To wait or to upgrade now?

daveh98

Whats up techinferno bros..and broettes. So I am really happy right now with my m18x and 580SLI setup. All games run well enough but these new 680's are looking to be absolutely amazing. Are people going to jump on an instant upgrade or wait it out for prices to drop and drives to mature? It looks like it will be a relatively easy upgrade with no power adders needed. I am just torn on the upgrade because, while I like to be at the bleeding edge, I also like Return on Investment. And with the 580's still doing a great job, I am actually debating waiting until i need to upgrade for a game. What do you all plan to do? Peace.

I had further issues as mentioned on 580m in argh! Thread and as you know I had my faulty cards replaced with 7970m. 680m may be quite a card but by time a few games really need this type of performance 7970m should be very attainable for cheap. The 680m will be still double the 7970m cost even when prices go down they will still be proportionately worlds apart in cost. Besides by time games need this type of performance you'll probably see Nvidia 700 series and AMD 8000 series.

If you get anxious dual 7970m is about as much as one 675m/580m. With heatsinks that is. About $1200 with new heatsinks for 7970m crossfire. Driver stinks though and may be a long time before it actually does well in crossfire. The 680M should be quite a powerful card and somewhere above a 7970m but at nearly double the price. This is how ATI/AMD and Nvidia have gone since the dawn of time. You want the best we pay for the best sometimes more than others. Lol ce la vie.