifying the bios.

Edit 2: Test not completely successful, file removed

Alright, this is a slightly modified version of A08 which hopefully gives you the same SATA behavior as A05...

This is mod is a bit different... and as previously mentioned, I can't test it myself. I'm not sure whether it will work as supposed. Use at your own risk, I take no responsibility for possible issues.

In the worst case you should still be able to recover your system with the Insyde BIOS recovering method.

Please report back if you're going to flash it.

Edit: And to answer your question... no, unfortunately you can't use nvflash for changing the vbios since it is integrated in the bios... you can only do it the hard way, modifying the bios.

Thanks for your response! I try the M14xR1_A08_sata3_test. But the unfortunately, the result is the same as the previos A05_GF116 fix BIOS. The ssd can work at the speed of SATA3, but the graphic card cannot work correctly...

post-3990-14494993304448_thumb.pngIt's very tricky... Did you edit the VBIOS of A08 in the A08_sata3_test BIOS, or just use the default the VBIOS of A08 BIOS?

Alright, SATA 3 works, nice :D

I really see no reason why the GPU shouldn't work fine, this is based on A08 and I didn't touch the vbios, except for the voltage.... try re-installing the driver and loading the defaults in the BIOS.

Edit: Ok, I think there could be a little issue with the changes I made in the BIOS... but lets try the driver first. If it doesn't work I'll create another two files for testing.

I really see no reason why the GPU shouldn't work fine, this is based on A08 and I didn't touch the vbios, except for the voltage.... try re-installing the driver and loading the defaults in the BIOS.

Edit: Ok, I think there could be a little issue with the changes I made in the BIOS... but lets try the driver first. If it doesn't work I'll create another two files for testing.

OK, I am reinstalling the driver now.FY+Gav4ME4Mfv7M5PAQYAzrxiaTIvJb0AAAAASUVORK5CYII=

- - - Updated - - -

I've loaded the defaults in the BIOS and reinstalled the drive, but the GT555M still cant work. I think the issue is caused by the BIOS.

EDIT: The same error code 43 in device Manager

Ok, I'm running out of options... this should fix it. Once again, this is based on A08 with some changes which should bring the same SATA behavior as in A05, plus I increased the GPU voltage of the 3d profile.

Please let me know how it goes.

As previously, use at your own risk. But seeing that it went well with the last test I see no reason why this one should be problematic.

Edit: File removed, test successful. The modified BIOS can be found here: http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x/1786-m14x-r1-bios-a08-sata-fix.html

And including the voltmod here: http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m14x/561-%5Bmod%5D-voltage-increase-nvidia-gt-555m-7.html#post12003

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, I'm running out of options... this should fix it. Once again, this is based on A08 with some changes which should bring the same SATA behavior as in A05, plus I increased the GPU voltage of the 3d profile.

Please let me know how it goes.

As previously, use at your own risk. But seeing that it went well with the last test I see no reason why this one should be problematic.

Succeed!!! My ssd now is running at the SATA3 speed, and the GT555M is running correctly!!!

Thank you very very much!!!:tennis::tennis::tennis:

post-3990-14494993304681_thumb.png

post-3990-14494993304932_thumb.png

post-3990-14494993305146_thumb.png

I will then do some stability test and run 3dmark to see if there are some bugs.

Many thanks again for your help!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hehehe, awesome! Thanks a lot for testing!

I have run the 3dmark 11, and I think I get a good score.

GT555M i7 2760QM 8G 1600 Crucial M4 128G ssd gets a score of P1965!

Here is the link: NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2760QM Processor,Alienware M14xR1 score: P1965 3DMarks

I think the BIOS works perfectly, and I cant find any bugs till now.eF+nDoB9OSk2dV2Vrx2Tf6bjODsGAL+HBiUMvQTG+gAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Great! Fantastic score, nice overclock you got there!

Report a bug: when I am running 3dMark06(overlock), it cant read the model of my graphic card, but the result turned out that the graphic score is very high, but the cpu score is very low, only 42xx(I tested two times.). But when I am running 3dMark11(overlock), the cpu score is alright, and the cpu score of windows experience index is also proper.

maybe that's just a bug of 3dmark06...

Yeah, probably a 3dMark06 issue, I benched a lot in the past, and I experienced some serious issues with 3dM06 once in a while, no idea why, but once in a while only reinstalling all of the .NET stuff and Futuremark software solved it.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's 3dmark06 for sure. Desktop rigs even have same issue... Hard to notice but on. Crucial seen the cpu speeds drop by a lot and return back to normal from a glitch messing up the cpu score. Plus the scoring differs from 3dmark to 3dmark. Vantage is best for checking cpu our of all of the versions.

@svl7 very nice job once again that's quite a nice mod to get all that working together.

• Thumbs Up 1

@svl7

I want to reproduce the BIOS you made on some Chinese Computer Forum to benefit others(I come from China). I will definitely clarify the copyright of this BIOS. So I'd like to ask you whether you agree with my plan. If you do not think this is a good idea, I will never do this.:)